Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

nurburgring closed to euro delivery drivers!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 12:46 PM
ChrisGB
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps the 'Ring entrance office can clear it up - the number is +49 26 91 302 215.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:06 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe get a local to register the car, then cancel it afterwards and presumably there's a pro-rata rebate of annual costs. After all, you're paying $5 for Euro delivery, so it's not as if you're really counting every penny ... : )
Old 04-30-2007, 02:16 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Maybe get a local to register the car, then cancel it afterwards and presumably there's a pro-rata rebate of annual costs. After all, you're paying $5 for Euro delivery, so it's not as if you're really counting every penny ... : )
Euro delivery does not allow you to register a car locally other than on the "Zoll" plates, otherwise you'd have to pay the full VAT of 19% of the purchase price.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:41 PM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Euro delivery does not allow you to register a car locally other than on the "Zoll" plates, otherwise you'd have to pay the full VAT of 19% of the purchase price.
And have the car inspected for TUV requirements and put into the German system and this and that and customs...more trouble than it's worth.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:11 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
What are you talking about? no sarcasm intended. Doesn't eveyone have to pay the VAT tax anyways on Euro del?
I HAD to pay the VAT before I could do Euro del.
I have yet to pay any taxes for my country, but I did have to pay Euro VAT which will be refunded with interest when the cars comes to Canada and at that point I will pay Canadian taxes.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:14 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

This seems like an option:
http://www.rent-racecar.de/gb/

Not a Porsche, but still German
And with all the safety prep. The prices don't seem to be outrageous. I've seen higher prices for similar cars in the US.
And if scheiße happens it will be their car not your beautiful fresh out of the factory Porsche.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:24 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

i use rent-racercar.de for all my ring trips (about every 6 weeks)- Theo (the owner is GREAT).

Norm
Old 04-30-2007, 04:54 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
What are you talking about? no sarcasm intended. Doesn't eveyone have to pay the VAT tax anyways on Euro del?
I have yet to pay any taxes for my country, but I did have to pay Euro VAT which will be refunded with interest when the cars comes to Canada and at that point I will pay Canadian taxes.
Not entirely true. VAT is collected in part as a deposit against the vehicle leaving Germany (Europe) within 6 months. Porsche and the new owner put down that deposit. (The owner's share has been $10,000). When the vehicle clears European customs (e.g., Bremerhaven, the authorities at PAG contact PCNA to release the $10k back to the owner.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

So, who is checking/turning cars away? From what I remember of my European Delivery experience six years ago, the whole ticket/entry system is automated...I recall having a tough time finding somebody to help me out with questions I had...

While this is very unfortunate, and if true I'm thankful I already had the experience...but to be perfectly honest, even though I did 10 laps on my own, riding as a passenger with a "'Ring Rat" was much more fun...
Old 04-30-2007, 07:23 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

there is usually a gate checker nowadays who just looks at plates. not to mention the cameras all over. still, i'm hoping to be able to drive on in. maybe if there is a line of cars behind me waiting the gate checker wouldn't make me turn around either that or get lots of angry motorists as i hold up there fun making a 3 point turn to get out of dodge! hopefully i get some resolution from the track on this soon. I sent several emails out already.

as for renting a race car. i'm all for that normally. definitely a fun and safe way to experience the track. but common, why buy a GT3 in the first place? especially if you pick it up in Germany. I don't want to go through all the trouble and expense of getting it in Stuttgart to find out I can't drive it on the Ring. Luckily I can still go with Manthey and experience it for one day.... just wish it was more!

Riding with experienced drivers is also fun, but still I prefer to be behind the wheel. I had the time of my life there last August. Its the singular experience that got me on the path towards buying the GT3.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:42 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,621 Likes on 2,352 Posts
Default while this is bad news ....

I have been to the ring multiple times over the last 4 years both at BMW Intl school and public lapping days ... and to be honest on a busy weekend I cannot imagine that the few workers 'onsite' would catch such a car as the volumes of traffic entering the parking lot and also lining up for entry onto the ring itself is so vast ...

I would also try 'slipping in' at the alternatibe entry gate down at the exit of
briedscheid bridge where there is another chance of this ...

while it does'nt look good, I think that practically we may get away with it ...

I certainly plan to try the weekend of June 22-24 ...

- Larry
Old 05-01-2007, 05:55 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I happen to know someone who collected a GT3 RS from the factory on transfer plates, ready to ship to Hong Kong. Collected around 1st or 2nd April this year. I know he visited the 'ring and did a few laps before joining the Total 911 French Riviera tour for a week. (see http://www.driving-adventures.co.uk/gallery/Album8.htm.)

He most certainly wasn't turned away.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:07 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
For the US Euro delivery program, we don't pay the VAT, we pay Porsche an interest bearing deposit instead. The German "Zoll" plates indicate that you did not pay the VAT and that the car is due for export within 6 months of delivery. Once the car hits the US, Porsche will refund the deposit and the owner pays applicable sales tax. I believe the deposit is now either $10 or $15k.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:46 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Well, $15K is what I put down as a deposit for the VAT - I thought that was a full deposit for the VAT - guess not, ok thanks for the info.

R
Old 05-01-2007, 11:28 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by robmug
I happen to know someone who collected a GT3 RS from the factory on transfer plates, ready to ship to Hong Kong. Collected around 1st or 2nd April this year. I know he visited the 'ring and did a few laps before joining the Total 911 French Riviera tour for a week. (see http://www.driving-adventures.co.uk/gallery/Album8.htm.)

He most certainly wasn't turned away.
this is good to hear. i think the bmw driver in the link i posted just went into the ticket office and asked. i would just buy the ticket at the automated machine and drive up to the gate and hope the gate checker is not paying attention.

Quick Reply: nurburgring closed to euro delivery drivers!