Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Finally, Definitive Answer from Porsche: NO '08 RS

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 02:43 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
Getting your hands on an RS and flipping it for $50K, thats a 28% return. Name me one investment system right now where you can get 28%.
What I mean is the demand for the RS is there only for the investment opp and is being perpetuated even further b/c of that - which would fall flat if Porsche decides to build more cars. If that happens these cars WILL NOT hold their value b/c there is not enough intrinsic differences in the RS over the GT3 to sustain the premium, so the RS will go from tops to flops. If the RS had 50 more HP and 200kg less weight than the GT3 than I agree with you the demand could be sustained, but right now b/c the car is so similar to the GT3 the only thing sustaing this "false demand" is the premise that one can buy an RS and flip it for a $50k profit.
you're confusing two different issues, demand and resale.
the demand is not false and existed before it was known what, if any, profit could be made on resale.
they influence each other but are not one in the same.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:20 PM
Carrera2kid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeff's right!

Originally Posted by icon
you're confusing two different issues, demand and resale.
the demand is not false and existed before it was known what, if any, profit could be made on resale.
they influence each other but are not one in the same.

I think Jeff is completely right. I learned in law school that "for instance is not proof", but this "for instance" is instructive: my local dealership had 15 guys on the RS wait list before they closed it in August '06, pending their finding what their allocation turned out to be. After selling a zillion CGT's, they were allocated three RS's. They believe they could sell more RS's than Turbos, and they sell 25 Turbos annually.

In comparison, their GT2 waitlist has two names. For whatever reason, there is great remand for the RS, and the demand for the GT2 seems to be (to quote "This is Spinal Tap") more selective.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the last RS offered to North America was in 1973, and that turned out to be a legendary car. Or maybe it's because it looks wicked cool. Or maybe it's because it is so much fun to drive. Or maybe it's because it is so hard to get (remember that red head in high school?) Maybe all of the above.

As much in love with my RS as I am, even I don't expect that the current $40K-50K premium will last. And it sure won't last if another group of the get produced in '08. But I do believe the RS is the best 911 varient that Porsche has ever produced (and the 997 GT3 is the second best), and people have responded to that fact in a way that is simply unprecedented among the Porsche community. That is a fact that should be celebrated, in my view, not grumbled about. Porsche is making cars we can care about...how great is that?

I can understand people who weren't lucky enough to get their hands on one being unhappy about the aftermarket prices, but that has nothing to do with demand, as Jeff has rightly pointed out. But chill...if you want an RS, I'm sure you will be able to get one in the fullness of time at a price that makes sense to you.
It just depends what your price is, and when the market will be at that price.

Ray
Old 05-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If folks want the '07 RS because the '73 RS was a great car in its day, why not buy the '73?

They're about the same price ... the only difference being, the '73 won't go down in value ... : )
Old 05-09-2007, 08:02 PM
Carrera2kid
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
If folks want the '07 RS because the '73 RS was a great car in its day, why not buy the '73?

They're about the same price ... the only difference being, the '73 won't go down in value ... : )

That's good! I've been thinking about that...but alas, in concours condition, they aren't the same price.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray Minella
That's good! I've been thinking about that...but alas, in concours condition, they aren't the same price.
Well, I was thinking RS Touring, not so much a Lightweight 100 point car sitting on the grass at Pebble with provenance starting when a Porsche family member received it as a birthday surprise from a championship winning driver with his gloves, goggles and helmet in mint condition on the passenger seat ... : )

And the thing is, you can build an early '73 up to RS spec (with fair degree of faithful connection to the original) for $50K and have a lot of fun with it and sell it $45K. You can't build an RS for $123K and if you did, you wouldn't be looking at a 10% loss when you found someone to buy your creation ...
Old 05-09-2007, 10:39 PM
kjslider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Carrera GT

Oh, that's the only difference? Come on now, there is very little one can truly compare between what could be put on the road in the early 70's and what is being made now. Two completely different era's, some 30 plus years apart.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:52 PM
normank
Racer

Is Rennlist membership still $17.95?
Old 05-09-2007, 11:29 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whip out the credit card!
Old 05-09-2007, 11:31 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's only 4 Starbucks special drinks...
Old 05-10-2007, 02:16 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kjslider
Oh, that's the only difference? Come on now, there is very little one can truly compare between what could be put on the road in the early 70's and what is being made now. Two completely different era's, some 30 plus years apart.
You're right. I hadn't looked at it in that way.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:48 AM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
(btw your dealer is has pretty good sales.
my dealer has never sold a cgt or a gt2 )
CGTs make good commuter cars and cars for a "quick" run to starbucks around here.

Quick Reply: Finally, Definitive Answer from Porsche: NO '08 RS