Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

nurburgring closed to euro delivery drivers!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 04:04 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
1) I dont expect Porsche to do anything, it's a longshot, but both they and BMW are partners in the 'industry testing pool', a consortium of car companies that pay the ring a lot of money for track
access, so they do have some swing with them as customer

2) I see nothing wrong in politely (something you personally are clearly in need of a reminder of) asking the management for an explaination of this change in the rules, it would certainly help me
deal with the dissapointment of not being able to visit the ring (again) to drive it in my new car.

3) I have no idea "have gun will travel" even means in this context, nor do I really care to cummunicate with you any further, because frankly I find your tone, impolite, unecessary, rude, disrespectful, inappropriate and lacking any argument of any worth.

By the way, no thanks are necessary but are certainly appreciated; if nothing else is achieved, knowing how you feel makes it all seem worthwhile.

Thanks for your comments.

Larry
Firstly, your approach has all the finesse of a Tomahawk missle, that's what have gun will travel means - if you don't understand that it means "I'm going anywhere I want b/c I have the guns to back me up" - see arrogance....it further means you've obviously never heard of the phrase, "Let sleeping dogs lie".
Old 05-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,598 Likes on 2,341 Posts

I will take your advice to heart, and in this case "let sleeping dogs lie" as I have no interest anything else you have to say on the matter.

I personally think you are unecessarily rude and disrespectful individual, with no place in a community like this.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:20 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) I dont expect Porsche to do anything, it's a longshot, but both they and BMW are partners in the 'industry testing pool', a consortium of car companies that pay the ring a lot of money for track
access, so they do have some swing with them as customer

2) I see nothing wrong in politely (something you personally are clearly in need of a reminder of) asking the management for an explaination of this change in the rules, it would certainly help me
deal with the dissapointment of not being able to visit the ring (again) to drive it in my new car.

3) I have no idea "have gun will travel" even means in this context, nor do I really care to cummunicate with you any further, because frankly I find your tone, impolite, unecessary, rude, disrespectful, inappropriate and lacking any argument of any worth.

By the way, no thanks are necessary but are certainly appreciated; if nothing else is achieved, knowing how you feel makes it all seem worthwhile.

Thanks for your comments.

Larry
Larry

Unless you write to them in good grammatical German (which also means humble), your letter will be discarded.

Even thinking about the Industry Pool tells the world how far 'off base' you are.

You have no idea of the politics involved at Nürburgring GmbH - if Porsche 'pushed', they would have their access cut back. N GmbH could sell their track slots ten times over, as they explain to every manufacturer who gets a bit pushy.

All yxou are doing is reinforcing European prejudices against Americans, so do yourself a favourt and 'rack off', its in your own best interests.

Are you interested in the 'rules' or in driving on the track? Get with the program buster, its all about driving, not some arsehole principle.

Several times now, I have written, politely, to explain how people should take a 'softly softly' approach, this has obviously been far too subtle for you. Getting pushy justs pisses people off. You get pushy and you will never ever get on track.

I won't stoip you from being a complete prat, but your compatriots might wish you had just shut up.

R+C
Old 05-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

This isn't an American vs European thing. Cars exported to the US are not the only ones carrying temporary registration; customers taking factory delivery from other European countries also have them.

I don't have anything to back this up, but based on my own experience in Europe it appears that Americans are the minority when it comes to factory delivery, so I don't think we are the reason for the decision, and I don't think our pleas have any affect.

We can still rent Porsches there to drive on the 'ring; yes, extreme wear/tear will likely result in additional fees, but unless you have a LOT of experience on the 'ring, you simply won't be pushing a car that hard.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:58 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Funny thing I just saw USAF pilot that just mangled the hell out of his '07 GT3 on the 'Ring only after a month of ownership. It's a dangerous motorist playground. You go out there saying you will do a slow lap to only be sucked in for more laps pushing more and more and BAM! Game Over.

I think if you want to attempt to get on the 'Ring during Euro Delivery you may want to try during the week when 'Ring personnel aren't patrolling the ticket gate as much as on a weekend and the track is pretty vacant.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:06 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

I will take your advice to heart, and in this case "let sleeping dogs lie" as I have no interest anything else you have to say on the matter.

I personally think you are unecessarily rude and disrespectful individual, with no place in a community like this.
Hey I'm with you. Maybe my post sounded rude, but what I find disrespectful is someone with the amount of posts you have (42) sweeping in like the Lone Ranger goofing things up even more on something you have very little understanding about. Yes you may be right, its not right for the 'Ring to have a policy like it has - I agree 100% - but this is Germany, NOT the US. Here's another rude colloquial term for you..."When in Rome......."
Old 05-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by tetzlafh
Funny thing I just saw USAF pilot that just mangled the hell out of his '07 GT3 on the 'Ring only after a month of ownership.
Must have been a 'slow mover', most of the guys at the local Fighter Wing handle themselves quite well, 'you wouldn't even know they were American', as one of my German friends put it.

