'08 RS Production: Absolutely Yes/ Absolutely No

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Carrera2kid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '08 RS Production: Absolutely Yes/ Absolutely No

Saturday Morning:
Stopped by my dealer in Greenwich, and chatted with the sales manager. Good news for RS waiting list. He says there is absolutely going to be an '08 run of RS's, maybe updated with a few more hp's as a result of engine upgrades. This info seems to fit with the "unveiling" of the RS in NYC on Friday and Saturday in NYC, coinciding with the New York Auto Show which starts on Friday. He also said that there will be a new, very limited run of a new model 750hp Carrera GT released in '09 or '10 (no doubt fabulous news for Carrera GT owners). Run limited to 100 cars, he says.

Sunday Morning:
Attended a road rally sponsored by the New York Motor Club, being filmed by the Fuse Network (to be broadcast on May 31). Great time, lots of terrific cars (seventeen Lambos, two Ford GT's, several Ferraris, lotsa Porsches and Aston Martins, one GT2 and one RS). Met a salesman from another Porsche dealership, who said he had been on the phone to Germany this week. He said that absolutely, with his own ears, he was told by a very high up guy at the factory that the RS is a one year run, with no '08's made. He was absolutely certain of his information. Rationale is that Porsche deeply regretted the over-supply of Carrera GT's, and wants to build credibility for limited run (and very expensive) cars.

Moral of the Story...
Unless PAG changes it's collective mind every other week, nobody really knows, though everybody seems to think that they do. All will be revealed some day soon, I suspect. It was hilarious, however, that two dealers were so sure of their completely contradictory information.
Whether PAG makes an '08 or not, the car remains an absolute ball to drive. Entertaining, involving, visceral...just like the old days, though a lot faster and more powerful. As such, the car will hold it's value because of what it is.
The one thing I don't understand, truly, is why Porsche doesn't make all it's 911's like the GT3 or RS. A friend of mine in LA just got a 996 GT3, and he says that it puts a smile on his face every time he drives it. He just loves to listen to the engine (an observation I would second, by the way). Compared the the GT3 and the RS, the Turbo is competent but uninvolving. Both Ferry and Ferdinand would be well pleased with the current model.

Ray
'07 RS
Old 04-02-2007, 12:02 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well said, my sentiments exactly!
Old 04-02-2007, 01:08 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well one thing is very absolutely yes: Dealers are (IMO somewhat surprisingly) very good source of information when it comes to details of future cars.
(For example, several months after I knew 997 GT3 would have a real dry-sump motor, I was argued against by two separate dealers, among some Rennlisters who got their "information" from dealers).
Old 04-02-2007, 02:05 PM
tmario
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It does seem strange that Porsche is going through all the trouble of a NY "debut" for the RS months after it has been released and then not sell any more. I have an invite to a special unveiling tomorrow and can't go

annoyed in NY
Old 04-02-2007, 02:10 PM
yellowmz3
Advanced

Default Another absolute

I've seen so many similiar threads regarding the possibility of an '08 RS, and again we hear that nobody really knows what's going on. I've seen Rennlisters stating with absoluter certainty that there will be more RS's and others the opposite.
Again, that old adage: "Only time will tell" holds true.
Rob
Old 04-02-2007, 02:55 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where is this "special unveiling" at a dealership?
Old 04-02-2007, 02:57 PM
tmario
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

splashlight studios tues 7-10pm near the NY auto show location.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:10 PM
20C4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 198 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Minella
Saturday Morning:

maybe updated with a few more hp's as a result of engine upgrades

Ray
'07 RS
this tells me he's hosed pretty bad. sorry.

Quick Reply: '08 RS Production: Absolutely Yes/ Absolutely No