Seat Choices for New RS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 02:00 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by grussell
Go with the 996 GT3 seats. They are a direct bolt in and look good in the car.
I agree with this aproach as getting sliders to work with Recaro's or Pole position is a huge pain. The factory 996 Seats look good and are reasonably priced. But in the end the new 997 GT3 Carbon seats are super light, very trick and bolt right in also. They are expensive but you only live once right!

JCM
Old 05-02-2007, 02:10 PM
grussell
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John, you are correct but I am not a big fan of the leather 997 GT3 CF seats and that is all that is available right now. I had the first set and passed on them. As soon as I can get my hands on the cloth seats I am in. For now the best solution for me is the 996 GT3 cloth seats.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It looks like the fabric seats are available at Carnewal: http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p97028.htm
Its says P96 on there but it looks like a typo as the seats are priced as 997 seats would be and the p96 seats are listed elsewhere for half the price.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:10 PM
mowblowgo
Advanced

All good feedback. I guess in reality, you can't have both street functionality and ideal track fitment. I am leaning toward the 996 seats as they worked well in my 996TT.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:12 PM
mowblowgo
Advanced

Originally Posted by YYC930
So you bought an overpriced taped decal and winged special from Porsche for 6 figures (and I think the RS is $25K overpriced to begin with) and you are looking to shave a few bucks off the price of seats ?

Pardon me for sounding sarcastic and I don't mean to offend you....but for the price of the ride.....spending the difference on the correct seats is what ? $2-3K more than these items you are looking at ?

Get the correct seats and be done with it.
Am I supposed to honor your idiocy with a response? OK, I will...Get a life.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:19 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mowblowgo
Am I supposed to honor your idiocy with a response? OK, I will...Get a life.
+1
Old 05-02-2007, 10:06 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

LOL.......!!!

Reality strikes another blow.

If you dropped $130K+ and you could have had a GT3 for much, much, much less......and when the difference between aftermarket seats and OEM seats is $3-5K then you have your priorities wrong.

Perhaps a smarter answer would have been to justify the initial purchase.

Now don't get me wrong.......I have a 997 GT2 on order.......and that is a financial nightmare if there ever was one.......but I am not going to gripe about a couple of grand for the benefit my ***.....or the hit I am going to take on resale when I lose $150K in 24 months.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:20 PM
whakiewes
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL.......!!!

Reality strikes another blow.

If you dropped $130K+ and you could have had a GT3 for much, much, much less......and when the difference between aftermarket seats and OEM seats is $3-5K then you have your priorities wrong.

Perhaps a smarter answer would have been to justify the initial purchase.

Now don't get me wrong.......I have a 997 GT2 on order.......and that is a financial nightmare if there ever was one.......but I am not going to gripe about a couple of grand for the benefit my ***.....or the hit I am going to take on resale when I lose $150K in 24 months.
Your correct...you could have everything the RS is and more for the difference in price. But you still aren't in an RS. There are very few RS owners who have had a 7GT3 that are overwhelmed with the differences...but the wider hips, rarity, duct tape decals, etc... are worth it to a lot of people. Their priorities are on a car they have wanted for years that the US has been denied.

Whats not smart is just throwing money away. Most people getting into RS's aren't multi-millionaire jet setters, they are working people who value what they are buying and spending. $130k on a car is worth the money, but $10k seats that are equivalent to $3000 seats elsewhere is not smart spending. In the US you are going to gain little from having the RS seats and cage, considering the current going rate for RS's is hitting close to $200k...selling prices.

I have used Pole Positions and SPG's, Sparco EVO2's and Pro2000's, OMP Grip and WRC, Cobra Suzuka (not the technology seat, although I have sat in it), and recently drove a RaceTech equipped car. My favorite to date has been the OMP line, especially the WRC. The Cobra was very nice, and the Technology seat I sat in was super comfy, but a bit pricey for me. If I was doing long hauls or endurance racing it would be a no brainer, but for 30 minute commutes all seats are comfortable to me so long as I fit in them. The Sparco seats were probably my next favorite. I have had a ton of gripes with Recaro's...the Pole Position offers very little support in the market of fixed back seats. You might as well purchase some adjustable Speeds. The SPG is too narrow for me (36, 190lbs) to sit in comfortably. I haven't sat in the XL model, but I assume it would be better. Overall they just aren't nearly as comfortable as other seats in their price range. I would much prefer a Cobra Suzuka Technology for the price of a SPG.

