Finally, Definitive Answer from Porsche: NO '08 RS

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Carrera2kid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally, Definitive Answer from Porsche: NO '08 RS

Guys,
I just got back from my Porsche dealer in Connecticut this morning.
The sales manager reports that he just spent three days with the Carrera 20 Group, a group of the twenty largest dealers in North America who meet twice a year to go over financial records, share best practices, and so on. The Porsche representative, EVO KAUSSEN, told the group there will be no new RS's in '08. There may be a few cars sprinkled around at the end (perhaps the famous thirty "pool cars"), but there will no new edition of the car in '08, and yes, if the last of the run is produced after the factory holiday in the summer, perhaps the last few cars may be listed as '08's, but the definitive message is that it is a one year run. The GT3, however, will be produced in '08. This is the same word I got at the Amelia Island Concours in March, but I now have a name from Porsche to put with the information.

My sales manager also opined that this is a reaction to the poor aftermarket prices (relatively) of the GT2 and the Carrera GT, where the common wisdom holds that the only thing wrong with those cars (in the aftermarket) is that PAG made too many. By way of context, my dealer sold 17 Carrera GT's, had 15 names on the RS list before they stopped taking names (they got three cars), and they have 2 (yes, TWO) names on the 997 GT2 list. They routinely deliver two 997 Turbos per month.

The observation from my sales manager that PAG may have harmed the market for the GT2 by makng the GT3 so good...not many seem excited about the GT2 at a price close to $100k above the current GT3 (see above data point). That certainly seems to be the case in Connecticut. We'll see.

He also has a customer that is telling him that a dealer in Florida is swearing to him (the customer) that the RS is going to be offered in '08, so the customer (who is number one on the '08 RS list in Florida) is interested in selling his '07 RS at sticker plus $50K. My guy is telling his customer not to do it, as there will be no '08. That said, my guy has a customer waiting to scoop it up at that price, and indeed sold two in the last month (used) at $50K over. Don't be too hard on them, though, because my dealer paid $30K+ over to pick them up USED, and they sold all of their new car RS allocation at MSRP (including the one they sold me).

Anyway, that's the story. If you've got one, good for you. Don't crash it or let Eddie Griffin drive it. If you don't, take this information for what its worth and act as you think is appropriate if you'd like to get one. If I was on the '08 RS list at my dealer, I wouldn't be saving the garage space. Personally, as I now have a number of friends who, having seen my car, would love to get an RS, I'm disappointed at the news. At the RS price point, I believe that making another 250 cars is like spitting in the ocean, so I don't believe that building an '08 would have any lasting impact on the aftermarket value of my RS (there were 1500 '73 RS's produced, after all, and a restored '73 routinely goes for $250K now).

However, based on the above and the fact that we've now got a Porsche "named" source to put with the latest "speculation" that has been going on for months, I believe this information to be definitive (finally). For what it's worth...

Ray
'07 RS
'05 Carrera GT
'64 Carrera 2 Coupe
'62 Twin Grille
'55 Speedster
Old 05-05-2007, 01:32 PM
GT3MK1
Instructor

funny!

the RS is same as the GT3 IMO, just with "special" color and wider track. Porsche earn so much money on the RS, so if there is GT3 in the 08, no doubt RS too.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Carrera2kid
Instructor

"What are you going to believe? Me, or your own lying eyes?". LOL
Old 05-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ray, that's what they WANT you to believe lol.... sounds plausible but
these 20 dealers likely each have an RS currently or soon to be enshrined in showroom @ +$50k and they also know that you or I are not in Herr Kaussen's satellite phonebook........... or i could be wrong and i may owe jim huber a case of strongbow cider or a box of Carlos Toranos.
My only contact is with a contact of a pcna Atlanta contact seriously lame! who still claims another 100+ RS for U.S. in MY08.

Last edited by Paul523; 05-05-2007 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:58 PM
jimhuber
Racer

Originally Posted by Paul523
Ray, that's what they WANT you to believe lol....
these 20 dealers likely each have an RS currently or soon to be enshrined in showroom @ +$50k and they also know that you or I are not in Herr Kaussen's satellite phonebook........... or i could be wrong and i may owe jim huber a case of strongbow cider or a box of Carlos Toranos
My only contact is with a contact of a pcna Atlanta staffer who still claims another 100+ RS for U.S. in MY08.
Yes, you know you do. I told you the same thing several weeks ago. I know my car will be a 2008. I said that no more cars will be avaliable. I have also been told that the 30 cars extra is a urbal legend. So 229 and only 229. I have been told this week that all cars will now have the plates. Cup tubs.

