Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Any news on an 08 RS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007 | 05:25 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Default Any news on an 08 RS?

Jim, you mentioned last week that there will be some kind of conference giving some info this week.
Have you heard anything?
Old 01-24-2007 | 10:29 PM
jimhuber
Racer

Originally Posted by RR
Jim, you mentioned last week that there will be some kind of conference giving some info this week.
Have you heard anything?
I have heard the same thing that I have heard from the first day the car was being developed. The car is only being to holomogate the RSR, and the 229 is the max they can bring in, peroid. The car will I think be one of the lowest production Porsche cars. Nothing on the regular US market is so low, the bumper heigth and ife crash test problems. I think this car, in this country is a rare chance with the FEDS. The reason I have talked about the car being more valuable than regular cars is just for the limited numbers, not for the car but how rare the car is becarse of how the car is. Do you think that toyota could bring a car like this in? Honda? VW? BMW? NO, this car is a fluke for this country and the one year 229 cars drives that.
Old 01-25-2007 | 11:36 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

But the regular GT3 has the same ride height doesn't it?
What does the RS have that the regular GT3 doesn't have that makes the RS the "fluke"?

R
Old 01-25-2007 | 12:00 PM
frayed
Race Car

I cannot see how ride height is an issue. That's complete horse****.

Sunroof and crash testing seems like a sound theory. Lotus got waivers for the low production numbers of the Elise, for the non compliant headlights and bumpers. However, if Porsche got a waiver for the no-sunroof car, there must be documentation. Lotus got their waiver based on economic hardship, which clearly Porsche cannot claim. I know nothing about the waiver/exemption process, but I don't buy crash testing/ride height/bumper reasoning until I see written proof. Hell, somebody earlier came up with documents showing Porsche's attempt at bringing Lexan into the US and the DOTs refusal to permit it.

For the Elise, it can be seen here:

http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elis...exemption.html

Where's the waiver for the RS?

Edit: if there really were crash testing/waiver issues that keep the production low, it surely would have been reported in the several articles and interviews with the RS development head (forgot his name, see current issue of Excellence).
Old 01-25-2007 | 01:50 PM
jimhuber
Racer

Originally Posted by RR
But the regular GT3 has the same ride height doesn't it?
What does the RS have that the regular GT3 doesn't have that makes the RS the "fluke"?

R
I have not seen the spec on the ride heigth. I was thinking the RS was to sit lower. The pictures I have seen of the cars it looks like the RS is lower. I agree that some information of official type should be out.
Old 01-25-2007 | 02:06 PM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

With the adjustale suspension on these cars, surely you can have an alignment/set up after you have taken delivery to whatever height you choose?
Old 01-25-2007 | 03:10 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimhuber
I have not seen the spec on the ride heigth. I was thinking the RS was to sit lower. The pictures I have seen of the cars it looks like the RS is lower. I agree that some information of official type should be out.
This information has been available since last July. Both GT3 and RS come from the factory 30mm lower than the Carrerra and both have total height of 1,280mm.

Ride ht, can be adjusted from there.
Old 01-25-2007 | 04:07 PM
krC2S
Racer

the limited production and crash testing story is made to seem like prosche had no choice!
unless porsche thinks that they will not make enough profit from selling more RS's to compensate for money lost on crash testing they would have chose to crash test it and bring an unlimited number.

i would think they would make more money by selling more cars given 2-3 years untill 998 comes out

the sunroof is an independent thing IMO prosche could have decided to bring and crash test sunroofless only GT3/RS with no difference in cost but GT3 without sunroof would have killed the RS in US due to inability to bring CF seats
Old 01-25-2007 | 04:23 PM
Max Power
Racer

Originally Posted by RR
Have you heard anything?

Hi Jim,
On Jan 15th you said that there would be a press conference in Spain next week which would clear this issue up, but I can't find anything regarding a press conference. Do you have a URL / link to the info?

thanks!
Old 01-25-2007 | 07:03 PM
jimhuber
Racer

Originally Posted by Max Power
Hi Jim,
On Jan 15th you said that there would be a press conference in Spain next week which would clear this issue up, but I can't find anything regarding a press conference. Do you have a URL / link to the info?

thanks!
my dealer told me he was going to spain for th launch of the new camen. I will call him this weekend and ask about the new information. I think Porsche should tell the intentions of the company with regard to the RS.

Quick Reply: Any news on an 08 RS?