Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What if there's an '08 RS ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 04:38 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leif997
My RS will be a July build and Aug delivery...will that make it an '08? and if so, do you feel that the "100" add'l '08's are in fact part of the original allocation of 229 and thus are dedsignated '08's only by timeline of production and not add'l cars to the original 229 + 30...?
The way it was presented to me, was that the 08 RSs and 3s are additional to the 07 allocations, not part of the original numbers. It was also presented to me 'as a matter of fact,' the result of the prior day's discussions with PCNA reps.

We shouldn't be surprised if the additional cars do materialize, as this was the way with 996 GT3s. I am a bit surprised that they are quoting 100 though; seems like a lot.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:41 PM
rexav8r
Track Day

allegretto: go-away, your wasting bandwidth AND gravity (better ??)
-there's nothing I've said that I wouldn't say to your face.
-you're the one that's been doing the name calling...
-find a new thread.

FWIW: I've been given the opportunity to order an '08 RS that wouldn't otherwise have been available over here. (IF they decide to make an '08) I'm not in the market for an RS however and don't want to get stuck with the $2K monthly pmt. I do however want a 997 GT3 (996 would be good too, but I like the 997) if I could get it into my price range. Given the opportunity, European delivery would be pretty much expected but not required. I'm over there all the time. I would find it tough to pass on picking it up at the factory, drive it up to the Nurburgring and take it for a few laps. Not thrashing laps, just for fun. (And yes Algae, I've driven there quite a few times before... no competitive stuff, just playing around with friends..) The mileage question comes from that. Would it hurt resale in the states if I took it for a couple of parade laps on the Ring before dropping it back off with PAG to ship back here...

I need to commit soon to a firm order though to get the allocation slot. I was trying to see if there might be someone trying to get one of these that can't find a line to stand in or get a slot, that might have a 997 GT3 they'd want to work some kind of swap or something...

I'm friends with a couple of sales managers at different P-stores in the area. I wasn't sure if an individual would be more interested in a deal like this than a Dealer. One guy knows about the opportunity, but I didn't talk to him about wanting it for them, though he said he's received calls from around the country asking for availability. He did say, even if I put 600 miles or so on it, he didn't see ANY way I could really lose money if I got it and brought it back. I'm not looking to make money off of it, I want to SPEND money on a 997 GT3 if I can get one in my price range.

All right, that's all the little fish has for now...

Thanks for those replies with meaningful input ! (Of course, I'm expecting more flaming from, well you know...)
Old 04-15-2007, 11:00 PM
dixons993
Intermediate

Thanks for those replies with meaningful input ! (Of course, I'm expecting more flaming from, well you know...

You should be safe from the vitriol and condescending remarks at least for now.
Rumor has it that Mr. Wondeful was last heard to be interviewing with the Reverend Uncle Al for a position driving the short bus in the Great Metropolis.
According to the word on the street, he may be overly qualified.
It sounds like you are boldly going where very few of us have the opportunity to go. Good for you.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:02 AM
SciFrog
Racer

I hope there is an 08. Else I would be very dissapointed in Porsche. They should make as many as they can sell. The RS is the nicest Porsche they've had since the CGT. They have nothing to gain in reducing allocations.

Also a lot of people are getting tired of the speculation. How many people got on the list just in case it goes for above MSRP? They are screwing all the genuine buyers the way repeat Ferrari buyers do in the US. How can a car manufacturer can make official introduction parties for a car that is already sold out?

Around where I live, dealer lists for the RS were booked before the RS was even a rumor.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:15 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My RS will be a July build and Aug delivery...will that make it an '08? and if so, do you feel that the "100" add'l '08's are in fact part of the original allocation of 229 and thus are dedsignated '08's only by timeline of production and not add'l cars to the original 229 + 30...?
Yours propably will be '07 but even if it ends up being '08, there will be more '08s that are not part of the group of cars such as yours.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:10 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
my first GT3 was delivered in aug of 04. it was noted as MY 04 on the doc's.
not sure if that applies to your inbound RS.

My first GT3 was delivered to me August 1 2003 and it was a 2004 model, NOT a 2003.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Hey anyone know if I'm going to win Mega Bucks this week?
Old 04-16-2007, 01:22 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Hey anyone know if I'm going to win Mega Bucks this week?
You will win and there will be 1000 '08 RS's for free!!
Old 04-16-2007, 01:40 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

You will win and there will be 1000 '08 RS's for free!!
Trust me, winning Mega Bucks would be enough- I'd just pay over MSRP for an RS and get one- or bribe a current owner! - after all- I just won the lottery!
Old 04-16-2007, 03:47 PM
rexav8r
Track Day

Thanks for pointing that out. (I received some e-mails that thought it was directed at me as well..)

I was really hoping to stay focused on the original subject. I'd appreciate his meaningful input as well. Unfortunately, as happens to some threads, this one got partially hijacked.

I'd still like to find someone with a 996 (or 997) GT3 that wants to upgrade to an '08 RS, before this opportunity goes away.

I originally thought an individual would be more motivated about this than a dealer. (eliminate the middle-man theory.) But the dealer has deeper pockets than I do and the luxury of time to sit on it once owned for the right price. I called him this morning. The dealer back home is interested and checking into a few things. His partial concern is that he can't guarantee me a 996/997 GT3 on his side. Maybe I need to start a new thread asking if anyone's interested in upgrading ???

Thanks for pointing out the mis-understanding...
Old 04-17-2007, 01:41 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by songhoh
Porsche has to come out with a 2008 RS or 2009 RS. And it has to be an improvement, like the 996 GT3 RS was an homologation special over the
996 GT3. Why? Although we are just into the race season, Ferrari enjoys a healthy advantage. Look at the entry list for this years Le Mans race.

http://www.lemans.org/24heuresduman...engages_gb.html

Still think Porsche is done with 997 developement?
Add to that the fact that PAG/PCNA are in all of this (racing and automobile manufacturing) to make money for their stock holders and you have the answer you shouldn't be surprised when you see an additional batch of '08 RS's...
Old 04-17-2007, 02:44 AM
krC2S
Racer

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
Add to that the fact that PAG/PCNA are in all of this (racing and automobile manufacturing) to make money for their stock holders and you have the answer you shouldn't be surprised when you see an additional batch of '08 RS's...

i'll add to that a MKII GT3/RS in 09 or 10 is not that far fetched either
Old 04-19-2007, 03:23 AM
bli8
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by krC2S
i'll add to that a MKII GT3/RS in 09 or 10 is not that far fetched either
Will there ever be a 997 GT3 RSR for the street?
Old 04-19-2007, 05:46 AM
A430v
Racer

Sorry...OT...love your avatar Jeff...Kristin Kreuk!!
Old 04-19-2007, 01:03 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dixons993
Some common sense has seemed to prevail with the recent eBay auction at $32K over that didn't meet reserve....
I have said it before; it is more than likely that it was the seller himself who bid to that amount. Reserve did not meet so he doesn't have to sell the car to himself and takes a hit with eBay fee.

Quick Reply: What if there's an '08 RS ???