Wes
Old 05-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

YYC - have you checked the price of the 997 GT3 seats? Last I looked they were about ten thou Canadian. The 996 GT3 seats are 4200. So we're talking about 6 thou for what exactly?

Honestly I am surprised at your comment. Just because one has the money to buy a GT3 or an RS does not make that person stupid.
I think the owner has the right to decide whether the "new" seats are worth 6 grand more than the previous model.

FWIW, I have had a 996 GT2, a 996 GT3 and now an RS. I am very happy with it, stickers and all. The car is exceptional.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:56 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by supercup
I agree with this aproach as getting sliders to work with Recaro's or Pole position is a huge pain. The factory 996 Seats look good and are reasonably priced. But in the end the new 997 GT3 Carbon seats are super light, very trick and bolt right in also. They are expensive but you only live once right!

JCM
For what it's worth, there's no pain in installed any seat in any 993 or any 996/997 tub. There's also off-the-shelf adapters from Brey Kraus to drop Recaro flat sliders into a 996/997 to make it DIY painless.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:54 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
For what it's worth, there's no pain in installed any seat in any 993 or any 996/997 tub. There's also off-the-shelf adapters from Brey Kraus to drop Recaro flat sliders into a 996/997 to make it DIY painless.
When I did the Pole position in my Turbo I went through several after market sliders, they just did not work very well, so I ended up going back to stock sliders and had side plates fabricated. That worked ok, but was a project to get it how I liked it.

When I did the GT2 and last few Cups with the Cobra, none of the sliders, including Cobra, worked well for me. I spent several hours on the phone with Recaro and they never could tell me what side plates I needed to go with what.

With the Cobra because of the way the seat fits, even on the lowest hole on the side plates with stock sliders the seat sits to high off the floor and this results in my head being pushed up by the roof. This fit is with the Suzuka Technology GT (wider version) seat. So I ended up with custom fabricated rails but the seat is bolted to a set position which is fine for me, but not very flexible for other people to drive the car.

So for me their was nothing that really worked well and finding someone who knew what brackets worked with what seat was a time consuming. End of the day it may be due to the Suzuka GT being wider, so it does not sit down between the rails, I am not sure.

The factory seats seem to work very well, but are not great for the track. You may have found a better source or more experienced dealer than I and so it was not pain at all. For me I made it work but never had the solution I wanted, which is the seat I like on Factory quality sliders.

Who have you used for seats? I am all ears!

JCM
Old 05-03-2007, 04:34 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

So you bought an overpriced taped decal and winged special from Porsche for 6 figures (and I think the RS is $25K overpriced to begin with) and you are looking to shave a few bucks off the price of seats ?

Pardon me for sounding sarcastic and I don't mean to offend you....but for the price of the ride.....spending the difference on the correct seats is what ? $2-3K more than these items you are looking at ?

Get the correct seats and be done with it.
Recaro SPGs are something like 2k for a set. So you'd save 8k. That could buy lighter wheels, or suspension bits like motons, etc. 10k for seats is crazy, even on a 130k car.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:33 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

For me, it's worth it to spend a little extra to have the seats that were intended for the car. It hurts to spend 7K on a set of seats, but I really enjoy the car that much and would like it to be as original as possible. My question is...will the seats be comfortable for my body type? I'm 6'2" 230 with about 14% body fat. So much for reduced weight in an RS!
Old 05-04-2007, 12:27 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
. . . My question is...will the seats be comfortable for my body type? I'm 6'2" 230 with about 14% body fat. So much for reduced weight in an RS!
I have the 996 GT3 euro seats - they are about as snug as I would want them to be, and I'm 6' 200. Unless the 997 GT3 euro seats are bigger and wider, you may want to proceed cautiously. See if you can sit in one of them before taking the plunge, or better yet, take a test drive.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:22 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

The Euro Buckets are just as wide as the 996 version. I'm 6' and way over 200 pounds and they are pretty comfortable.

Quick Reply: Seat Choices for New RS?