Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Sunroof delete

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 03:34 PM
HMS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say go for it. The hole is just unnatural on this car.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:53 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobodys fixating, just gonna delete it if labor isn't too expensive.

Fixating would be when all whiners say they wouldn't buy the car b/c of the SR. Oh the horror. Oh the shock.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:03 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

wow you guys make a mountain out of a mole hill. this work is nowhere near as disasterous as you make it out to be. from my experience with M3's having this done the car will be fine and there will be buyers for it. roof is not structural...period. the oem M3 roof is held on with just a few spot welds. the csl cf roof is held on with glue! the manufacturer wouldn't have done that if the roof panel was at all structural. i haven't looked at the innards of the 997 roof but from what I hear its near identical to the process BMW uses.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:08 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by carrering
wow you guys make a mountain out of a mole hill. this work is nowhere near as disasterous as you make it out to be. from my experience with M3's having this done the car will be fine and there will be buyers for it. roof is not structural...period. the oem M3 roof is held on with just a few spot welds. the csl cf roof is held on with glue! the manufacturer wouldn't have done that if the roof panel was at all structural. i haven't looked at the innards of the 997 roof but from what I hear its near identical to the process BMW uses.
Like I said before, it's *relatively* simple and if I were doing this, IMHO I'd most likely go with CF.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:19 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
Like I said before, it's *relatively* simple and if I were doing this, IMHO I'd most likely go with CF.
I'm with you. If you are going to do this might as well go all out. However, I definitely respect using oem panel. It will fit perfect guaranteed. With an aftermarket CF roof panel, you have to make sure its made perfect. I'll let someone else pioneer that one before I jump in....but I am planning on jumping :-)
Old 02-21-2007, 05:39 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by carrering
...I definitely respect using oem panel. It will fit perfect guaranteed. With an aftermarket CF roof panel, you have to make sure its made perfect...
Definitely...
Old 02-21-2007, 05:54 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I would actually pay a premium for a 997 GT3 with no top hole. Personally, it's worth $3k more for an used car, but that's just me.

The 996 and 997 use the same part number for the solid roof skin, and different part numbers for the open-top roof skin.

I would do it in Carbon fiber, as there is no welding needed, just the resin used on the M3 CSL, M6, and GT3 RSR. That would actually make the car look meaner, and carry an extra premium on the used market (for me).
Old 02-21-2007, 06:34 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

How about a lexan roof with some Gorilla glue? Line it with some solar photo voltaic cells and then dump the alternator. You might even get a tax credit from Jorge

Quick Reply: Sunroof delete