HOWTO: adjust the rear wing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 05:23 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HOWTO: adjust the rear wing?

Hi Folks,

I have my first DE this saturday at WS!! I am very excited and nervous. I only have about 1500 miles on the car right now, but I plan to get to at least 1800 before the event. 200 miles should be close enough and I do not plan to go at 110% all day, prolly just 85% to 95% most of the day. The gt3 handles a lot differently than my 997 did. The gt3 has so much more 'bite'.

Anyway, how do I adjust the rear wing of the car to add more downforce? Is there something online which describes the process? Is there a special tool or wrench that I need to change the angle?

I asked my dealer, and they said they have no manuals on this.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 01-23-2007, 05:35 PM
grussell
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will you be at the POC event at the Streets? I'll be there Sunday. Are you only going Saturday?
Old 01-23-2007, 06:22 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by grussell
Will you be at the POC event at the Streets? I'll be there Sunday. Are you only going Saturday?

I am going to be on the big track with speedventures.com

I am only going saturday

My heart can not handle two days in a row.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:45 PM
grussell
Pro

awesome! have fun and enjoy the new toy!
Old 01-23-2007, 06:56 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would just check the angle of incidence ( should be at about 8' ) and not mess with it until you have enough set time to evaluate if more or less is indicated at the specific track you are at.....it is not something I would change indiscriminately.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:35 PM
Barfly
Racer

Should be fun Greg! I will be karting on Saturday at WillowSprings and I may stop by to say hi and take a look at your ride. Take it easy that day, especially if it's your first time. I wouldn't touch the wing on that day, or anytime soon if you are just starting with HPDE events.

Again, take it easy, and you will have a blast. Not to worry you, but someone slapped the wall recently in a brand new 997 GT3 at the Big Track. Don't know the circumstances, but that is too nice of a machine to dent up. Just be smooth, drive within your limits, and that will never happen.

Have fun, take it easy, and I may see you Saturday!
Old 01-23-2007, 09:17 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pyruvate
Should be fun Greg! I will be karting on Saturday at WillowSprings and I may stop by to say hi and take a look at your ride. Take it easy that day, especially if it's your first time. I wouldn't touch the wing on that day, or anytime soon if you are just starting with HPDE events.

Again, take it easy, and you will have a blast. Not to worry you, but someone slapped the wall recently in a brand new 997 GT3 at the Big Track. Don't know the circumstances, but that is too nice of a machine to dent up. Just be smooth, drive within your limits, and that will never happen.

Have fun, take it easy, and I may see you Saturday!
cool - I look forward to meeting you - my gt3 has number 642 on it [i hope it stays on] and its SY
Old 01-23-2007, 09:18 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by leif997
I would just check the angle of incidence ( should be at about 8' ) and not mess with it until you have enough set time to evaluate if more or less is indicated at the specific track you are at.....it is not something I would change indiscriminately.
Leif,

8' = does that mean 8 degrees?

Is there a tool you use to measure that? Where do I get it?

TIA,
Greg
Old 01-23-2007, 09:47 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be up there with the POC this weeked (streets) and The big track next week. Woo hoo. I'm taking up residence at the inn of Lancaster.

What turn did someone slap the wall? The usual? 9?
Old 01-23-2007, 10:01 PM
Barfly
Racer

Originally Posted by va122
I'll be up there with the POC this weeked (streets) and The big track next week. Woo hoo. I'm taking up residence at the inn of Lancaster.

I believe it was turn 4, at Budweiser balcony. It's not as common as blowing turn 9, but it has been done before.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Barfly
Racer

By the way, Jack Olsen has a lot of good WSIR track footage. Here is a sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V19FaNarUUg
Old 01-23-2007, 10:39 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by crispenigl
Hi Folks,

I have my first DE this saturday at WS!! I am very excited and nervous. I only have about 1500 miles on the car right now, but I plan to get to at least 1800 before the event. 200 miles should be close enough and I do not plan to go at 110% all day, prolly just 85% to 95% most of the day. The gt3 handles a lot differently than my 997 did. The gt3 has so much more 'bite'.

Anyway, how do I adjust the rear wing of the car to add more downforce? Is there something online which describes the process? Is there a special tool or wrench that I need to change the angle?

I asked my dealer, and they said they have no manuals on this.

Thanks,
Greg
It would be great to play with the wing at Willow Springs, especially getting a feel for the different speeds required to get noticeable downforce in the sweepers.

Unfortunately, the wing is not easy to adjust. Not easy because it requires different shelf brackets to raise the wing. There's three "holes" in the back mount, which I presume equate to the shims of the 996. I've been asking around but nobody has yet found the part numbers for the brackets to adjust the wing.

You could "mod" the angle by cutting large shims and buying longer bolts to secure the wing, wedging the back section up on the shims, say 5mm at a time. The holes are about 3-5mm apart, but that doesn't mean much until we see the brackets -- if they even exist -- to use the other two holes (as the actress said to the bishop.)

For your first day, use 29/34psi cold. Vary after that starting point as you please. You'll notice understeer. Try PASM in "Sport" and normal (off) modes. Give it time (a whole 20 minute session to learn and adapt.) I found PASM in Sport helped dial out some understeer and increase roll stiffness.

I've adjusted the sways from the stock 2/5 and 3/3 to 1/5 (full soft) and 3/3 (full stiff) in the rear. Tomorrow at Laguna, I hope to have a better idea of what it will take to improve the handling on a bumpy, fast course. Always tricky.

Good luck!

Last edited by Carrera GT; 02-02-2007 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:47 PM
Barfly
Racer

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I've adjusted the sways from the stock 2/5 and 3/3 to 1/5 (full soft) and 3/3 (full stiff) in the rear. Tomorrow at Laguna, I hope to have a better idea of what it will take to improve the handling on a bumpy, fast course. Always tricky.

Good luck!
GT, is there any understeer with your full soft front and full stiff rear sway settings? If so, is there a stiffer rear sway option for the 997 gt3?

It's ok to have a little understeer for your first trackday. It's a safety measure, courtesy of the porsche factory.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:49 PM
Barfly
Racer

GT, how adjustable are the dampers on the gt3?
Old 01-23-2007, 11:16 PM
grussell
Pro

Originally Posted by va122

I'll be at the Big track tomorrow in the GT3 and Sunday at the Streets. I'll see you there. #260 white 997 GT3.

Quick Reply: HOWTO: adjust the rear wing?