HOWTO: adjust the rear wing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 11:36 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pyruvate
GT, is there any understeer with your full soft front and full stiff rear sway settings? If so, is there a stiffer rear sway option for the 997 gt3?

It's ok to have a little understeer for your first trackday. It's a safety measure, courtesy of the porsche factory.
I'm trying to figure out which of the various 996 bars might work. I'm told the 997 Cup bar might be applicable. The RSR has blades and they're wildly expensive of course.

The understeer that's there is more a trap than a problem -- once you fail to set up the car and get a crisp turn-in, the punishment is understeer. Conversely, when you do get the weight transfer and rotate the car and get it set on the rear suspension, if feels fantastic and the cornering speeds climb quickly.

The interesting thing is how the car behaves at different speeds in terms of understeer. I find that it reaches a threshold speed -- I'm not sure, because I'm not watching the speedo -- but I think it's around 80-90 mph. I don't know if it's purely mechanical or if it's related to PASM making "decisions." I can't put it into words right now, but I'll be trying to study this further tomorrow and next week. It's very hard to feel on the road because of the variables. And it's very different to the 996 GT3, which rewards consistency and smooth control inputs. The 997 does the same, but it also seems to absorb or perhaps even compensate. For example, the 997 has the same "shimmy" feeling in the rear as the suspension seems to load right through to the chassis bushings, then release some of that energy, then occilate through that shimmy effect. The 996 does this is a more "obvious" way (to the seat of the pants) while the 997 is more like its letting you know there's some undulations, but you don't seem to need to drive the car more steadily -- I find the 996 rewards a very steady hand on the steering wheel, while the 997 seems to tolerate more mid-course corrections, especially combined with a wide open throttle (which is a recipe for troubles in the 996, because once you're at wide open, the only recourse is steering input, so you better have plenty of track to catch oversteer or adjust big slip angles.)

So, I guess I can say I see the refinement in the 997, but PASM blurs the picture. Or least that's my suspicion. I'd really like to be able to read "the book" on PASM and understand just what it's doing and the algorithms or maps or rules in play. I don't want to just put PASM up as the scapegoat for everything I don't like.

And on a personal note, just the thought of another day at the track with the 997 GT3 is exciting and occupying my thoughts. For me, that's the proof of a great 911 -- it's a worthy successor to the 996 GT3.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:38 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pyruvate
GT, how adjustable are the dampers on the gt3?
I have no idea. But they're both adjustable and very fast. They can react in something like a tenth of a second and make adjustments even more frequently. Examples of their good influences include a reduction in unwanted squat and dive without preventing the car from loading up the front under brakes or the rear under cornering and straight line acceleration. Again, it would be great to have complete information on how PASM works, what it's capable of doing and the rules governing how it operates.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:49 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
And on a personal note, just the thought of another day at the track with the 997 GT3 is exciting and occupying my thoughts. For me, that's the proof of a great 911 -- it's a worthy successor to the 996 GT3.
I'll be at LS tomorrow as well. I'm guessing you're Adam listed in the other GT3.
I'll be taking it easy in my 6 since this is my first track event in this car and I'm no where near the advanced level. Looking forward to seeing your car. Should be a great day....can't wait.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:22 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjb
I'll be at LS tomorrow as well. I'm guessing you're Adam listed in the other GT3.
I'll be taking it easy in my 6 since this is my first track event in this car and I'm no where near the advanced level. Looking forward to seeing your car. Should be a great day....can't wait.
Excellent. Let's passenger in each other's car. Nothing radical, just lapping.
I want to get some bullet-cam video tomorrow and play with the sways, but otherwise, it's just going to be a great day and very few people expected, so a lot of track time. You're going to love how the 996 GT3 just devours Laguna. And bring your sunscreen!

Quick Reply: HOWTO: adjust the rear wing?