PCCBs Yes or No on a GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 07:28 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,959 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Historically, with a few exceptions, options generally don't hold a lot of value come resale time. OTOH, if the PCCBs prove to be the real deal, then they could morph into a must have option. But, that will likely not be known for quite some time.
Jeff - I think you're mostly right there. However, I also think that if they prove to be the "Real Deal", their use will become much more common and their prices will drop into the sane realm. In several years, someone should be able to upgrade a 997GT3 to PCCB much more cheaply than one can today on the Porsche order sheet...
Old 02-10-2007, 07:44 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Jeff - I think you're mostly right there. However, I also think that if they prove to be the "Real Deal", their use will become much more common and their prices will drop into the sane realm. In several years, someone should be able to upgrade a 997GT3 to PCCB much more cheaply than one can today on the Porsche order sheet...
Just like all other emerging technologies eventually their adoption will become universal. Eventually prices will come down. Eventually we'll all be dead. The operative question is...do ya want it here and now at current prices? If there was only one option that one could afford or want, it should be PCCB!!! Screw, full leather, sat-nav, carbon trim, painted consoles...whatever. This one thing is pure performance and may save an *** or two!
Old 02-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by n2cars
I ordered PCCBs for an April build on a GT3. I can still make changes. I ordered PCCBs for resale purpose. I assumed the next buyer would want the PCCBs and the car would be easier to resell. I'll be keeping the car a year or less. Did I do the correct thing in ordering the PCCBs? I'm asking this question because I see some people are ordering their GT3 RS without the PCCBs. I thought PCCBs would be must have especially on the RS let alone a GT3?
If your intended use is mostly street...get them - they are indeed THE best brakes in the world. Mostly track....not cost (tangible performance improvement:value) effective (not even close), ridiculously expensive to replace (and often for moderate to serious track outings). Resale value concerns shouldn't even factor in. PCCB's are $4K++/corner to replace (yes per corner)...imagine how else you could apply $20K to your car in search of a better total package?
Old 02-10-2007, 07:49 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,959 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyC
Just like all other emerging technologies eventually their adoption will become universal. Eventually prices will come down. Eventually we'll all be dead. The operative question is...do ya want it here and now at current prices? If there was only one option that one could afford or want, it should be PCCB!!! Screw, full leather, sat-nav, carbon trim, painted consoles...whatever. This one thing is pure performance and may save an *** or two!
I have no argument with you - just don't buy them for resale...
Old 02-10-2007, 08:58 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I havre had GEN II on my front for almost a year and they are great. GEN I was a test platform and that is way there are so many people with a very bad feeling about them. Well deserved I think.
The only draw but I see with PCCB now is if you have an off there is a chance that the rocks can break the rotor. THe was a car at my dealer where a local tire shop did not use the guides, dropped the wheel and chipped the rotor.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:06 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 134 Posts

The reason I posted the question about the PCCBs is that my dealer said it's the MUST HAVE option for resale. The only other options I ordered were Bi-Xenon, fire extinguisher, chrono package, and heated seats. The car will be white. I'm new to the Porsche world and I have to trust my dealer that he is giving me good information. I just sold my Ferrari 430 and CCBs are more a negative than a positive for resale.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:17 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I got them on mine. They are fantastic. I also have a 997S with standard brakes, and there is no contest. They are a handling option as well, with a reduction of unsprung weight.

If money is not an issue get them. If it is an issue, give up something for awhile and still get them. I predict in the used market down the road, you will see some return over standard brakes. And if not, who cares. It's the cost of doing business. This is our hobby. Go all the way.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:31 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, I'm more than a convert. Have used the Gen2 PCCBs for over 2 years and 30k miles, street & track, on a pig heavy AWD Turbo S...and I can attest I've never experienced brake fade under any condition. The darn thing sheds speed as fast your want it to.
What are the rotors temps front and rear?
Do you have additional cooling beyond whatever is on the rear of the 996 Turbo S?
Which pads?
Which fluid?
By "Gen 2" do you mean 997?
Old 02-11-2007, 12:16 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
What are the rotors temps front and rear?
Do you have additional cooling beyond whatever is on the rear of the 996 Turbo S?
Which pads?
Which fluid?
By "Gen 2" do you mean 997?
Frankly, I've never taken a temp of the rotors...no additional cooling ducts...have used the "street" (ceramic Blacks) on the track...and Castrol SRF as brake fluid.

However, as a seat of the pants measure as to their endurance: Watkins Glen - which according to some is perhaps the hardest braking track in the NE...Zero issues. Hardly any rotor wear. A little "white" ash around edges of the front pads. Next event at VIR - Again no issues, no noticeable wear on rotors, same set of brake pads. After 30k miles rear rotors look almost like new, fronts still got ~ 80% life in 'em.

Now, granted I'm not a fast upper run group driver...but that's cause I'm slow in the turns but on the straights the heavy Turbo S gets up there on the speedo requiring some hard braking 'fore the next turn. One more thing that I do is a proper cool down lap most often without even tapping on the brakes. That I think is key along with a good brake fluid.

