Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Back from Euro Del in new GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007 | 10:00 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Default Back from Euro Del in new GT3RS

I just came back from Germany doing a Euro del with the GT3RS.

First off, I was prepared to be unexcited about the new RS, especially after having to give up my beloved old one with the Europipe exhaust and after hearing all th ho-hum rhetoric from magazines and some of the posts on here question the RS weights power times etc etc etc.

Bottom line. The RS is a superior car to the old 996GT3. Hands down.
1. It looks better. The wide *** makes this car a very special looking car. I ordered min ein silver and orange and it looks great.
2. It sounds better. There is something about the lfw, sound deadening/insulation removal and the new exhaust sound that make this car sound great from INSIDE the cockpit. It truly sounds very very special. Coming from an Xloud Europipe I still would prefer it louder but I was surprised to be quite content with the stock sound set up.
3. It handles better. The steering to me is more precise. The chassis is night and day difference between the 2. The front and rear is much more planted, in power turns or even off power turns but it doesn;t leave you out in the cold. It just felt more solid and confidence inspiring. I did manage to get it a bit sideways though at one point of the trip but again, you are in complete control ie the new chassis does not leave the driver out of the equation.
4. It has more power. The new car has more power, particularily from down low to 5000rpm. It pulls harder in 1, 2, and 3 gears from down low than the old car did. I put almost 2000 miles on the car, I did get up to 260km/h but i wasn;t really revving it up to redlind in the first 3 gears, so I can;t really compare the power levels at that point yet.

I drove the car from Stuttgart east to Munchen and Rosenheim into Austria, Salzburg, Graz and right to the Austrian/Hungarian border. I ran the car from all speeds, running it in at speeds of 200km/h plus minutes at a time in Austria just east of Graz. This car splits traffic like Moses parting the sea, it was incredible.

I also found a dead straight 2 mile stretch of road to to standing start to 260km/h, although I didnt time it. The car is incredible

Bottom line is the 996GT3 was/is a great car, but the new RS is better. Anyone coming out of a 996GT3 waiting for a new RS you won't be disappointed. There is no way anyone who has a 996GT3 can jump into the RS and feel that the 996GT3 is as good. Not trying to put any current 996GT3'ers down but there has been a lot of poo pooing being done about the new car in certain posts on here, and all I am saying is, drive the new one first and you will see the difference.

As for the premium for the RS? Although I havent driven a 997GT3 to compare it, I think for the looks alone, with the wider *** the RS is worth the premium.

I will post pictures on Monday.

R
Old 03-18-2007 | 10:25 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

RR, great write-up! Tell us more about any handling or performance quirks you experienced...we all want to learn. Thanks...
Old 03-18-2007 | 10:43 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

As for quirks I did have a few.

After picking it up in Suttgart, between Munich and Rosenheim, the car DIED. Dead. Luckily we were in slow traffic. The car wouldn't start. We had to get it towed to Porsche Zentrum in Munich, me and my fiancee riding shot gun. But I speak German so it wasn;t so much of a problem. The guys at Porsche in Munich were very concerned and very helpful and very nice people.

It turned out to be some kind of solenoid electric problem. They replaced a part and we were on our way the next morning. A bit of a pain in the *** - especially when I picked up the car in Zuffenhausen, they guy that was showing me the safety features of the car and the tool kit in the trunk said Porsche's don't break down, so I wouldn't need to use any of these tools anyways, as a joke. I should write him a letter.

The other thing I did notice was the fuel tank. It only holds 67 litres and it seems like the guage drops quickly between full and half, but then below half it drops slowly. When I am down at a 1/8 of a tank the computer shows that I can still go 160 km before empty. Seems to me that they use the same guaging system on Euro and NA cars even though the NA tanks hold 1/3 less fuel.

I really liked the ride. In the normal setting it was very compliant, on the firm setting it feels harder than the stock 996GT3. I usually left in normal. My car has iron brakes, they felt good, no problems there. The car is low. Lower than my old GT3. I scraped the bottom lots of times even took a big gouge out of it too.

Over all I really really like the car. It is still over there. I will be driving it again in JUly and August, and then shipping it back to NA in September - you can keep cars in Germany for up to 6 months, used to be 1 year.

I really like the shifting. Very firm, very direct, much different than my old one. It's a serious improvement over the old car.

