RS's in '08...anyone have confirmation?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 03:06 PM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ +1 Finn

Originally Posted by AMG ETR
Spoke to the PRESIDENT (Peter Schwarzenbauer) and GENERAL MANAGER (Mick Pallardy) both from Porsche North America (PCNA) ....... They said if an 08 RS is coming, they don't know about it (and I would think they would). So there you have it, I and a bunch of others are screwed
Best Regards,
Evan
Politics 101
I bet they'll wait to see GT3+RS sales #'s through May and then...
Old 03-22-2007, 05:05 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

I agree, Paul. And if there is no RS for 2008, I'd wager the standard GT3 becomes available with a sunroof delete...
Old 03-22-2007, 05:10 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I agree, Paul. And if there is no RS for 2008, I'd wager the standard GT3 becomes available with a sunroof delete...
What is your logic behind it? GT3's or RS's are selling well as-is. Not to mention boat load of C2/4 are being sold as-is.

But I still want to hear your logic behind what sounds like, at least at this time, a wishful thinking.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:38 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Wow, guys,

One of you thinks their execs are fools, another thinks they lie or intentionally mislead...I have heard all manner of negative motivation attributed to Porsche execs over the whole GT-3/RS thing going back for a year now.

I can tell you that if I felt any of these things, I'd not buy a Porsche. If you think these guys are that evil/stupid, why do you even do business with the company? It's one thing to say a company has to remain fluid and can change its mind when issues become apparent. But what I read here is that they set out to misinform and/or deceive.

I don't see it...
Old 03-22-2007, 06:06 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

I don't share what you have concluded above. Porsche or any other manufacturer; it is always driven by profit and it is nothing wrong with that.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ///Mous3
What is your logic behind it? GT3's or RS's are selling well as-is. Not to mention boat load of C2/4 are being sold as-is.

But I still want to hear your logic behind what sounds like, at least at this time, a wishful thinking.
My logic that the standard GT3 will be available without sunroof in 2008? The reason many here believe the sunroof is mandatory is to give the US-spec RS a weight advantage (in lieu of the ROW RS's standard Club Sport spec). If there is no 2008 RS, the standard GT3 could be made lighter (and as a delete option, it would increase Porsche's profit margin on the car).

That said, as I've stated elsewhere, I don't think the RS will be a MY2007 only car unless that's all there is demand for. It's a big profit margin car for Porsche, and I believe they'll build as many as they can sell.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:34 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My logic that the standard GT3 will be available without sunroof in 2008? The reason many here believe the sunroof is mandatory is to give the US-spec RS a weight advantage (in lieu of the ROW RS's standard Club Sport spec). If there is no 2008 RS, the standard GT3 could be made lighter (and as a delete option, it would increase Porsche's profit margin on the car).
i've read that about making the sunroof mandantory on the base gt3 to keep it's weight higher than the RS as well.
didnt believe it for a minute . . . but i have read it posted!
of course the profit margin would only increase on the units ordered w/ sunroof delete, which even posters think would be a small percentage.
we can throw all the logic we want up in the air, but in the end, it really doesnt mean squat . . . does it alan?
we've got supposed inside info posted confirming both ways!
until porsche makes it official . . . we don't know bo diddly!
btw saw a recent pic of your old school chum, ss, on the beach in a bikini from behind!
you were right! she's lost it!
Old 03-22-2007, 07:55 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

I've got no inside info...just my own thoughts...so you're right, it doesn't mean squat. But as long as we're all sitting around here guessing about it, I'll throw my .02 in.

As far as SS goes, I can't blame her...I was in better shape 15 years ago, too...
Old 03-22-2007, 09:18 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got no inside info...just my own thoughts...so you're right, it doesn't mean squat. But as long as we're all sitting around here guessing about it, I'll throw my .02 in.

As far as SS goes, I can't blame her...I was in better shape 15 years ago, too...
inevitable, but still a little sad . . .

are you looking to purchase an RS if more were to become available alan?
i say i'm still looking but i think i realistically threw in the towel when premiums got silly!
Old 03-23-2007, 01:52 AM
frayed
Race Car

dood, your avatar sucks again.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:04 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by icon
...are you looking to purchase an RS if more were to become available alan? i say i'm still looking but i think i realistically threw in the towel when premiums got silly!
To be perfectly honest, the standard GT3 fits our needs a lot better. The little woman likes the sunroof and AC in our 997C2, and wishes for heated seats; if I got an RS, I'd want AC delete, PCCBs, racing shells, and a cage. It would be leased through one of our companies, which would appear easier with a standard GT3. And since I'll never pay a substantial premium for a car, I don't see an RS happening.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:59 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

To be perfectly honest, the standard GT3 fits our needs a lot better. The little woman likes the sunroof and AC in our 997C2, and wishes for heated seats; if I got an RS, I'd want AC delete, PCCBs, racing shells, and a cage. It would be leased through one of our companies, which would appear easier with a standard GT3. And since I'll never pay a substantial premium for a car, I don't see an RS happening.
I intend to equip my RS very comfortably, as Lou pointed out, no matter how you order, it will never be an ideal track car and skinning it just to feel better is kind of reverse logic, but to each their own.

Hey, about never paying a substantial premium. What do you think happens when you buy a used car from a dealer? And it is for a used car to boot. Lots of money changes hands in used cars. Some guys never inventory and make a ton of cash doing it, taking a pinch from dealer to dealer. Either way, you could save 10% or more by looking for a willing buyer.

Anyhow I was going to be speccing soon. Maybe a sunroof...
Old 03-23-2007, 10:27 AM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Just to throw a little more fuel on the fire... Porsche AG said no white 997 GT3 RS, then they gave in and sold people white for #4,xxx without RS graphics. Next they give in and include the standard RS graphics on the white cars.

I'm extremely pleased about the white with standard RS graphics, but you see my point about their management of this model.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:24 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by allegretto
What do you think happens when you buy a used car from a dealer?
Of the 25-30 cars I've owned, I think two were bought used from dealers, and they were both trucks and good deals. If the dealer made a profit, good for him. The rest were either bought new or used from private sellers.

I don't need to be the first on my block with a new model. Those are the people paying premiums on Porsches, BMWs, etc.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:45 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by allegretto
I intend to equip my RS very comfortably, as Lou pointed out, no matter how you order, it will never be an ideal track car and skinning it just to feel better is kind of reverse logic, but to each their own.
To each their own indeed. I feel exactly the opposite...to me equipping an RS "very comfortably" is contrary to the whole point of the car. It is an ideal track car in ROW spec. Race car? No. But yes, it is an ideal street legal weekend track car. "Skinning it" for me would be bringing it back to ROW spec as originally designed, nothing more.

Quick Reply: RS's in '08...anyone have confirmation?