Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Lowering suspension.......

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Eric Ondoy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering suspension.......

I was wondering if any of you guys lowered the suspension? I don't know how many settings there are on the GT3/GT3 RS-so I can lower her for the track?
Thanks in advance guys!!!

Old 04-24-2007, 01:49 PM
krC2S
Racer

there are no specific settings..you can lower it by the amount you want but beyond a certain limit
you will start bottoming out and that depends on how bumpy the track you will drive

i have heard of people lowering by 10-20 mm so far
Old 04-24-2007, 02:15 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

before bottoming out, you will be already dealing with bump steer problems at the rear end, given the small tolerance provided by the long toe arms.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:01 PM
Eric Ondoy
Advanced

Thanks Guys for the quick response!!!
Old 04-24-2007, 06:16 PM
Unitah
Instructor

Thus far, I dropped the car about 1/2" with no issues at all. Next alignment in a few weeks for Watkins Glen, I was going to drop it about 1" more. Any thoughts NJ-GT? If I go that low, you think I'll run into issues with the toe links? Should I change to the cup car or TRG toe links?
Thanks!
Old 04-24-2007, 07:20 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The stock toe links have a fixed length. Once the suspension is compressed, the link starts pulling the rear wheel towards toe out (bump steer), it's a feeling like bottoming out, but you still have available suspension travel. The car will break loose when applying gas out of a turn, as long as there is good grip and you're driving closer to the grip limits

To run the car lowered, it's necessary to run stiffer springs or adjust the toe links to dial-out bump steer or drive slower so the suspension doesn't compress that much.

With close to 40mm (1.5") below stock ride height, you're guaranteed a nightmare of a 997 GT3 at the limits.

We had to increase the ride height on my 996 GT3 last year, to fix the geometry problems, I needed to replace front and rear uprights with the RSR parts, easily a $10k project including labor. We went up 15mm, and I didn't expend those $10k.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:58 AM
Unitah
Instructor

NJ-GT,
Very interesting. So, fixing this issue is NOT as simple as replacing the rear toe links to the adjustable ones with that threaded joint.
As far as stiffer springs, do you have any suggestions? What would you go with?
Since you have been playing around with the 996 GT3 for quite some time now, what would your suggestions be for suspension modifications on the 997 GT3 to make it closer to the Cup Cars? (I don't care about ride comfort).
Old 04-25-2007, 12:12 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

How far can the front be lowered before experiencing problems?
Old 04-25-2007, 12:15 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
The stock toe links have a fixed length. Once the suspension is compressed, the link starts pulling the rear wheel towards toe out (bump steer), it's a feeling like bottoming out, but you still have available suspension travel. The car will break loose when applying gas out of a turn, as long as there is good grip and you're driving closer to the grip limits

To run the car lowered, it's necessary to run stiffer springs or adjust the toe links to dial-out bump steer or drive slower so the suspension doesn't compress that much.

With close to 40mm (1.5") below stock ride height, you're guaranteed a nightmare of a 997 GT3 at the limits.

We had to increase the ride height on my 996 GT3 last year, to fix the geometry problems, I needed to replace front and rear uprights with the RSR parts, easily a $10k project including labor. We went up 15mm, and I didn't expend those $10k.
What ride height did you go up to?...factory specs or are you still a bit lower?

Quick Reply: Lowering suspension.......