Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 01:47 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,702 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex Late
KrC2S,

I will be the first person to admit that I'm not an expert where set-up is concerned. I just drive em. Do you have this ability? I will be glad to tell you what the car is doing and if you (or anyone else out there) can help I will implement the changes this week and try them this Friday at the same track.

Here is what I have now

Front -3
Front Toe 0
Caster 8 degrees
Sway bar Stock (1 from stiff I believe)

Rear - 2.9
Rear Toe in at 10 minutes
Caster 8 degrees
Sway bar Stock (1 from stiff I believe)

Also 8 degrees of attack angle in the wing.

The car does not turn in well at speed or in slow corners. Instant understeer at turn in that it enhanced if throtle is added. From apex to exit the understeer continues with progressive throtle. Basically it understeers through the enitre corner. I had heard from others that the car gets loose and I could only get this condition with abrupt steering inputs or when I dropped out of the throtle abruptly. I would love a loose car right now.

Can someone help?
stock setting for front bar is one from SOFT.
if u are one from HARD, you will push
Old 05-07-2007, 01:49 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by frayed
. I *completely* understand the frustration given the understeer I had in my E36 before I got things setup right.

ah, so it's not me then. running 5 deg camber up front
Old 05-07-2007, 01:52 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

That's what I was worried about (with reference to the front bar). Not a ton of adjustability there.

As for keeping the faith. I'm doing my best and I appreciate that part of the process is working through set-up issues. My disappointment is that Porsche has not given us much to work with. It looks like the 997 will be an aftermarket dream at this point.
cmon, dont give up now.
car is too new.
i had a lot of issue that i work'd through in my cayman s and the 6gt3 when they were new.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:52 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't get it. Now to be fair, my car has been aligned, corner balanced and lowered to the max the geometry will allow but I though there was too much oversteer last weekend. Again, this was on a very hot track with limited grip. I am coming from a very tweaked out 996 C-2.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:01 PM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

I was thinking the same thing. BUT the sway bar settings up front are not confirmed. I was told that it was one from stiff but Ron said that when he jacked his car up he found that it was in fact one from full soft. I will report once I have it up on the lift tomorrow.
if the bars turn out to be set at stock settings (1 from full soft front, full hard rear) you could try puting the front full soft and reducing rear camber. front toe out will help not only in turn in but also in mid corner rotation especially at corners with decreasing radius like the ones bob was referring to.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:56 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mitch236
I don't get it. Now to be fair, my car has been aligned, corner balanced and lowered to the max the geometry will allow but I though there was too much oversteer last weekend. Again, this was on a very hot track with limited grip. I am coming from a very tweaked out 996 C-2.
my had track alignmen (per manual, as a base set up, not on track yet). i have been driving rather insanely in a "secret test route" near my place.

the car is as stable as you can get. i can little back off throttle 50% and not go off the cliff (yes, i did try). i can get the back to move and re settle it with throttle easily but nothing felt like oversteer to me.

i came from pretty tweaked 6gt3 on moton coilovers.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:04 PM
krC2S
Racer

Originally Posted by doc2s
if the bars turn out to be set at stock settings (1 from full soft front, full hard rear) you could try puting the front full soft and reducing rear camber. front toe out will help not only in turn in but also in mid corner rotation especially at corners with decreasing radius like the ones bob was referring to.
Apex i think this pretty much sums it up if the sway bars are at minimal understeer possible then make the front have more camber than the rear+ toe out will help turn in
Old 05-07-2007, 03:26 PM
Apex Late
Instructor

Originally Posted by doc2s

I've heard that this will shred tires. Is this correct? I've never had toe out on a car that wasn't track only. I don't log a lot of street miles but there is always the to and from the track stuff. Also if the front is -3 what do you think a good balance would be for the rear? Please remember that I'm running sport cups and they like a little more camber than most.

What else could I do (from a set-up perspective) to get this car to rotate. I'm worried that the sway bars won't give me much and we are talking about a lot of push here.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

Seems like going with 9 inch wide wheels and 245s instead of 8.5 inch wheels and 235s was a good move for one of the GT3 owners on this board who got some track wheels and tires. I wouldn't if 9.5 with 255 or 265 could be coerced to fit.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Apex Late
Instructor

Originally Posted by Yargk
Seems like going with 9 inch wide wheels and 245s instead of 8.5 inch wheels and 235s was a good move for one of the GT3 owners on this board who got some track wheels and tires. I wouldn't if 9.5 with 255 or 265 could be coerced to fit.
I think the problem would be finding a 245 that fit. Is there one that I don't know of?
Old 05-07-2007, 04:15 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Last friday I went to the track and it was pretty hot. 93 degrees outside tempreture. It's still on stock factory settings but it never even threatened to oversteer. It was very controlable and understeer wasn't pronounced at all. Other than changing the camber, I'm not doing anything else to it.

A friend of mine who's got Cup car experience and has a 996 GT3 Clubsport drove mine and pronounced it perfect. He was amazed at the level of grip and predictability built-in.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:21 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Per Khalid's post, there may be something to the "NA market versus ROW" angle... Thanks Bob & others for the commentary... I will follow this topic very carefully!

-B
Old 05-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Apex Late
Instructor

Originally Posted by 03-turbo911
Last friday I went to the track and it was pretty hot. 93 degrees outside tempreture. It's still on stock factory settings but it never even threatened to oversteer. It was very controlable and understeer wasn't pronounced at all. Other than changing the camber, I'm not doing anything else to it.

A friend of mine who's got Cup car experience and has a 996 GT3 Clubsport drove mine and pronounced it perfect. He was amazed at the level of grip and predictability built-in.

I'm glad to hear that you've had a good experience with your car thus far and that youwon't have to make many changes to the car to suit your driving style. You are very fortunate indeed. Although I don't share the opinion of you and your friend (with reference to it being perfect) I appreciate that each person will require different things from a car on the track.

Enjoy your new car.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:27 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Thanks and yes I am enjoying the heck out of it. He meant that it was as perfect as any car he's driven with factory settings.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:57 PM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

I've heard that this will shred tires. Is this correct? I've never had toe out on a car that wasn't track only. I don't log a lot of street miles but there is always the to and from the track stuff. Also if the front is -3 what do you think a good balance would be for the rear? Please remember that I'm running sport cups and they like a little more camber than most.

What else could I do (from a set-up perspective) to get this car to rotate. I'm worried that the sway bars won't give me much and we are talking about a lot of push here.

i would suggest that you take your car to the shop and read out the "current" alignment specs to see if things have migrated. this will give you a reference to how to change things. if toe has changes and is uneven on both sides the car would not want to rotate. did you do a ride height check and corner balance? sometimes cars don't come from the factory the way they should.

a small toe out in the front 2' to 3' would help and would not be excessive for street. if you are worried about tire wear on the street -3deg is a lot.

can you post pics of your fr/rr tires?

watch the later part of this video of a 997gt3 (MaxT from rennteam). the driver at the time had -2.8deg camber in the front and -2.5 deg. in the back. as you will see he would create oversteer at corner entry so the understeer problem you experience is not inherent to the 997 chassis it's likely has to do with setup. he was also running stock tires.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lZYz5L53jgU

here is MaxT etup details from oen of his posts "camber is -2.8" front and -2.5" rear and I had to use the spacer kit from Porsche Motorsport on the front to get those levels of camber. Car was lowered 1 cm at the front and slightly less at the rear. Swaybars are now one position harder on the front and 1 position softer on the rear."

not sure what sway bar settings are referenced to. may be stock.

Last edited by doc2s; 05-07-2007 at 07:19 PM.

Quick Reply: G3 RS Track Report