Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

TPM in US GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007 | 10:00 AM
DarrellC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPM in US GT3 RS

I noticed that my US GT3 RS has the tire pressure monitoring system. The system is listed as standard equipment on the window sticker. I was surprised to see that. Does it come standard on normal 997 GT3s as well?

The weather is finally warming up today, so I'm going to put some miles on it. (I believe the high is supposed to be around 38 degrees.)
Old 02-10-2007 | 10:14 AM
gweedo911
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DarrellC
I noticed that my US GT3 RS has the tire pressure monitoring system. I didn't order any options (other than floor mats). Does it come standard on normal 997 GT3s as well?

The weather is finally warming up today, so I'm going to put some miles on it. (I believe the high is supposed to be around 38 degrees.)
Yes, It does. I'm doing the same. Taking a couple of hours for a milk run.
Old 02-10-2007 | 11:28 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,894 Likes on 2,410 Posts

I noticed that my US GT3 RS has the tire pressure monitoring system. The system is listed as standard equipment on the window sticker. I was surprised to see that. Does it come standard on normal 997 GT3s as well?

all MY 2007 cars (ok, not ALL, but most) porsche or not will have tire pressure monitoring system on them. gov't needs that **** for some reason.

i believe more GT3 trackers will pipe in near future as to the irritating warning l ight on the dash, after you lowered to track hot pressure, then too lazy to pump it back up on your drive home in somewhat colder tire temp.
Old 02-10-2007 | 01:44 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
all MY 2007 cars (ok, not ALL, but most) porsche or not will have tire pressure monitoring system on them. gov't needs that **** for some reason.

i believe more GT3 trackers will pipe in near future as to the irritating warning l ight on the dash, after you lowered to track hot pressure, then too lazy to pump it back up on your drive home in somewhat colder tire temp.
Yup, more federal government mandated crap that we have to pay for and put up with.
Old 02-11-2007 | 03:02 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Thumbs down Keep the government out!

What actually screwed me was that my 4x4 have that crap and don't the government know that off-roader often deflate their tires for better traction? What a bunch of fu@king lawyers; I tell ya...
Old 02-11-2007 | 04:12 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ///Mous3
What actually screwed me was that my 4x4 have that crap and don't the government know that off-roader often deflate their tires for better traction? What a bunch of fu@king lawyers; I tell ya...
unfortunate, gaining traction and provide safety isn't what they got in their mind. it's fuel economy. i am gonna run my car at 100psi so less rolling resistance
Old 02-11-2007 | 08:01 PM
Steve N.
Racer

Beg to differ - I suspect concern for safety plays a far bigger role than fuel economy in the push for tire pressure monitoring systems. Remember the Firestone blowout/rollover issues with the Ford Explorer? Low tire pressure in heavily loaded vehicles (sadly, multiple occupants) was known to be the dominant contributor to tire failure and then rollover. W/low pressure the tire wall flex raises temp, etc. until ....blowout.
Old 02-11-2007 | 08:05 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I hope the roads were clean enough for you to drive your GT3 RS a little. On your rear wing, the end plates are carbon fiber with a clear coat the same as the wing section correct? (As compared to a black or silver RS which have the wing end plates painted over in orange.)
Old 02-11-2007 | 09:15 PM
DarrellC
Advanced

Originally Posted by enthusiast
I hope the roads were clean enough for you to drive your GT3 RS a little. On your rear wing, the end plates are carbon fiber with a clear coat the same as the wing section correct? (As compared to a black or silver RS which have the wing end plates painted over in orange.)
I put about 120 miles on it yesterday. I want to put a few miles on it before a March 3 & 4 DE event.

The end plates are clear coat over the carbon fiber.
Old 02-11-2007 | 09:28 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

For a moment I thought TPM was Throttle Position Measurement system. Damn...
Old 02-16-2007 | 03:38 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

fekking hell man... I hate that TPMS ****. What a PIA for having different wheels and so forth. Speaking of which I think we may be in the clear for some 18s for the track... stay tuned
Old 02-16-2007 | 03:43 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by sharkster
fekking hell man... I hate that TPMS ****. What a PIA for having different wheels and so forth. Speaking of which I think we may be in the clear for some 18s for the track... stay tuned
keep me posted on 18's.
i dont want HRE of any sort, no deep dish or reverse lip. just normal looking, lite and strong wheels.
Old 02-16-2007 | 03:44 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

I put about 120 miles on it yesterday. I want to put a few miles on it before a March 3 & 4 DE event.

The end plates are clear coat over the carbon fiber.
c'mon. i put 1900 miles on my 12 day old car already. and it is not as cool as GT3.
Old 02-16-2007 | 03:53 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Mooty, I know you don't get bothered by the TPM dashboard warning, because you're doing the right thing: You're looking ahead.

When the complaints come from other drivers, we know they're not driving fast enough. The good news is that duct tape is available in nice colors to cover the instrument cluster warning screen.
Old 02-16-2007 | 05:00 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

keep me posted on 18's.
i dont want HRE of any sort, no deep dish or reverse lip. just normal looking, lite and strong wheels.
Oh hey man.. i know where you're coming from but in terms of the HRE if I ever refer to them it's their C_series which has a stepped lip, lighter than any of my BBS race wheels, strong as heck and not anything bling or that type... They actually have another version of that series coming with machind out centers (just like the BBS race ones) but that's a different story. Trying to work with Fikse and a few others on this but no doubt I'm going to be hitting calipers for a while:P

PS Looks like my car will only be here july-time. **** I'll be like a year older byt then

Quick Reply: TPM in US GT3 RS