Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Pictures, 1000 mi report

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 11:44 PM
drqiman
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pictures, 1000 mi report

As promised, some pictures are inlcluded as well as a brief report.

I have owned the car since last Monday and now have 1028 mi. My last 911 was a 1986 Targa so for me it is a big leap in performance. Also, I am not an experienced track driver like many in this forum so my report will be from a novice point of view.

First, the car is fantastic. I love the shape, sound of the engine, smell of the leather interior and engine, solid feel of the doors when closing, simple high quality interior and above all, the plain satisfaction of driving such a physical and raw car.

I have driven most of the miles in the local mountain roads with lots of curves and long staights giving me a chance to properly break in the whole car while getting to know it better.

The car is very stable at all speeds driven so far as well as under hard acceleration, braking and quick transitions from right to left and back. Today, I drove behind a highly tuned M3 and I was able to easily keep up without pushing beyond my ability. The road was partially wet and we even had a trace of snow falling but the MPSC behaved nicely. The only trace of instability was due to uneven tire pressures but that went away after carefully setting all tires to the correct psi.

Oil consumption has been about .25 L so far and ther is no smoking at all during cold starts in the am.

The only glitch so far has been has been the TPMS which kept giving me warnings that the tires needed air when in fact they did not. I was able to eliminate this annoying warning by re-setting the computer with cold tires at exactly 29 psi F and 33psi R.

I look forward to finishing the break in in order to experience all out acceleration to redline. I also look forward to taking the car to the track soon.

Happy and safe driving to all,

Martin
Attached Images      
Old 05-07-2007, 12:22 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

congrats, look like you had fun with it.
i had mine since 4/20, about 900 miles today.
getting close.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:31 AM
Geronimo
Intermediate

Martin,

Congrats, and enjoy the new car. I'm only up to 800 miles and trying to restrain myself. It's getting difficult. I think we've seen the last of snow in these parts for a while.

Cheers,
Old 05-07-2007, 12:39 AM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So are we thinking that a 1000 miles is a reasonable break in like the rest of the world?
Old 05-07-2007, 01:47 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by John Velasco
So are we thinking that a 1000 miles is a reasonable break in like the rest of the world?
no, i thought i was done with breaking in at 18 miles when they turn the car over to me. but i dont want to show my impatience too much and scare the rest of you away. so i pretend that 1k mile is the kosher point.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:17 AM
drqiman
Rennlist Member

Each to his own but just remember to be smooth and progressive with pushing the car and watch you oil temps. I was amazed how long it took for the oil to reach operating temp. Going up a mountain road close to my house, it took about 15 minutes to get there. Also, after a 20min stop at the side of the road, the oil temp had dropped significantly and it took another 3 minutes to reach operating temp again.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:17 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Congratulations on the GT3. You'll love it on the track.

Quick Reply: Pictures, 1000 mi report