PS Gen2 are the same for the 997 MY and the '05 Turbo S. The 996 GT3 and GT2 got the Gen 1. About a year ago there was detailed article on the Gen 2's in Christoforus (i can't find it now) that really explained how far advanced the Gen2 is from the earlier Gen 1...check it out if u can get your hands on it.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:03 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Frankly, I've never taken a temp of the rotors...no additional cooling ducts...have used the "street" (ceramic Blacks) on the track...and Castrol SRF as brake fluid.

However, as a seat of the pants measure as to their endurance: Watkins Glen - which according to some is perhaps the hardest braking track in the NE...Zero issues. Hardly any rotor wear. A little "white" ash around edges of the front pads. Next event at VIR - Again no issues, no noticeable wear on rotors, same set of brake pads. After 30k miles rear rotors look almost like new, fronts still got ~ 80% life in 'em.

Now, granted I'm not a fast upper run group driver...but that's cause I'm slow in the turns but on the straights the heavy Turbo S gets up there on the speedo requiring some hard braking 'fore the next turn. One more thing that I do is a proper cool down lap most often without even tapping on the brakes. That I think is key along with a good brake fluid.

PS Gen2 are the same for the 997 MY and the '05 Turbo S. The 996 GT3 and GT2 got the Gen 1. About a year ago there was detailed article on the Gen 2's in Christoforus (i can't find it now) that really explained how far advanced the Gen2 is from the earlier Gen 1...check it out if u can get your hands on it.
Keep in mind the 997 GT3 is different again. Sizes, cooling, etc. And Porsche does not hesitate to introduce incremental changes.

I was hoping you'd have some new angle because this is a new problem.

You're right about the fundamentals -- good fluid like SRF or Motul 600 (which performance much the same despite the price disparity) and an effective cool-down lap seem to make a world of difference. Heat soak in the rears especially is intense.

The problem right now is the 997 GT3 comes in with the fronts cool and the rears boiling. The question is to determine whether that's over-heating or lack of cooling. In other words, are the rears working too hard for their design or are they not receiving adequate cooling given the work of a track like Laguna that quite possibly makes the brakes work harder than somewhere like the 'ring.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:14 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by n2cars
I ordered PCCBs for an April build on a GT3. I can still make changes. I ordered PCCBs for resale purpose. I assumed the next buyer would want the PCCBs and the car would be easier to resell. I'll be keeping the car a year or less. Did I do the correct thing in ordering the PCCBs? I'm asking this question because I see some people are ordering their GT3 RS without the PCCBs. I thought PCCBs would be must have especially on the RS let alone a GT3?
It doesn't take a crystal ball to predict the resale of a 997 GT3 a year from now, at least in the context of PCCBs.

I'd say you're looking at no more than fifty cents on the dollar for any option, including PCCB, give or take. After a couple of years, I'm sure a car with two year old ceramic rotors will be seen as a liability. Ceramics do survive, but they will eventually need replacement. and Porsche seems to want us to believe PCCBs will never be a warranty item.

I do imagine a percentage of secondary market buyers will be looking for PCCB-equipped 997 GT3s if those brakes maintain a good reputation. But who can say -- they could end up as infamous as the first generation on the 996 Mk2.

If you're buying the car with aforethought to selling it soon, sure, play with the ceramics. If you don't care for yourself, don't get them -- the car will sell just as quick and you won't be carrying the $8K option all the while. In short, don't get them unless you want them -- you will lose dollars on resale.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:18 AM
CorsicanBB
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
I got them on mine. They are fantastic. I also have a 997S with standard brakes, and there is no contest. They are a handling option as well, with a reduction of unsprung weight.

If money is not an issue get them. If it is an issue, give up something for awhile and still get them. I predict in the used market down the road, you will see some return over standard brakes. And if not, who cares. It's the cost of doing business. This is our hobby. Go all the way.
This is an interesting discussion. I am still in time to spec them on my car, I hope and have a simple question for you experts.

How does the reduced weight of PCCBs affect the quality of the ride? Does it become smoother compared to heavier brakes since the PASM has less work to do to compensate for the weight of the brakes? Or the other way around?
Old 02-11-2007, 01:36 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CorsicanBB
This is an interesting discussion. I am still in time to spec them on my car, I hope and have a simple question for you experts.

How does the reduced weight of PCCBs affect the quality of the ride? Does it become smoother compared to heavier brakes since the PASM has less work to do to compensate for the weight of the brakes? Or the other way around?
Imperceptible.
The unsprung weight and reduced rotating mass ("flywheel effect") pertain to ideal conditions and optimum performance.
From my experience, you'll notice more impact on ride quality by a change of 2 psi in the tyres than anything you'll do with unsprung weight.
Take the $8K for PCCBs and get two-piece rotors (alloy hat, steel rotor) with better dampers then get lighter wheels and tires. Well, it still won't be discernible to anyone short of the princess that can feel the pea under the stack of mattresses, but the dampers alone will do more for ride quality than the ceramic rotors.
And get a lightweight flywheel to reduce rotating mass.

In short, don't buy PCCB for anything other than on-the-limit braking and handling.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:39 AM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Like Frayed, I have faith they will hold up. I got PCCBs on my GT3; they are awesome. I've had them on my last 4 or 5 Porsches and I won't go back to iron. They spoil you. Especially on the 997 series.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:12 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got em and i hesitated on them ... would trade them for the world i love them on my car...
i cant debate the track decision bc itrack my other car ... they are awsome

Quick Reply: PCCBs Yes or No on a GT3?