Driving the autobahn with this car is incredible. My backround is German so I've driven the autobahn many times and many cars, but with the Porsche it is awesome. Only thing I can advise anyone who will be doing Euro delviery, when driving in the no limit zones be especially careful in turns, particularlily sweeping turns. When you are approaching traffic in sweeping turns that are travelling only at 130km/hr and you are at 230-240/km they won't be able to see you in their rear veiw mirror - sounds basic, but when travelling at 240km/hr the reaction times window is so so smal.
Old 03-18-2007 | 11:50 AM
tocho1
Instructor

Thanks a lot for the post and congrats...Best color IMHO
Old 03-18-2007 | 02:33 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Bottom line is the 996GT3 was/is a great car, but the new RS is better. Anyone coming out of a 996GT3 waiting for a new RS you won't be disappointed. There is no way anyone who has a 996GT3 can jump into the RS and feel that the 996GT3 is as good. Not trying to put any current 996GT3'ers down but there has been a lot of poo pooing being done about the new car in certain posts on here, and all I am saying is, drive the new one first and you will see the difference.
Old 03-18-2007 | 03:34 PM
gete3
Instructor

''When you are approaching traffic in sweeping turns that are travelling only at 130km/hr and you are at 230-240/km they won't be able to see you in their rear veiw mirror - sounds basic, but when travelling at 240km/hr the reaction times window is so so smal.''

+++ I am happy you like the RS, but I wonder why you were driving so slow on the autobahn? I routinely drive at 280 to 300kph with no problems.
Old 03-18-2007 | 07:25 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

you picked up an RS in germany and missed the ring? what happened! congrats and look forward to pics of silver/orange.
Old 03-18-2007 | 11:08 PM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Congrats on your new RS, what a great place to enjoy it, straight out of the factory. We picked up our CLS and drive 1500 miles, I'm sure you loved the trip as much as we did. Can't wait to see it! Did you do the factory tour as well? That was amazing to see, only 1 robot and the rest guys assembling the cars.
Old 03-19-2007 | 09:03 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

I'm going back in July for a month. The car is still over there. At that time I will drive up to the Ring and down south to Maranello to take a picture of me and the RS in front of thr Ferrari factory.

The reason I was driving so slow is that the 8 from Stuttgart to Munchen on Friday afternoon was busy, and there are only 4 or 5 wide open no limit zones on that stretch of highway. East out of Munchen there is about 40 km no limit zone - if the weather is good, but the weather wasn't so it dips down to a 120 limit again.

Germany seems to be worse than Austria. The German's use the electronic speed limit signs - when it says go 120 you better be going 120, there are lots of unmarked cars on the highway with the Bitte Folgen Sie Mir sign in their rear window.

Austria is better. Although the Austrians have a 130km limit, the police don't patrol the highways as much (In my 25 years going to Austria I have yet to see one)- they use photradar instead. If you know where the photo radar points are, then you can pretty much go as fast as you want.
The Austrians only patrol and set up radar traps in the towns - not on highways.

There is a highway from Passau to Munich that is better. 4 lanes but wide open and very little traffic. The 8 is too congested.

We missed the factory tour our flight arrived in Stuttgart at 10am and by the time we got to the factoyr it was past 11 or so. When I go back I will try to do it.

Trying to upload a pic but file size is too large. Can anyone tell me how to downsize a file. My pics are 647kB and the limit is 149kb it tells me.
Old 03-19-2007 | 09:37 AM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by RR
I'm going back in July for a month. The car is still over there. At that time I will drive up to the Ring and down south to Maranello to take a picture of me and the RS in front of thr Ferrari factory.
ROTFLMAO. Be sure to post some high res pics!

RR, nice writeup.
Old 03-19-2007 | 10:05 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

RR,

I am picking up my GT3 in June. Plan to go Stuttgart>Munich>Salzburg>Innsbruck>Zurich>Geneva>St Tropez. I wanted to get some driving and pictures in the Alps before checking out the Riviera. Do you recommend a euro Radar Detector?
Old 03-19-2007 | 10:28 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

here are some pics

Last edited by RR; 08-28-2007 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-19-2007 | 10:34 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Don't bother with a radar.
In Germany you will find lots of roads to speed on as long as there is no traffic and the weather is good.
Just be careful, in Germany they use electronic signs to change the limits depending on traffic and weather. If it says 120 stay at 120-130, don't go over or they will nab you - they love tourists. When it is all clear just let it rip. You don't need a radar detector.

Be carefull in France. There the limit is 130 and I heard they are very strict - they will confiscate cars if you are caught driving 30km/hr over the limit (ie 160km/h).
Old 03-19-2007 | 10:55 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Beautiful car and beautiful shots! So sorry to hear that it died on you - I would have been pi$$ed.

I'll be enjoying mine for the full 6 months in Europe as well.
Old 03-19-2007 | 11:45 AM
928cs
Race Car

Originally Posted by RR
Don't bother with a radar.
Be carefull in France. There the limit is 130 and I heard they are very strict - they will confiscate cars if you are caught driving 30km/hr over the limit (ie 160km/h).
Radar detectors are forbidden here. The car could be confiscated if there is one into.

I advise you not to be above 160 km/h. 150-160 km/h is a good cruise speed on the Autoroutes.
Go back to the limit when you see this

This indicates an automatic radar.

If it rains, the limit is 110 km/h.

Have a look here.

Samuel

Quick Reply: Back from Euro Del in new GT3RS