Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 Vs Audi R8?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007 | 08:30 AM
Shane O'Neill
Instructor

I dont think it is good looking enough.
And I am not sure how well it will look in 10 years time.
Shane
Old 02-09-2007 | 09:50 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Funny how R8 sounds so similar to Z8.
Another flop that everyone RAVED over when it first came out.

The R8 won't live beyond one refresh.
Besides, it's disgustingly ugly - who at Audi approved the use of a Nissan 300ZX as the basis of it's design cues.

The only reason we are clamoring over this thing is that it's the first new car with over 400HP we've seen in the auto world since the Z8 and we all know what happened to that thing.
Old 02-09-2007 | 09:50 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

While I agree that it does not compete with the GT3, it is a stunner up close and personal. I sat in the production version on display in New York City, and Audi didn't screw around (and it didn't have a sun roof ).

Like most Audi's, it seems way over built. If they ever drop a v10 in there, it will be a true beast, albeit a much more expensive beast. One interesting thing is all detail, including the carbon fiber airbox and engine bay covers, illustrating that its targeted at a very specific crowd. I would be great to get a light version of the R8, sans all this and the 90 pound 8 way automatic adjustable seats ( the seats despite their obvious weight, are very nice and very supportive.

The Audi Union car next to it, was by far, much cooler. I didn't get to sit in it, but I did touch it, much to the annoyance of the photographer. I just wanted to touch a $15-$20mm car!
Old 02-09-2007 | 11:37 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

the problem here in Seattle is that if you are not on the list with a deposit right now your only chance is if they have 09s on the way.
Old 02-09-2007 | 11:51 AM
GoFastKindaGuy
Instructor

I saw both the R8 and the GT3 during manufacturer testing on the Nurburgring last May. The R8 was a very capable car, but the GT3 was a little faster. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I like the R8 looks. That said, I cancelled my spot for an R8 and bought a GT3RS.
Old 02-09-2007 | 11:55 AM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

GT3 looks so damn close to any other Porsche with a kit. R8 looks like R8. But damn, 6-figure Audi???

Isn't R8 based on Lambo chassis? What do you mean "unproven" when it shares the RS4 engine?
Old 02-09-2007 | 01:23 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by ///Mous3
Isn't R8 based on Lambo chassis? What do you mean "unproven" when it shares the RS4 engine?
You think that a modded lambo chassis and an RS4 derivative motor makes the car proven?

When people on this board speak of proven, they're talking about how well sorted the entire car is based on generations of cars before it, and depth of engineering based on racing experience.

The R8? Comparatively none, releative to the yardstick people are using.
Old 02-09-2007 | 01:55 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Originally Posted by frayed
You think that a modded lambo chassis and an RS4 derivative motor makes the car proven?

When people on this board speak of proven, they're talking about how well sorted the entire car is based on generations of cars before it, and depth of engineering based on racing experience.

The R8? Comparatively none, releative to the yardstick people are using.
Yesterday you wrote:
"Definitely recommned the R8."

Am I missing the sarcasm or are you hoping to move up a spot on the GT3 wait list?
Old 02-09-2007 | 02:49 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

If you're in the market for a GT3 then the R8 is not for you and vice versa. Now if they build an "RS8" with track driving more in mind, then maybe. As others have mentioned, this is more of a lux coupe GT...and as far as styling, I didn't like it at first but it's growing on me more with each pic I see...
Old 02-09-2007 | 02:49 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CCRider
Until yesterday, I was convinced that a 2008 997 GT3 was the only new car for me. Now, in Autoweek, I see and read the "glowing" report of a "first drive" in this new Audi.

So now it appears, I may have to choose! I currently own a Z06 (C5) which is not a daily driver, and which is not tracked (none local). I would greatly appreciate any input relative to assisting me in choosing. If the Audi was RWD and weighed around 3,000 pounds, I think it would get the nod. My dealer, who sells both marques, says he believes the two cars will be "similiarly" priced.

Your input will be appreciated,

Thanks,

Curtis
What are your intended usages? If I were tracking, I'd definately get the GT-3. If I were driving on the street I'd definately get the...GT-3. But that's me. I do not have good luck with Audis or BMWs unfortunately.

Further, the market for used Audi sports cars is as yet pretty non-existant and if you are buying an unproven commodity it never hurts to consider re-sale values.

But YMMV
Old 02-09-2007 | 02:54 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Holger B
Am I missing the sarcasm or are you hoping to move up a spot on the GT3 wait list?

Yeah, I was just messing around in that prior post, trying to anticipate what some would say.
Old 02-09-2007 | 03:03 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RR
...Z8...another flop that everyone RAVED over when it first came out.
How do you define "flop"? Seems to me all cars were sold at or above MSRP, and did so in the used market for years after (and are still commanding very high prices).
Old 02-09-2007 | 03:05 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by prosper
...not to mention if the R8 later not selling very well like Phaeton, then Audi will stop producing the next generation and it will be like
an Orphan car.
...or if Porsche kills it...remember they are now the majority shareholder of Audi's parent company, VW.
Old 02-09-2007 | 03:14 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

alan,

give us a break.
Without Porsche's help, the R8 will be a dud. 100% guaranteed.

Do you not think if the Z8 was well received that BMW would still be building it, just like they still continue to build X5's, X3's, etc. Come on give your head a shake.

The R8 is neither a sports car nor a sedan, just like the Z8 was. BMW had the M5 for that, just as Audi has the RS4, RS6. The market for sports cars isn't that huge to be honest, and the R8 has no place in it. If you feel that strongly go buy one and find out.
Old 02-09-2007 | 03:26 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by supercup
If you are going to choose an R8 you better do so quickly. I was at the dealer a few weeks back looking at the Q7 for my wife. He said less that 100 cars for 2007 for the entire USA - then 500-850 for 2008, pending production capacity and demand.

I would personally get the GT3, a proven commodity, and let someone else break in the new car, besides it will be trumped in 2008 (late) with a V10 version and then a super diesel version, more dollars, but what's another 20% when spending $100K on a car.

Good luck, R8 will have the new and cool factor for sure and if you get one early and sell within a year you will do fine.

JCM
I believe Audi plans on bringing 1k annually. Now as long as dealers aren't going to load up options on every single one (which is believe to be as much as $20k) and aren't going to be too greedy on the mark-ups (which i believe they will). They will have no problem selling 1k of these around $100k. But if everyone is fully loaded plus hefty mark-ups (think $150k when all said & done), I doubt they will sell 1k units...

Just my $0.02

Quick Reply: GT3 Vs Audi R8?