997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS's in '08...anyone have confirmation?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007 | 03:14 PM
tmario
Rennlist Member

I think the rs would still be rare even at double the production, no? As a waiter I hope they make more. The company should take advantage of the demand right now. The they can come up with a 480 hp version....then 520....then ....
Old 03-09-2007 | 03:32 PM
JS
Race Car

Originally Posted by BobbyC
FWIW, this IS it...the 229 plus VIP cars. Don't ask me what I know or how I know it!
Hope your right Bobby.
Old 03-09-2007 | 03:47 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BobbyC
FWIW, this IS it...the 229 plus VIP cars. Don't ask me what I know or how I know it!
plus vip cars?
plus how many vip cars, and have they all been allocated?
you posted less info than has already been posted!

yeah, you guys that got allocations are production snobs!!!
Old 03-11-2007 | 03:05 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

In the Feb Excellence and the new GT mag they wright that they will build as many GT3's as they can to meet the demand.

Porsche's focus is on profit, why would they not make more car's with such strong demand?

I would bet on more 997 RS cars for 08 and to stir things up again with a new improved model in 09/10 as for those people who paid over list they will be sorry by the end of this summer, of course this only applies if money maters.

I have seen this same crazy with the Z06 in 01 and the 996 gt3 in 04.
Old 03-11-2007 | 03:58 AM
A430v
Racer

Originally Posted by Z06
In the Feb Excellence and the new GT mag they wright that they will build as many GT3's as they can to meet the demand.

Porsche's focus is on profit, why would they not make more car's with such strong demand?

I would bet on more 997 RS cars for 08 and to stir things up again with a new improved model in 09/10 as for those people who paid over list they will be sorry by the end of this summer, of course this only applies if money maters.

I have seen this same crazy with the Z06 in 01 and the 996 gt3 in 04.
Maybe, maybe not. If we can find out the magic number that the NHTSA/DOT mandates to make a vehicle limited in order to "bypass" crash tests, then this would end all the debate. The RS has no sunroof because PAG/PCNA is only importing a limited amount, limited enough that the RS can bypass certain crash tests in order to NOT have a sunroof.
Old 03-11-2007 | 10:23 AM
frayed
Race Car

A while back some folks researched DOT waivers/exemptions. There was no record of a no sunroof exemption that could be located. There could be, but no proof to date.

My contention all along was that the sunroof thing was invented, that in reality it was forced into the GT3 as a means to differentiate two cars that otherwise were tough to differentiate due to the decontenting of the RS in the US.

The reason that the RS is so limited in production is due to PAG/PCNA learning its lesson from the Carrera GT and to a lesser extent the 996 GT3. I've now heard from two 'insiders' that the company has recognized that they screwed up on the Carrera GT and they felt it was bad for customers and bad for the company.
Old 03-11-2007 | 11:45 AM
jimhuber
Racer

Originally Posted by icon
plus vip cars?

Off topic. I am so glad you p shoped the green car with the orange wheels and other parts. I love it I could not see it in my head. Monday AM I am going to call and get the orange accents on the green car. This is hotttttt.
Old 03-11-2007 | 12:16 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jimhuber
Off topic. I am so glad you p shoped the green car with the orange wheels and other parts. I love it I could not see it in my head. Monday AM I am going to call and get the orange accents on the green car. This is hotttttt.
Jimbo!!! you gotta gimme some of whatever it is in your corncob pipe .... you are really keepin' it pimp, yo!!
you are def. one crazy *** M- F'er.....you have to come to one of the club or HSR races...I gotta meet "the man"... (you must bring some of your Ho's w/you!)

btw: I liked Jeff's black with the green accents the best...very minty!
Old 03-11-2007 | 12:40 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

frayed - can you elaborate on your "insider" comments on the Carrera GT.

What aspects were bad for customers/bad for the company?
Old 03-11-2007 | 01:29 PM
normank
Racer

Originally Posted by icon
plus vip cars?

Black w/Green accents. Still the best. If I had a shot at an RS, I would send them that picture.
Old 03-11-2007 | 02:52 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
frayed - can you elaborate on your "insider" comments on the Carrera GT.

What aspects were bad for customers/bad for the company?
I don't have a lot of information, but both comments came independently through two different sources w/i PCNA.

Each said the Carrera GT overproduction was regrettable, alienating customers by taking what was supposed to be a limited production run and turning it up xx% (I don't know the numbers) based on 'sold' orders. Those sold orders were misrepresentations by dealers. As a result, cars sat on dealer lots. Until recently, I believe cars were still available. I think Colm received his car two months ago and new GT inventory had dipped below a dozen or so. Not sure if there are still new cars available. Pretty crazy for a 2004 car.

What I was told above is contrary to other reports stating that 1500 were originally planned, yet production ceased at 1200 (600 or so sold in the US).

Anyway, the upshot was that PCNA/PAG is going to be cautious about bringing more RS's into the US and will apparently do more diligence on their end to make sure that dealers have bona fide buyers lined up.
Old 03-11-2007 | 05:01 PM
krC2S
Racer

i agree that the sunroof is enforced..actually crash testing and sunrrof are independent

porsche could have chose GT3 w/o sunroof and crash test it but this was needed for RS to maintain 44lbs weight savings etc and NOT to make the GT3 appeal to posuers as some say beuase many ferraris and lambos come w/o a sunroof and that hasn't hurt them

as far as RS porsche could have chosen to bring it as a limited number and get an exemption regualtions/limit???

or bring as much as they want and pay the cost of crash testing

it's a bussiness decision..do we know that they for sure chose the first route?
Old 03-12-2007 | 05:59 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Smile

Asking dealers whether more of them coming is like asking a barber whether you need a haircut! Every manufacturer believes, "If you can sell it, we can built it." RS' are selling like hotcakes in the US.
Old 03-13-2007 | 02:13 PM
Max Power
Racer

Originally Posted by ///Mous3
Asking dealers whether more of them coming is like asking a barber whether you need a haircut! Every manufacturer believes, "If you can sell it, we can built it." RS' are selling like hotcakes in the US.

Every couple of weeks, I contact two different dealers, and ask them if there's any new information regarding more GT3 RS.

The dealer where I have a deposit for an RS says "no news, but we remain hopeful".

The dealer where I don't have a deposit says "there are going to be GT3 available in 2008, but no more RS are coming. I am ready to take a deposit for a GT3" every time we speak. I tell him it's either a new RS or a used RS for me, but he keeps trying to sell me a GT3. This dealer refuses to take a deposit for an RS, but will take one for a GT3.
Old 03-21-2007 | 01:24 PM
Chilipadi
Track Day

http://www.autospies.com/news/When-d...e-scoop-13536/

Surveying dealers for 3's and RS's?

Quick Reply: RS's in '08...anyone have confirmation?