Seat Choices for New RS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by supercup
When I did the Pole position in my Turbo I went through several after market sliders, they just did not work very well, so I ended up going back to stock sliders and had side plates fabricated. That worked ok, but was a project to get it how I liked it.

When I did the GT2 and last few Cups with the Cobra, none of the sliders, including Cobra, worked well for me. I spent several hours on the phone with Recaro and they never could tell me what side plates I needed to go with what.

With the Cobra because of the way the seat fits, even on the lowest hole on the side plates with stock sliders the seat sits to high off the floor and this results in my head being pushed up by the roof. This fit is with the Suzuka Technology GT (wider version) seat. So I ended up with custom fabricated rails but the seat is bolted to a set position which is fine for me, but not very flexible for other people to drive the car.

So for me their was nothing that really worked well and finding someone who knew what brackets worked with what seat was a time consuming. End of the day it may be due to the Suzuka GT being wider, so it does not sit down between the rails, I am not sure.

The factory seats seem to work very well, but are not great for the track. You may have found a better source or more experienced dealer than I and so it was not pain at all. For me I made it work but never had the solution I wanted, which is the seat I like on Factory quality sliders.

Who have you used for seats? I am all ears!

JCM

I do the seats and such myself. If there's a specific problem you're trying to solve, I'm sure someone will have an answer. As for sliders, I use the Recaro flat sliders with brackets for the Recaro side-mount shell designs.

For what it's worth, I find a common mistake is tightening the brackets and sliders before they're parallel. I have a routine of getting everything snug, but not tight, so that everything can move. If a bracket is binding on a bolt or stud, I'll clearance out the hole so it's not binding.

'm looking to go to a two position billet slider (all the way back to escape and one posiiton as the driving position.) I found some hot rod seat sliders that include a tilt release as well, but they were insanely expensive and I've since lost the manufacturer -- it's a customer CNC shop that makes all kinds of trick hot rod stuff like pedal assemblies and whole DOT tilt steering wheels etc.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Jewels
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 997GT-3...put in the 996 GT-3 harness seat IN CLOTH..it looks good ..feels good and supportive on the track...not too hard to get in and out of every day....easy install. Call Rik at Suncoast Motorsport..he'll hook you up at the correct price.

Quick Reply: Seat Choices for New RS?