Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS's in '08...anyone have confirmation?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 03:04 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
To each their own indeed. I feel exactly the opposite...to me equipping an RS "very comfortably" is contrary to the whole point of the car. It is an ideal track car in ROW spec. Race car? No. But yes, it is an ideal street legal weekend track car. "Skinning it" for me would be bringing it back to ROW spec as originally designed, nothing more.
At first my intent was to make it bare bones too, so I do understand your point of view. But at over 3000 lbs it is not particularly ideal for the track. Good for some laps as fast as it can go in that environment, but it is not ROW-spec in any case.

How much more weight will full leather and carbon add anyway?
Old 03-23-2007, 03:29 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
But at over 3000 lbs it is not particularly ideal for the track.
An ideal track car can be different things to different people. For me, it means being able to enjoy it on the street as well, since I only get to the track a few times a year. It also means being able to drive to the track; said few times a year doesn't warrant a tow vehicle. Warranty and a relatively low-maintenance modern vehicle are definite pluses. And I don't mind 3,000 lbs of mass in the event of a collision, but not much more than that (besides, there are pure race cars that weigh over 3,000 lbs). What else fits that description besides various Loti?
Old 03-23-2007, 05:54 PM
krC2S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a similar view inittially and had optionless order but as i learned of the real weights being not even
3000lbs but more like 3200-3300lbs as well as seeing some nice pics of full leather and stitching i added a few things... i don't see it matters much now
Old 03-23-2007, 06:47 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
(besides, there are pure race cars that weigh over 3,000 lbs). ?
Well, as I said, to each their own. But outside of NASCAR (racing taxis) can you name one > 3000 lbs?

And the warranty issue, if it breaks on the track, you'd better come up with a different story...

Quick Reply: RS's in '08...anyone have confirmation?