Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The ad nauseum speculation of whether or not there will be add'l RS's

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 10:31 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The ad nauseum speculation of whether or not there will be add'l RS's

prompts me to ask: If in fact there will be 30 or so "bonus" RS's bringing the total US allocation to 259 units; how can there be add'l units if the sunroof-less 997 bodies have yet to be crash tested?

Is it just hearsay that the lack of a crash test is the rate limiting factor in total production of US bound units?

If they do crash test the 997 w/o a sunroof and thus allow further allocations to be had; what will the current scores of base 997 GT3 buyers have to say about the subsequent cars coming with crash tested bodies and the forseeable option of having a sunroof or not in future 997 GT3 orders?

Articulated comments appreciated.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:42 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I, for one, couldn't care less if they do make sunroof delete an option for the GT-3. It won't diminish the value of my sunroofed car to me. I consider myself to be a very competent driver and can't imagine I would notice any performance difference without the hole. I am not worried about resale value. I would think that the majority of buyers of this car will be using it on the street for almost all of its miles and might be tempted to open the sunroof once in a while (so long as nobody is looking!).

I do wish I had the opportunity to buy an RS instead of the GT-3 though as the rear carrier and suspension would be noticable. The weight difference is a joke.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:05 AM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Wink My $0.02

Perhaps 2% of GT3 buyers in the US are on this forum. However, I have read many posts before the cars hit the street, stating their dislike of the sunroof. Then again, people still buy the car becasue they really have no choice.

If '08 GT3 can be had without the sunroof, it will be more desirable.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:17 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I think there is more than 11 GT3 buyers here. considering there are 588 GT3's this year I would say Rennlisters make up 10-15%!
Old 02-20-2007, 12:27 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ///Mous3
Perhaps 2% of GT3 buyers in the US are on this forum. However, I have read many posts before the cars hit the street, stating their dislike of the sunroof. Then again, people still buy the car becasue they really have no choice.

If '08 GT3 can be had without the sunroof, it will be more desirable.
It would be more desirable to most buyers. But the truth is that most drivers would be hard pressed to tell the difference on the track, so to me, it makes little difference. When I go to sell the car, I will take my usual loss...

But of course, if I had the choice, it would be no sunroof!

Then again maybe next year there will be a sunroof delete option on the GT-3 with the newly improved TC, namely PSM!!!
Old 02-20-2007, 12:39 PM
Max Power
Racer

Originally Posted by carrering
I think there is more than 11 GT3 buyers here. considering there are 588 GT3's this year I would say Rennlisters make up 10-15%!

I've been keeping track, and I believe there are about 70 USA RS buyers here and about 10 ROW RS buyers here.

Close to 1/3 of the RSs in the USA are on Rennlist.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:57 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mitch236
I, for one, couldn't care less if they do make sunroof delete an option for the GT-3. It won't diminish the value of my sunroofed car to me. I consider myself to be a very competent driver and can't imagine I would notice any performance difference without the hole. I am not worried about resale value. I would think that the majority of buyers of this car will be using it on the street for almost all of its miles and might be tempted to open the sunroof once in a while (so long as nobody is looking!). . .
Actually, if the truth be known, the 997 sunroof is really great in the tilted position, as it enables you to hear the car's engine / exhaust much more clearly. I can't wait to hear the GT3, especially after the Excellence comments on how the car sounds.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:04 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Question Huh?

Originally Posted by carrering
11/588 = 0.0187 and that is less than 2%.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:10 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lawjdc
I can't wait to hear the GT3, especially after the Excellence comments on how the car sounds.
Wait till you do. It is intoxicating!
Old 02-20-2007, 03:16 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ///Mous3
11/588 = 0.0187 and that is less than 2%.
that is correct. what aren't you understanding? i'm saying i think there are at least 60-90 rennlisters that either own this car or planning to purchase one this year....making us 10-15% of the market. considerably higher than 11 people or approximately 2%. 12 is just over.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:11 PM
Porsche Rebel
AutoX

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mitch236
Wait till you do. It is intoxicating!
Agreed, the exhaust note with the sport mode on is very addictive!! I was lucky to have received an 07 GT3 from the first shipment to Houston in January and have love driving it eversince...
Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2007, 05:37 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by leif997
...how can there be add'l units if the sunroof-less 997 bodies have yet to be crash tested?

Is it just hearsay that the lack of a crash test is the rate limiting factor in total production of US bound units?
I believe the answer is 'yes', crash testing has never been the issue. Since we don't get the GT3 RS in 'club sport' spec like the ROW, the GT3's mandatory sunroof makes the RS that much more attractive as the ultimate 997 GT3 track car.

Although if this is the case, I'm surprised the two cars weren't differentiated further; the GT3 with a rear seat option, for instance, and the RS strictly hard-core (not available with any luxury options, like the 996 GT3).
Old 02-20-2007, 08:15 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I believe the answer is 'yes', crash testing has never been the issue. Since we don't get the GT3 RS in 'club sport' spec like the ROW, the GT3's mandatory sunroof makes the RS that much more attractive as the ultimate 997 GT3 track car.

Although if this is the case, I'm surprised the two cars weren't differentiated further; the GT3 with a rear seat option, for instance, and the RS strictly hard-core (not available with any luxury options, like the 996 GT3).

Alan, If I follow your line of reasoning correctly, then it seems that we can infer that the whole sunroof / crashtest issue was a marketing ploy to sell more RS's as the ultimate GT3?

Obviously, the "hole" has not presented a problem for the base GT3 sales as allocations are not all that common and are all but sold out. The RS paucity has generated some interesting speculations on multiple levels of resale values. Do you feel that PAG has purposely mislead their intended target group to generate pre-sales hype and then will spring upon the masses an X number of RS's to satisfy market demand?

What does this say about the RSR homologation issues that the RS was purported to be built upon?

speak upon this!
Old 02-20-2007, 08:46 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Alan, If I follow your line of reasoning correctly, then it seems that we can infer that the whole sunroof / crashtest issue was a marketing ploy to sell more RS's as the ultimate GT3?
To the best of my knowledge, crash testing was not an issue. Computer simulations are great! At least so I've been told...not confirmed.

Obviously, the "hole" has not presented a problem for the base GT3 sales as allocations are not all that common and are all but sold out. The RS paucity has generated some interesting speculations on multiple levels of resale values. Do you feel that PAG has purposely mislead their intended target group to generate pre-sales hype and then will spring upon the masses an X number of RS's to satisfy market demand?
Recent Porsche history will lead one to believe this, however my understanding is that this is not the case. Hole vs. No Hole is a great way to ensure the RS is lighter...

What does this say about the RSR homologation issues that the RS was purported to be built upon?

speak upon this!
This is not affected in any way...
Old 02-20-2007, 09:12 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

...then it seems that we can infer that the whole sunroof / crashtest issue was a marketing ploy to sell more RS's as the ultimate GT3?
Maybe not to sell more RS's, per se, but to justify its higher price and exclusivity in the US market, and as a "halo" track car, it allows the regular GT3s to be loaded up with options and have higher transaction prices (read: more profit).

All opinions, of course...but, yes, since we don't get all of the real RS parts, for the US market, that's what I think...a GT3 and GT3 RSA, if you will. I doubt any of the US production has anything to do with homologation.

Quick Reply: The ad nauseum speculation of whether or not there will be add'l RS's