Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

**Disabling PASM with No Faults or DTC's.**

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 03:19 PM
Mike/A.W.E.
user

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default **Disabling PASM with No Faults or DTC's.**

Moton Suspension Technology was kind enough to donate a double adjustable coilover suspension for our new AWE Tuning 997TT project car. However, one roadblock was holding us up, the PASM. Moton does not make an interactive shock so some trickery was going to need to be done.

If you did not know, once you disconnect the wire at the shock a fault light and annoying beep will appear on the dash. This was totally unacceptable. We wanted to find a way to have our cake and eat it too.

We did not get discouraged. We began contacting all of our sources in the States and Germany trying to find a solution. Nobody seemed to know what to do. Even our best contacts at H&R were unsure.

Last week while at the go-kart track, I ran into one of the dealer technicians from Brandywine Porsche. I have met many of their staff, but not Kevin Hines. He and I began to chat and I told him the problem we were having with the suspension. With great confidence he assured me it could be done somehow. He thought about it for a few days and gave me a call. He told me to stop down on Saturday with the car.

After about an hour of, he did it.

Kevin completed the job just as he said. No fault lights or DTC's! The car is no longer looking for the PASM module. It's as if it does not exist.

Now that this is done, we will schedule our car's Moton install. Finally!

Once again, thanks Kevin. You lived up to your promise.

Some of you are probably wondering why this is such a big deal to us. Well, many of our clients either race or are very serious about track days. Even with PASM, the car will be handicapped in extreme track conditions with the stock spring/shock package.

To get to the next level you will need to replace the dampers. We want to be able to offer upgrades, but without a pesky beep and fault light on the dash.

For those of you interested in the disable procedure, please download this PDF.

http://awe-tuning.com/media/pdf/AWE_...ASM_Delete.pdf

Thanks for reading and have a great day.

Last edited by Mike/A.W.E.; 01-22-2007 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:27 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! Thanks for the writeup, it'll make it easier when the time comes to get my dealer to turn off the idiot light.

Is there a similar writeup for seat removal? The move to a fix backed seat will also throw error codes.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:29 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Nicely done.

I'm not quite sure why there was so much confusion -- the PIWIS is a guided diagnostic tool, so "finding" things can be a bit of a trick, but there was no problem finding how to turn off the thorax airbags (to put in shells seats.)

A brave new world as Porsche finds ever more interesting ways to slow down the after-market tuners ... : )
Old 01-22-2007, 03:30 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Step 1, buy $21,000 Porsche Tool... I am getting one of these tools for this reason Mike (well a number of other reasons too). Some dealers will not diasable some of this functionality.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:36 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by viperbob
Step 1, buy $21,000 Porsche Tool... I am getting one of these tools for this reason Mike (well a number of other reasons too). Some dealers will not diasable some of this functionality.
That's going to be a dent in the credit card.

And yes, there's no way a dealer will disable anything on the books, especially air bags. Just installing the shell seat (which isn't DOT) would be enough to cause them all kinds of liabilities. The repair order is understandably vague in these cases.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:47 PM
frayed
Race Car

Mooty's prior post. I've got to think some dealers would take care of this for you.

"When you have the race seat or seats installed the Dealer with a PIWIS Tester (Porsche Service Tester) can turn off the buckle(s) and airbags. This can be done on all of the 987, 997 and Cayman models. The change is done under the coding section."
Scott Slauson - PCA WebSite - 3/8/2006
As many of you know, when you install aftermarket seats (or even Porsche's GT3 seats) you'll end up with an air bag error when you start the car. You will also get an AWS (Automatic Weight Sensor) fault (you don't seen any errors but the Passenger Seat Airbag Off light in the center console lights up).
Turns out it is a trivial task for your Porsche dealer to set some ECU options to deal with all these faults. All you need to do is ask them to use their diagnostic computer to program the following options:
• Driver Thorax Airbag : No
• Passenger Thorax Airbag : No
• Driver Seatbelt Buckle: No
• Passenger Seatbelt Buckle: No
• AWS : No
No more error codes

WARNING: I DID THIS TO MY CAR. I NO LONGER HAVE AIRBAG OR SEAT BELT WARNING CHIME. I DONT KNOW IF THIS ONLY TURNS OFF THE LIGHT OR TURNS OFF ALL AIR BAGS COMPLETELY. DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:40 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

can you get a weight sensor for the passenger side to retain functionality of the passenger side airbag when installing aftermarket seats? i understand thorax has to be shut off but the other airbags being off would be unacceptable.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:33 PM
krC2S
Racer

i had the airbag warning disabled by my dealer in my 997s just had to sign a waiver
Old 01-22-2007, 07:15 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice...now let's work on the sport button (not the suspension sport button, but the exhaust/engine)and how to keep that in the on position all the time.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:24 PM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

you can keep the exhaust open all the time regardless of sport button by disconnecting the vacuum hose going to the valve on the back of the muffler.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:41 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by doc2s
you can keep the exhaust open all the time regardless of sport button by disconnecting the vacuum hose going to the valve on the back of the muffler.
thats about on a par with stuffing sawdust into the gerarbox to fix a noise problem.

Sometimes you need a quiet car - many tracks have a noise limit that is lower than the legal street limit.

R+C
Old 01-22-2007, 08:41 PM
krC2S
Racer

Originally Posted by doc2s
yes and that's a better option not just to avoid hitting the button but if it's like regular 997s which have rpm based cutoff for noise regulations

meaning it's not on at all rpms even with sport on!!
Old 01-22-2007, 08:54 PM
grussell
Pro

Just unplug this to keep the exhaust valve open all the time.
Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2007, 09:01 PM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
thats about on a par with stuffing sawdust into the gerarbox to fix a noise problem.

Sometimes you need a quiet car - many tracks have a noise limit that is lower than the legal street limit.

R+C

it takes few seconds to reverse to quite when needed. that should have been obvious.

Quick Reply: **Disabling PASM with No Faults or DTC's.**