Ok, I test drove a GT3 RS....

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 02:50 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
...YOU DA MAN!! That's a heck of a thing to do...lend your RS for someone else to drive hard...you're a better man than me!
Come on MJ, I volunteer to help make you a better man.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:29 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great going, Bobby C and NJ-GT....we all appreciate your valuable input and efforts.....NJ; I esp apprec. your suspension analysis. What would you anticipate as tyour ideal early set-up opinions for a track like the Glen after your initial findings

Thank You both very much!
Old 05-03-2007, 03:44 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by leif997
Great going, Bobby C and NJ-GT....we all appreciate your valuable input and efforts.....NJ; I esp apprec. your suspension analysis. What would you anticipate as tyour ideal early set-up opinions for a track like the Glen after your initial findings

Thank You both very much!
I'm sure NJ-GT will chime in with his thoughts. However, for my 2 cents...I'm going with the stock setup, i.e., just the way she is now. And I'll be up there in 10 days.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:49 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

As I told Bobby, I would not change a thing with this car, the balance is wonderful. The car pushes when hard gas is applied on corner exit, and is loose when lifting. In my world, that's a perfect car, because it can be turned with the gas.

I would only add shims to both front and rear control arms to increase negative camber, prevent early wear on the tires outside edges and get more grip, while keeping the stock toe setting front and rear, and stock sway bar settings.

The car is way more planted than the 996 GT3, it feels very similar to my 996 GT3, but my car has a drastically modified suspension. Damping is very good, not that excessive bump (compression) found on the 996 GT3.

At the Glen, it should be a blast, as the 3rd , 4th, 5th and 6th gears are closer than in the 996 GT3, and they're very close already in the 996 GT3.

Some drivers might feel more comfortable with additional understeer, in such case make the front bar stiffer rather than the rear bar softer, this provides a sharper steering wheel feeling.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:46 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
As I told Bobby, I would not change a thing with this car, the balance is wonderful. The car pushes when hard gas is applied on corner exit, and is loose when lifting. In my world, that's a perfect car, because it can be turned with the gas.

I would only add shims to both front and rear control arms to increase negative camber, prevent early wear on the tires outside edges and get more grip, while keeping the stock toe setting front and rear, and stock sway bar settings.

The car is way more planted than the 996 GT3, it feels very similar to my 996 GT3, but my car has a drastically modified suspension. Damping is very good, not that excessive bump (compression) found on the 996 GT3.

At the Glen, it should be a blast, as the 3rd , 4th, 5th and 6th gears are closer than in the 996 GT3, and they're very close already in the 996 GT3.

Some drivers might feel more comfortable with additional understeer, in such case make the front bar stiffer rather than the rear bar softer, this provides a sharper steering wheel feeling.
I agree with steering the rear end and I always like to give a little lift mid /late turn to rotate the car and replant it with the throttle on exit....I bet this setup would benefit from a 1/16th toe out up front and a 1/16th toe in at the back to help with more aggressive turn in as well
Old 05-03-2007, 11:26 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 614 Posts

What did you think of the "NEW" MPSC's vs. the "OLD" ones??

Also does the 997 GT3 suffer the same, no gas and brake at same time as the 996 GT3?
Old 05-04-2007, 12:17 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Cos,

I couldn't compare these Porsche N-spec new MPSC to the standard old ones. However, given the outside temperature (cold and windy), I think they have better grip when cold, compared to my 3 years experience with MPSC as street tires.

I did not try left foot brake in the GT3 RS.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:31 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

in agreement with njgt, the new car is a lot more planted than stock 6gt3.
with stock bar setting, i dont find the car too loose upon lift (here i mean breath on the throttle, no big lifts). the trail moves freely but very controllable. i think more camber will help a lot.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:18 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just came back from a Track Day and I guess you have to drive it stock first. Only thing I'll be doing is more camber front and nothing else for now. Grip is amazing even on a pretty hot day. It was 93F outside but only thing was the Oil Temperture going up to 100 after the fourth lap.

I'm just amazed on how good this car is. It makes an avarage driver like me look good on the track.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:07 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Cos,

I couldn't compare these Porsche N-spec new MPSC to the standard old ones. However, given the outside temperature (cold and windy), I think they have better grip when cold, compared to my 3 years experience with MPSC as street tires.

I did not try left foot brake in the GT3 RS.
Has Bobby put MPSCs on the car? He had it delivered on PS2s...
Old 05-04-2007, 10:07 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
I'm surprised to hear that the 997 RS reverts to a 964 type of feel.
Why? The 964 was the best 911 made!
Old 05-05-2007, 01:14 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by leif997
I agree with steering the rear end and I always like to give a little lift mid /late turn to rotate the car and replant it with the throttle on exit....I bet this setup would benefit from a 1/16th toe out up front and a 1/16th toe in at the back to help with more aggressive turn in as well
i like the 1/16 toe out front.
i would want more then 1/16 in for the rear, for my driving.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:47 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Has Bobby put MPSCs on the car? He had it delivered on PS2s...
Yeah Charlie, now that it's warm and track/autox days I put on the OEM MPSCs.

Quick Reply: Ok, I test drove a GT3 RS....