Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

G3 RS Track Report

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 06:16 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 03-turbo911
Last friday I went to the track and it was pretty hot. 93 degrees outside tempreture. It's still on stock factory settings but it never even threatened to oversteer. It was very controlable and understeer wasn't pronounced at all. Other than changing the camber, I'm not doing anything else to it.

A friend of mine who's got Cup car experience and has a 996 GT3 Clubsport drove mine and pronounced it perfect. He was amazed at the level of grip and predictability built-in.
Khalid, please clarify "stock setting". Do you mean the factory settings for "street" or factory settings for "circuit"? Thanks...
Old 05-07-2007, 06:18 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Factory settings for the track Booby.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:38 PM
Racerron
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

03-turbo911

I'm glad to hear that your car is perfect, but then you are part of the ROW, I think this gives more credence to my theory that the car has been severely dumbed down for the litigious side of the Atlantic. Porsche is afraid that we may bump our head on the roll cage, get stuck in the bucket seats and inadvertently deploy the fire system and then crash the car and sue them. Or not be able to figure out how to start the car after the battery cut-off has been pulled. Also heaven forbid we should stub a toe on the rear cage mounts, while getting in the back to clean the glass rear window, and break a toe nail.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:41 PM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Racerron
03-turbo911

I'm glad to hear that your car is perfect, but then you are part of the ROW, I think this gives more credence to my theory that the car has been severely dumbed down for the litigious side of the Atlantic. Porsche is afraid that we may bump our head on the roll cage, get stuck in the bucket seats and inadvertently deploy the fire system and then crash the car and sue them. Or not be able to figure out how to start the car after the battery cut-off has been pulled. Also heaven forbid we should stub a toe on the rear cage mounts, while getting in the back to clean the glass rear window, and break a toe nail.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:43 PM
krC2S
Racer

03-turbo911

i understand your frustration but it's just an issue of car setup..the missing stuff are DOT 's fault not porsche's
Old 05-07-2007, 10:50 PM
Racerron
Racer

[QUOTE=mooty]why did ron only put -1.5up front?

I drive my cars a lot on the street and I found this to be a very good compromise. Just enough camber for the track and not enough to wear the tires too badly on the inside for the street.

I have used this setting on my 996GT3 since new and found it to suit me fine and of course no understeer issues with that baby.

I have to say though that the sound track on the RS is a rear joy and the engine is awesome, unfortunately the compliments stop there.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:53 PM
Racerron
Racer

Originally Posted by krC2S
i understand your frustration but it's just an issue of car setup..the missing stuff are DOT 's fault not porsche's
The 996GT3 didn't need set-up it was good to go right out of the box, except for a good alignment. I've never touched the anti-roll bars from the factory settings, they were perfect for me.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:59 PM
frayed
Race Car

Anyone with the PET database able to check the euro vs. US part numbers? That would clear things up.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:01 PM
krC2S
Racer

The 996GT3 didn't need set-up it was good to go right out of the box, except for a good alignment. I've never touched the anti-roll bars from the factory settings, they were perfect for me.
i am sure a good alignment will do the same to the 997 it's just a matter of finding the right numbers .. my real complaint is the artificial feel of SPASM
Old 05-08-2007, 12:01 AM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Racerron]
Originally Posted by mooty
why did ron only put -1.5up front?

I drive my cars a lot on the street and I found this to be a very good compromise. Just enough camber for the track and not enough to wear the tires too badly on the inside for the street.

I have used this setting on my 996GT3 since new and found it to suit me fine and of course no understeer issues with that baby.

I have to say though that the sound track on the RS is a rear joy and the engine is awesome, unfortunately the compliments stop there.
fwiw stock street alignment specs are -1.33 deg. for front camber not far from -1.5deg. the 7 might need a very different setup than the 6.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:39 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Like mooty said, it's a new car and we all got to get used to it to find the right settings.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:47 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Ron spent half is week-end laying on the asphalt trying to dial in the car. Not fun at all when you just spent a huge amount of money for a "perfect car". Hey Ron, what was it again; even if you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig!!
Old 05-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Apex Late
Instructor

Originally Posted by doc2s
i would suggest that you take your car to the shop and read out the "current" alignment specs to see if things have migrated. this will give you a reference to how to change things. if toe has changes and is uneven on both sides the car would not want to rotate. did you do a ride height check and corner balance? sometimes cars don't come from the factory the way they should.

a small toe out in the front 2' to 3' would help and would not be excessive for street. if you are worried about tire wear on the street -3deg is a lot.

can you post pics of your fr/rr tires?

watch the later part of this video of a 997gt3 (MaxT from rennteam). the driver at the time had -2.8deg camber in the front and -2.5 deg. in the back. as you will see he would create oversteer at corner entry so the understeer problem you experience is not inherent to the 997 chassis it's likely has to do with setup. he was also running stock tires.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lZYz5L53jgU

here is MaxT etup details from oen of his posts "camber is -2.8" front and -2.5" rear and I had to use the spacer kit from Porsche Motorsport on the front to get those levels of camber. Car was lowered 1 cm at the front and slightly less at the rear. Swaybars are now one position harder on the front and 1 position softer on the rear."

not sure what sway bar settings are referenced to. may be stock.
Thanks for the post. I watched the video and althogh that might be a good way to get around for the fans it is NOT the fast way around the course. I may not be an expert on video review either but I would say Max was definately experiencing understeer. If you watch the wheel position relative to the corners he was going through I would say that he had a lot of wheel in in many of the "shallow" corners. Without being cocky I can drive my car like Max but at most of the tracks around here I would get a black flag (and should get a black flag) because that's just not the way around.

Additionally his bar settings (if from stock) should not produce the footage that we are seeing on this video. I'm really confused by this information.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:32 AM
frayed
Race Car

Max was just fooking around. He was doing big driftin' on an open lapping day for fun; and understeery RWD car can be drifted, just as one with oversteer can be. You can't conclude anything from that video.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:29 AM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

apex,

as i mentioned in the earlier post the point of the video is not to advocate maxt driving as the FAST way around the track and nor to question whether you could drive this way if you wanted. the video was in response to your comment on experiencing excessive understeer from corner entry to track out the whole event depite trying to get the tail loose. that is why i pointed to it being an issues with car setup in my previous post.

did you find out what your sway bar settings were?

Quick Reply: G3 RS Track Report