wow
Old 01-22-2007 | 12:44 AM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

+1
Old 01-22-2007 | 01:31 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

That's Max from rennteam if I'm not mistaken, good driver. Used to have a sweet 996GT3 as well.
Old 01-22-2007 | 01:43 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Show-boating and out of control. Unless having your left hand on the right hand inside of the wheel and waiting for "God to the drive" is your idea of good driving -- the guy had no control in case of things going astray.

Watch a video of Walter "handling" a Carrera GT (or any 911 in the last couple of decades) and you'll see the point, especially in terms of throttle steering and familiarity with input and effect.
Old 01-22-2007 | 02:08 AM
khaug
Instructor

I wish I could drive like this.

You're being sarcastic, right???

The opposite-lock crap near the end of the video is slow, abusive and best left to the Tokyo Drift crowd. It should have no place in a race driver's repertoire. In any event, what the driver does in the video does not appear to be all that well done!

Anyone who drives like this with me as his/her instructor (and it has happened) doesn't get signed off until they show me they can do it right!
Old 01-22-2007 | 02:28 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

i dont know.
seems that he's good at catching the slides, but it is totally unnecessary to upset the car like that.
Old 01-22-2007 | 02:49 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
i dont know.
seems that he's good at catching the slides, but it is totally unnecessary to upset the car like that.
This video popped up weeks ago. The driver is apparently quite competent and was on a "play with the new toy" lap being very respectful of hard objects near the track, but having fun with it. It's not meant to be a "how it's done" video.
I have to confess to reaching for the "TC" button myself (and with no more splendid results...) but it's not the way the job gets done. : )

I didnt' want to include it in my "996 vs 997" comparison, but the 997 does transition to power-on oversteer with an inviting sense of control and progressive, tight response to the helm. The 996 is more old school with a "throw it with the steering wheel and catch it with the throttle" approach. Of course, either car would benefit from better suspension setup and both cars are running so much rubber (for 400hp 911's) that speeds climb to "consequences" levels before the handling really starts to work.
Old 01-22-2007 | 03:15 AM
krC2S
Racer

yeah agree he has good car control and he intentionally wants to slide around rather than drive a fast clean lap ...nothing wrong with that
Old 01-22-2007 | 08:54 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Regardless of his recklessness, those are ***** of steel with those armco's so damn close......unless of course he was driving a car that he wasn't responsible for $$$.
Old 01-22-2007 | 10:05 AM
Glen
Race Car

Sequence at the end was sweet, timing was almost dead on. Hes been through those three before obviously and was throwing some very cool brody catches in rythm. Notice how he releases the car to throw into 2nd slide and where his turn in and track outs are...almost perfect. Not the fast way through, but for what he was doing almost perfect. Notice how he cranks the wheel a bit extra at the end of each turn to toss the tail for entry into the next one. Thanks for sharing, very nice.
Old 01-22-2007 | 11:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Of course, either car would benefit from better suspension setup and both cars are running so much rubber (for 400hp 911's) that speeds climb to "consequences" levels before the handling really starts to work.
agreed, that is my BIGGEST worry with this car. fun and "consequences" are such fine line in this machine.

btw, i do understand your orig comment. i am not disputing it; the driver in question is showboating, rather than doing best lap time.
Old 01-22-2007 | 11:09 AM
frayed
Race Car

I don't know. Looks like great fun and he looked in control.

If you have the skills and can pull off some drifting like that safely, why the hell not? I was at BMWs performance center a while back in Spartanburg; one of the pro drivers that we had as instructors ran me around the track in full-on tokyo still drifting. Great fun!
Old 01-22-2007 | 11:21 AM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

all the armchair sallys...shut up...the guy is obviously in control and having fun.
Old 01-22-2007 | 11:22 AM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by Dro
I wish I could drive like this.

wow
why wish?? seat time, practice and instruction and im sure you could...or at least get as close as your ability allows
Old 01-22-2007 | 11:37 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Glen
Sequence at the end was sweet, timing was almost dead on. Hes been through those three before obviously and was throwing some very cool brody catches in rythm. Notice how he releases the car to throw into 2nd slide and where his turn in and track outs are...almost perfect. Not the fast way through, but for what he was doing almost perfect. Notice how he cranks the wheel a bit extra at the end of each turn to toss the tail for entry into the next one. Thanks for sharing, very nice.
+1

Obviously he wasn't trying to set a lap record but I don't understand you guys bitching about his driving.
I didn't like his shuffle steering (before he started to play) but those last turns where he shows off and slides around show really good car control.

Last edited by Flying Finn; 01-22-2007 at 11:55 AM.

Quick Reply: impressive...