Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Buy on Thursday, Track on Friday..

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 04:05 PM
gatman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My GT3 just arrived last week, and go to Le Mans tomorrow !
can't wait more...
Old 04-04-2007, 03:20 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

gatman, congratulations. Looking forward to your impressions in Le Mans.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Somehow I missed this thread.. Khalid..CONGRATULATIONS! Looking forward to see you soon. The car in black is gorgeous.

Give yourself a couple of weeks, and then switch to some better (sportier) alignment settings, it will be transformed, yet as drivable on the street.

As to the happy tail , I hear you! It might have more to do with cold MPSCs though, careful with them.
Check out this one, the guy (with the cameraman) in the back missed his apex and went straight into the gravel while watching in full brake mode

Old 04-04-2007, 04:43 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Jean, thanks buddy. As they say, better late than never.

What kind if settings were you guys running?

Tires weren't cold. I lost concentration chatting away and nearly spun out.

LOL love this picture.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:59 PM
gatman
Advanced

Originally Posted by 03-turbo911
gatman, congratulations. Looking forward to your impressions in Le Mans.
just see it > https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/344571-le-mans-with-my-new-gt3.html

Old 04-13-2007, 03:17 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Soory for the naive question, but do all of the gt-3's and RS's have limited slip?
Old 04-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
khalid,

i bow to you, on track so soon.
glad you enjoyed the moster.
I saw the thread title and assumed it was you posting ... : )
Old 04-13-2007, 04:39 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pdxjim
Soory for the naive question, but do all of the gt-3's and RS's have limited slip?
40:40 mechanical LSD and electronic TC (which would require two pages to describe but most interestly includes the feature of blipping the throttle to prevent rear wheel lock during a choppy down-shift ... not that it "rev matches" the shift somehow, it just accelerates the engine when it detects the rears turning to slowly. How it figures all this out at the same time as left and right rear wheel braking etc. etc. I would love to read the details ...
Old 04-13-2007, 04:43 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

It's probably a bit obscure to post here, but I should add, for anyone with the means to take their new 911 directly to the track, at least have a trusted tech "nut and bolt" the car for any obvious safety issues. Something that might leave you stranded on the side of a country road could be a major calamity on the track at higher speeds and higher corner loads.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:43 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I saw the thread title and assumed it was you posting ... : )

LOL, i think you are on track as much, if not more, than i do this year. only had 9 days in 2007 so far.

Last edited by mooty; 04-13-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:49 PM
frayed
Race Car

40:40 mechanical LSD and electronic TC (which would require two pages to describe but most interestly includes the feature of blipping the throttle to prevent rear wheel lock during a choppy down-shift ... not that it "rev matches" the shift somehow, it just accelerates the engine when it detects the rears turning to slowly. How it figures all this out at the same time as left and right rear wheel braking etc. etc. I would love to read the details ...
I think that's MSR, engine drag control, right? I wonder if it simply gases the car if it detects imminent lockup through the rear wheel ABS sensors when you aren't on the gas or on the gas hard enough and aren't on the brakes.

Anyway, since TC can actually add throttle (rather than on archaic systems that could only take throttle away), it would seem then that throttle lift oversteer would be corrected as well.

I'll experiment tomorrow.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:00 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
LOL, i think you are on track as much, if not more, than i do this year. only had 9 days in 2006 so far.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:06 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

It's probably a bit obscure to post here, but I should add, for anyone with the means to take their new 911 directly to the track, at least have a trusted tech "nut and bolt" the car for any obvious safety issues. Something that might leave you stranded on the side of a country road could be a major calamity on the track at higher speeds and higher corner loads.
Good advice! I was planning on taking it in before the next track day but might as well have them go over it for peace of mind's sake.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:07 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by frayed
I think that's MSR, engine drag control, right? I wonder if it simply gases the car if it detects imminent lockup through the rear wheel ABS sensors when you aren't on the gas or on the gas hard enough and aren't on the brakes.

Anyway, since TC can actually add throttle (rather than on archaic systems that could only take throttle away), it would seem then that throttle lift oversteer would be corrected as well.

I'll experiment tomorrow.
It takes a lot of experimentation and not something you can explore on the street by any means.

I chose a couple of sections on the track where I could feed in vehicle attitude, steering, clutch, brake inputs at various speeds and various pre-state and post-state deceleration.

My notes suggested afterwards that it is most "intrusive" when there's most at risk (higher speeds, faster cornering, more steering input, more abrupt clutch engagement.) In short, I came to the conclusion that it was mostly trying to counteract the most common of mistakes (fumbled down-shift into a turn causing the rear to come around then the driver unwittingly lifts.)

Detecting its effect was not like feeling a pulse of engine thrust or anything so deliberate. It's more like comparing one lap to the previous lap and noticing the tail not willing to come as far wide. Pretty subtle. Nothing that I found distracting or that took me out of the equation so to speak. Overall, I find the whole TC thing almost invisible on the track and yet usefully relaxing on the street, especially with worn Sport Cups and some recent wet weather, since I have a winding country road for the last eight miles to my house -- just hitting the rears on some paint or wind-fallen branch and wet leaves could be a really bad deal.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 03-turbo911
Good advice! I was planning on taking it in before the next track day but might as well have them go over it for peace of mind's sake.
Definitely worth it and should be free if the dealer is good to you.

I had it thrown on the rack just to see what the "before" numbers were, which is an ideal time for the tech with a good, experienced eye to look for anything out of place. The PDI won't catch this kind of thing in all cases. I haven't heard of anyone coming to grief but I have seen many cars where things like having the sway bars on the wrong settings or loose or the rear suspension alignment in a very dangerous setting for the 996 GT3 could well have led to another of those many "996 snap oversteer" reports that came in the early days of the MkII.

Quick Reply: Buy on Thursday, Track on Friday..