No I'm not being rude, I'm telling it how it is.
+C
Old 05-08-2007, 05:13 PM
gete3
Instructor

[QUOTE=Larry Cable

I would also try 'slipping in' at the alternatibe entry gate down at the exit of
briedscheid bridge where there is another chance of this ...

- Larry[/QUOTE]

Good idea. The Adenau entrance may be easier to slip through.

I drove a red-plated car for three laps on the Ring last year before being refused entrance on the fourth lap.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:22 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,114 Likes on 615 Posts

Have we not learned "Dont push the Germans"!! I say only push them when they push back. I agree with Robin. Go to the ring, on a weekday morning, act all humble. Bring some coffee and donuts and be nice. I bet they will let you on.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:35 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cosmos
Have we not learned "Dont push the Germans"!! I say only push them when they push back. I agree with Robin. Go to the ring, on a weekday morning, act all humble. Bring some coffee and donuts and be nice. I bet they will let you on.
EXACTLY! Secretly we all know Germans are squareheads (hope no one takes that seriously)....I know b/c my backround is Austrian and my cousins are German...writing a formal letter is just going to **** them off.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:37 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by cosmos
You got the message!
In reality they hate turning away lovely cars.

R+C
Old 05-08-2007, 05:48 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

Larry,

just wear some tight pants and a sheer turtleneck. The gate attendants may greet you with more enthusiasm. As said, when in Rome...
Old 05-08-2007, 07:05 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
Hey I'm with you. Maybe my post sounded rude, but what I find disrespectful is someone with the amount of posts you have (42) sweeping in like the Lone Ranger goofing things up even more on something you have very little understanding about. Yes you may be right, its not right for the 'Ring to have a policy like it has - I agree 100% - but this is Germany, NOT the US. Here's another rude colloquial term for you..."When in Rome......."
Larry's had more days at the 'ring than you seem to realise.

And if you note is join date is in '02, it's not a proclivity for posting which earns street cred around here.

Plus, I know he's had great 911's for decades, so I'm guessing he (like me) has at least once lost his Rennlist login and to start over.

I guess you stepped over Larry's pun on "sleeping dogus and there's nothing rude about "When in Rome" which is at best a malapropism.

I'm curious to hear of folks "ge te 3" who've been there recently and at least slipped in for a few laps before being discovered. Perhaps it's possible to work through channels, but hiding in the crowd is at least the fall-back tactic unless it backfires with something more severe than being waved away as the consequence.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:25 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
I agree 100% with RC. Wholly sh*t, Carreraring, no offense, but telling everyone to email the track is the stupidest effing idea Ive heard. It's not the US. German's are very finicking with their rules. A rule is a rule and they will stick to it ESPECIALLY if they get bombarded with emails from "stupid American's". Just drop it. Show up to the ring and basically as RC said once before, try to look as un-american as possible. Although German's themsevles can be arrogant, American arrogance isn't going to win you a battle, just instigate a Mexican Stand off - and you'd be on the losing end. Just drop it.
Your going to ruin it for everyone of us now, your bringing too much light to the subject.
okay, i see i'm hitting a nerve with a few of you here. i deleted the post about bombarding them with emails. again not the right choice of words. It certainly wasn't my intention to make a bad situation worse and start WW-III.

i know this is an emotional subject. I didn't intend to ruin the experience for future drivers. the rules changed and i wanted to know why. I didn't send a threatening message to them nor encourage anyone else to threaten or complain. I have a feeling that the reason was too many tourists had bad accidents which caused them to change their policy or something to that effect.

I know everyone here can be pretty opinionated but also feel everyone is trying to convey their best intentions to benefit the group. I appreciate the suggestions, comments, and advise by members of this community. You guys really have helped me make several decisions concerning this car and i'm thankful for that.

the ring is great, and yes i fully understand and can accept the concenquences for having an incident on the track. i had a great time there last year. i met several nice people from all over the world while there and b/c of that great experience I wanted to return in my dream car. the light side of this is there are still several private clubs that will welcome even us americans with open arms for some personal time with the greatest track in the world.

i hope the nurburgring changes this policy b/c the thrill of driving the track on an open day is also in itself an amazing experience. i'm just glad its still around for us gearheads to enjoy.

now, i can see how it wouldn't be too hard to get on the track despite policy, but for those that are in tune with german law, what might happen if you do get in an incident after knowingly sneaking on the track? its written in english and german excluding tourist delivery cars. Is the insurance nulled? That would have me worried about just driving on the course during public days. I'll stick with following the rules and going with the private clubs but would love to hear some feedback about this?
Old 05-09-2007, 06:30 AM
JW Hubbers
Pro

Lightbulb

Those of you who'd like to do Euro delivery and drive their car on the Nordschleife might want to have a look at this thread on the Ringers forum

JW

Quick Reply: nurburgring closed to euro delivery drivers!