Jim Huber
Old 05-05-2007, 03:08 PM
GT3MK1
Instructor

every RS owners keep saying no more RS in 08, that's totally BS...

Okey, let's see...
Old 05-05-2007, 03:40 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimhuber
Yes, you know you do. I told you the same thing several weeks ago. I know my car will be a 2008. I said that no more cars will be avaliable. I have also been told that the 30 cars extra is a urbal legend. So 229 and only 229. I have been told this week that all cars will now have the plates. Cup tubs.

Jim Huber
Jim,

who told you Cup tubs would be used?..just curious
Old 05-05-2007, 03:52 PM
krC2S
Racer

the extra cars are NOT an urban legend..i know that my dealer has been allocated only 1 car but had 2 more cars delivered to VIP customers
Old 05-05-2007, 03:59 PM
jimhuber
Racer

Originally Posted by leif997
Jim,

who told you Cup tubs would be used?..just curious
I think due to the bodystyle change in the future the cup tubs are used. I have been told that by several people in my quest ot answer the mounting plate question. First ones I think were c 4 and not cup tubs.

Jim Huber
Old 05-05-2007, 04:02 PM
jimhuber
Racer

Originally Posted by krC2S
the extra cars are NOT an urban legend..i know that my dealer has been allocated only 1 car but had 2 more cars delivered to VIP customers

Do the math the vip cars are part of the 229. They tell you what you want to hear. You did not get at car right? SO you hear what you want to.

Jim Huber
Old 05-05-2007, 04:14 PM
krC2S
Racer

Originally Posted by jimhuber
Do the math the vip cars are part of the 229. They tell you what you want to hear. You did not get at car right? SO you hear what you want to.

Jim Huber
I am just clarifying that there are VIP cars..but why would i want ot hear that there were more cars allocated to others? what do i gain?
Old 05-05-2007, 04:21 PM
jimhuber
Racer

I am just clarifying that there are VIP cars..but why would i want ot hear that there were more cars allocated to others? what do i gain?
You and a lot of other good people gain not. That is the proplem with this strong correction in production numbers. That is also why this car will be worth more $ to more people than the CGT. This car was made for the few people who were laying deposits down two or more years ago before it was official. This is a rare bird. This is why people are all over the road with this RS thing. I know I would not take 100k over for my car now, tomorrow, or yesterday, because I want it because I like it.

Jim Huber
Old 05-05-2007, 04:30 PM
krC2S
Racer

it's good that gt3/rs will hold their value better but i don't think porsche cars about that

the only reason to limit the numbers is to have better demand for the new cars they will make specially the MKII gt3/rs

just to let you know that porsche only carse about selling cars one of the 2 extra cars that my dealer got after his allocation was for a customer who had baught many cars from them got a 997tt was not happy wanted an rs dealer sent a letter of intent for an rs for him and just got it!
Old 05-05-2007, 04:49 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's good that gt3/rs will hold their value better but i don't think porsche cars about that

the only reason to limit the numbers is to have better demand for the new cars they will make specially the MKII gt3/rs

just to let you know that porsche only carse about selling cars one of the 2 extra cars that my dealer got after his allocation was for a customer who had baught many cars from them got a 997tt was not happy wanted an rs dealer sent a letter of intent for an rs for him and just got it!

Who cares, like that is the definitve mark to make us believe Porsche just cares in selling as many cars as possible
Old 05-05-2007, 05:04 PM
krC2S
Racer

Originally Posted by RR
Who cares, like that is the definitve mark to make us believe Porsche just cares in selling as many cars as possible
sure it's just an example but why would you think they don't?

IMO only reason a car maker makes a smaller amount of a car then they are capable of is if it can allow them to sell more of it later...they can sell 300 today but 100 tomorrow or instead sell 250 today and then 250 when the MKII comes out to have more profit..that's demand forcasting

Quick Reply: Finally, Definitive Answer from Porsche: NO '08 RS