Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT3 - Break in questions... advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 04:44 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course fellas.

Porsche, just like other sports car manufacturers, will have blanket denial for coverage in their warranty for track or competition use. Far better for a company to start with a hard line and make exceptions or choose to loosely enforce such an exclusion, than to have no such exclusion and deny coverage.

From what I've seen in the past several years, indeed Porsche is quite lenient in its enforcement, and dealers will warranty with knowledge of prior track use. In contrast, hang out on the Evo forums for what Mitsu did to Evo customers who were found to participate in autocrosses, not to mention track events.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:01 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Yes, this discussion is getting out of hand. Porsche can try to deny ANY warrantee claim. It has been my experience that if you don't modify the engine, they will honor most any claim. You can't really blame them for not replacing a motor in a car that has been "tuned"? Tracking has never been a problem in my experience. Remember, Porsche can try to deny and then you can hire a lawyer and sue. I have always found Porsche to be reasonable. Of course, I am reasonable too. If you track your car, you accept certain risks and should be ready to shoulder the expense.

But back to the original question, just don't over-rev or hit the limiter during breakin and you will be fine.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:25 AM
frayed
Race Car

Agreed. I have yet to hear of draconian enforcement occurences as with companies like Mitsu. Haven't heard of PCNA running around scouring autox results and forums looking for those aweful 'trackers.' Probably b/c its cars are pretty durable, the precent of track hounds is probably in the single digits, and the demographic of buyers is pretty well heeled and perhaps less likely to game the system. Who knows.

IMHO, warranty coverage on this insanely expensive drivetrain should not be tested with silly bolt on mods from the aftermarket (do you really need an extra 4 hp from a cotton gauze filter on a motor that has one of the highest specific hp numbers of any production car?) or bumping off the revlimiter during its early life (one can break in the motor to his liking w/o relying on the rev limiter).
Old 04-19-2007, 11:28 PM
AndrewSS
Advanced

little update...

The autocross event got canceled due to bad weather.

Today, my dad did take his GT3 to Mid-Ohio (at about 1k miles) and had a nice trackday.

He and the instructor were happy with the car, dad mentioned the word twitchy though... but thats probably part of getting acquainted. The car hasnt had any adjustments, yet.

Unfortunately I have no photos or video, or lap times. However the instructor his 150mph on the back straight, and felt if he pushed it hard he would hit 160mph no problem. Thats pretty friggin fast! My STi (stock engine) hits about 135mph back there.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:48 AM
frayed
Race Car

Awesome. Mid Ohio is a great track.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:50 AM
AndrewSS
Advanced

^ Yeah, it really is a great track. I am sure we will get some videos and pictures from it and some autocrosses shortly

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 - Break in questions... advice please.