MPSC tires & cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007 | 09:05 AM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Wink

Originally Posted by AlanN

I'm with you Nordy.
I run MPSC's on my 996RS on dry tracks all summer.
As soon as the weather starts to get cold (or if it rains) they come off of the car.
Yes you can "use" them in bad weather, but you CANNOT "drive" them.

NOBLEGT3 I would love to have been at that event to watch, you are obviously a driving God.
I am regularly on track with many excellent drivers and don't know one of them that would by choice use the MSPC's in the conditions you describe but hey, we are a bunch of whining driving pussies over here after all
i did have a choice to use the MPSC in those conditions. but they worked and i didnt crash or die...( sorry to disappoint many here) and again Mike K also used them in the same conditions ( and he definetly aint a driving god)

Last edited by NOBLEGT3; 01-17-2007 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-17-2007 | 09:08 AM
AlanN
Instructor

"use" being the operative word here I think
Old 01-17-2007 | 09:12 AM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by AlanN
"use" being the operative word here I think
absolutely, but they are useable and the pace was not dog slow. they work fine , especially new. obviously im making the extreme case. To tear them off when the weather gets a little cold or to worry and fret about street driving with them is just silly....
Old 01-17-2007 | 11:06 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by NOBLEGT3
absolutely, but they are useable and the pace was not dog slow. they work fine , especially new. obviously im making the extreme case. To tear them off when the weather gets a little cold or to worry and fret about street driving with them is just silly....
Must be a lot of 'just silly' people over here. Quite obviously we are lacking in car control skills.

R+C
Old 01-17-2007 | 11:13 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

I may be one of the idiots but if you have enough $$$ to buy one of these cars and track it, you should have enough sense and money to buy and use different wheels/tires for different conditions - track, street, winter. Do you wear only one pair shoes for everything - gala, marathon, gym, shoveling snow?
Old 01-17-2007 | 11:35 AM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Must be a lot of 'just silly' people over here. Quite obviously we are lacking in car control skills.

R+C

quite obviously.....car control skills arent handed out broadly. just attend any track day or race event to witness that
Old 01-17-2007 | 11:37 AM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by eclou
I may be one of the idiots but if you have enough $$$ to buy one of these cars and track it, you should have enough sense and money to buy and use different wheels/tires for different conditions - track, street, winter. Do you wear only one pair shoes for everything - gala, marathon, gym, shoveling snow?
sure...and i actually had spare rims with race rains but it was warming up and drying out so i didnt want to swap for one hour. the point is all the nancys who cry about how scary the MPSC are should relax. yes they arent great in cold or wet, no they arent my first choice but they work fine if needed.
If there is any snow then forget it!
Old 01-17-2007 | 11:52 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

R+C (if he is the Rennteam RC) used to be a pro Rally driver btw
Old 01-17-2007 | 12:07 PM
yellowmz3
Advanced

Personally, I've leased my GT3, and I don't feel like dropping 4G's on new Wheels and Tires. My preference therefore is take the "hit" in the cold weather and enjoy the warm weather with the same wheels that came with the car. But I will drive it all winter (except snow) with the OEM tires.
Old 01-17-2007 | 12:55 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

R+C learned too late he could have been a pro - he is an amateur.

and I think somebody just called him a Nancy Boy - he looks forward to having a joke with HH about that.

He loved the line 'car control skills aren't handed out broadly'. Please don't tell S+C's friends, they will never let him drive for them again.

There will now be a short intermission for hollow laughter

R+C
Old 01-17-2007 | 09:18 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
R+C learned too late he could have been a pro - he is an amateur.

and I think somebody just called him a Nancy Boy - he looks forward to having a joke with HH about that.

He loved the line 'car control skills aren't handed out broadly'. Please don't tell S+C's friends, they will never let him drive for them again.

There will now be a short intermission for hollow laughter

R+C

and now in english without the start trek code speak please
HH is huge homo? Hairy hump? Hot handjob? Hurley Haywood??
Old 01-17-2007 | 09:24 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by eclou
R+C (if he is the Rennteam RC) used to be a pro Rally driver btw
thats great...and so what
Old 01-17-2007 | 09:32 PM
frayed
Race Car

Funny schit. Noble at a gala? LOLLOL.
Old 01-17-2007 | 09:32 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

My experience with MPSC on cold weather has been dramatic. Not enough grip to feel safe, the car skates too much.

The PS2 has been good, even on cold rainy days, but they're not the best choice.

Ideally, one should carry a set of winter tires, a set of summer tires, a set of dry track tires, a set of wet track tires, a set of autocross tires.

There are just too many reasons not to use MPSC on the street, unless you live in Europe where a car can be driven above 55 mph legally.
Old 01-17-2007 | 09:36 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by frayed
Funny schit. Noble at a gala? LOLLOL.
you are a racist racist man

Quick Reply: MPSC tires & cold weather