Picts of a new GT3 RS in an AutoX

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 04:38 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Unitah
I just autocrossed my 997 GT3 yesterday with MetroNY PCA at the Nassau Coliseum. Fun day, placed 2nd for the event. However, the parking lot was VERY bumpy, and the car was setup for Pocono the weekend before. It was NOT a good autocross car (at least in the bumpy parking lot). It is too stiff, too low (bottomed out many times, ground front lip down too, hahaha), too bouncy, with too much understeer, even with -2.5 in the front of camber. It was a tough day, but what a blast!
Too much compression on the stock shocks, and lack of stiffer springs. Same problem found with the 996 GT3. Moton and stiffer springs should improve part of the 997 GT3 handling.

May 19th: NY vs NJ PCA AutoX Challenge.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:49 PM
Unitah
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"May 19th: NY vs NJ PCA AutoX Challenge"

Hell yea! We're gonna kill you Jersey guys!! hahahaha

Unfortunately, I have unavoidable prior engagements on both the Nassau Coliseum and Meadowlands dates! Typical... But don't worry, you guys will loose anyway, hahahaha
Old 04-23-2007, 06:05 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nothing wrong with taking a car of that calibre to an auto-x or the track. Much better than searching for the limits on public roads. Last orange Porsche I ever saw was in Cherry Hill, NJ as a kid around 1978 when my dad's 1973 911T targa was being loaded up to ship to our new home in CA. Sweet ride!
Old 04-23-2007, 06:38 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
997 GT3 RS:

Stock rear sway setting: Full Stiff.
Stock front sway setting: 1 from soft.

Not much to go from here to fix push.
That's a shame. LOTS of adjustment room to make it plow like a pig, I guess
Old 04-23-2007, 08:55 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GrantG
I bet a sway-bar setting adjustment (soften front and/or firm up rear to induce oversteer) would be helpful at auto-x. Just be sure to reset it before heading back to road course (or aggressive street driving)...
Your problem may very well be a function of the limited-slip differential that comes with the GT3. The 911's that I have autocrossed, and then modified for the track with a limited-slip differential, were not worth a darn to autocross any longer. Too much slow speed push. No amount of adjustment to camber or sway bars will cure that inherent tendency, as you have discovered.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:36 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lawjdc
Your problem may very well be a function of the limited-slip differential that comes with the GT3. The 911's that I have autocrossed, and then modified for the track with a limited-slip differential, were not worth a darn to autocross any longer. Too much slow speed push. No amount of adjustment to camber or sway bars will cure that inherent tendency, as you have discovered.
The 997 GT3 RS has a softer LSD than the 996 GT3 (28/40 vs. 40/60). My 996 GT3 has an even more aggressive LSD than the stock 04 GT3 (2004 GT3 Cup LSD 40/60 with higher torque). I agree that some drivers go nuts with their LSD setup , so the car is not capable at autocross, but that car won't be good in the rain or slow turns either.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:01 AM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

I just autocrossed my 997 GT3 yesterday with MetroNY PCA at the Nassau Coliseum. Fun day, placed 2nd for the event. However, the parking lot was VERY bumpy, and the car was setup for Pocono the weekend before. It was NOT a good autocross car (at least in the bumpy parking lot). It is too stiff, too low (bottomed out many times, ground front lip down too, hahaha), too bouncy, with too much understeer, even with -2.5 in the front of camber. It was a tough day, but what a blast!

how much did you lower your car?
Old 04-24-2007, 01:12 PM
Unitah
Instructor

Doc2s,
The car was lowered only about 1/2" to start with (on first alignment). I will be getting another alignment in May for Watkins Glen (May 30, 31), and will drop the car about 1" further. So, total, it'll be about 1 1/2" lower the stock. I know, I'm crazy...
Old 04-24-2007, 01:50 PM
krC2S
Racer

Doc2s,
The car was lowered only about 1/2" to start with (on first alignment). I will be getting another alignment in May for Watkins Glen (May 30, 31), and will drop the car about 1" further. So, total, it'll be about 1 1/2" lower the stock. I know, I'm crazy...
you were bottoming out at 1/2''?
Old 04-24-2007, 05:44 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice car, you probably saw me drooling while looking at it..

The course was indeed very bumpy, especially right after the slalom at the start going through the tunnel of cones. My MiniDV cam was skipping through that section, something i dont think its ever done other than at the Robert Plan lot (which is 10x worse than the Collesium).

-Metro #14
Old 04-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Unitah
Instructor

Hey hey!! Look, there I am!!! hahahaha

Yea, the parking lot was a mine field. Yes, I bottomed out at only 1/2" lower the stock, thats how rough the lot was. And you're correct, just after the slalom, before the line of cones, there was that huge meteor creater, which is where I bottomed out each time. BOOM! haha
Old 04-24-2007, 06:48 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The three directional cones they added after the slalom were kind of a pain in the butt cutting off the smooth line into the tunnel. I was kind of wondering why they added it in as the dip they were trying to avoid didnt look to bad when walking. However when i was actually behind the wheel i could physically see how bad the dip really was.. i probably would have sacrificed another ball joint to the auto-x Gods, one already went to the ones at the Robert Plan lot.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:59 PM
AC coupe
Instructor

I think we may have been at the same track day at Pocono (were you there with a 430 as well?) Yours was the first 997GT3 I have seen "in the flesh".....what a fantastic looking car, congratulations!

I have a little of your car in motion on lap 2 of this video:
SHORT BUT YOU GET A GOOD IDEA OF THE GT3 SOUND...

Axis Of Oversteer
Old 04-27-2007, 02:05 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AC coupe
I think we may have been at the same track day at Pocono (were you there with a 430 as well?) Yours was the first 997GT3 I have seen "in the flesh".....what a fantastic looking car, congratulations!
That's a great video of Pocono North Course, and a freaking fast time, 59.45 is something a stock 997 GT3 with Sport Cups can't touch.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:29 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AC coupe
I think we may have been at the same track day at Pocono

Nice driving!

Quick Reply: Picts of a new GT3 RS in an AutoX