997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Risky Topic: Targa GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007 | 11:30 PM
gerkebi
Instructor

That new Chrysler Sebring convertible is nice...why not save 60 or $70K...
Old 01-16-2007 | 12:33 AM
Cytoboy
Advanced

I was feeling a little "frisky" this morning, and we DID have a new shipment of Xylene yesterday. Still I would enjoy such a combination for 95% of the driving that I do with my ONLY car, and daily driver, my 06 C2S. I do appreciate the comments posted on this thread though, and thanks!
Old 01-16-2007 | 12:36 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

They will never build a Targa GT3, they have a hard enough time selling the Targas they already make. Best bet is a X51 equipped targa 4S.
Old 01-16-2007 | 02:23 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray S
Take one of the purist cars Porsches got and mate it with the heaviest NA 911 out there (worse still it's heavy on the roof)???

Why in the world would you want to do that? Just get a Targa w/the X51 and leave the GT3 alone!
its genious. you have the standard GT3 targa and then the RoW GT3 RS Targa with lexan roof. even lighter than regular RS.
US version of course gets same glass for safety, only difference is a RS badge on the wider butt.
Old 01-16-2007 | 03:05 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

If you think beyond the sacred cow of the GT3, I think this thread illustrates the potential demand for people willing to pay well above the X51 pack price to get a GT3 engine in their ride of choice. I don't see the downside and I don't believe this would somehow cannibalise GT3 sales. And what if it does; so what; the customer still bought a 911 with a sticker well over $100K.
Old 01-16-2007 | 03:58 AM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Mice & Men

If you give a mouse a cookie, he's gonna want a glass of milk. Same holds true for mice, sunroofs and convertibles.
Old 01-16-2007 | 08:41 AM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

I thought it was "Give a mouse a cookie and you feed him for a day- teach a mouse to make cookies and you feed him for a lifetime."
Old 01-16-2007 | 09:08 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
If you think beyond the sacred cow of the GT3, I think this thread illustrates the potential demand for people willing to pay well above the X51 pack price to get a GT3 engine in their ride of choice. I don't see the downside and I don't believe this would somehow cannibalise GT3 sales. And what if it does; so what; the customer still bought a 911 with a sticker well over $100K.
To those, Porsche could offer an "GT3 option" (= any Carrera model with GT3 drivetrain) instead of screwing up the GT3.

Problem is "we" (enthusiast) who think sportscar should be a sportscar, and just a sportscar, not pimped out almost a sportscar would be left out with nothing.
To me, at least, and I mean really AT LEAST (before I used to think all of them but now AT LEAST) the sportiests model in Porsche's line-up should be built with the principle "If it doesn't make it go, turn or brake faster, it doesn't need to be there".

And everyone who wants to reply by saying it would sell better if it had sunroof, people want this, that and the other, I repeat: **** all the others as much as you want, I've given up to Porsche pimps, but AT LEAST the sportiest model needs to be unpimped. I know it isn't but please no more pimpin'.
Old 01-16-2007 | 09:23 AM
morganb
Instructor

Default Back Seats

Why not give the people what they want. As long as you can get your car with what you want what is wrong with someone else having a different.
I would want a back seat as my Porsches often double as second cars. Sunroof would be nice but I could take it or leave it. As long as you can option what you want (or don't want) then what is the difference?
Old 01-16-2007 | 11:23 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes give people what they want...how about what enthusiasts want?

None of that pimp bull**** so readily found in cars and sadly in sportscars today. If you want a targa, cab or sunroof'd car that's fine, it shouldn't come at the expense of the enthusiast.

Funny enough it's the enthusiasts "image" (for lack of a better word) that most pimps seek. It's the association with a badass, no excuses, no apologies car that they seek. "Oh the GT3 is a badass, now can I get that with rear seats, sat nav, sunroof and now targa?" The answer IMHO should be NO.

A few months ago while at my dealer a gentleman stopped in and asked me what I thought. He never tracks his cars, only worries about going fast in a straight line and uses the car on a daily basis, so he needs all of the comfort features. He asked me what I would recommend. I said a Turbo. His answer, "that's what I thought, but it's just that the GT3 is such a badass...", he turned to my sales guy and said "could I soften the suspension of a GT3 and could I add sound deadening to make it ride smoother and more quiet?? And can I add Bluetooth to it?" Before my sales guy said anything, I said " yes, it's called a 997S X51 with PCM, PSE, Short Shift Kit and an aerokit!"

Go call Ferrari ask them to make a cab 360CS or a targa 430CS or an Enzo with automatic parallel park assist... :rolleyes"
Old 01-16-2007 | 12:47 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by morganb
Why not give the people what they want. As long as you can get your car with what you want what is wrong with someone else having a different.
I would want a back seat as my Porsches often double as second cars. Sunroof would be nice but I could take it or leave it. As long as you can option what you want (or don't want) then what is the difference?
Here we go, here we friggin' go...

I agree with you, why not give people what they want?

I want a GT3 WITHOUT the friggin' sunroof but guess what? So many pimps cried for a GT3 with the sunroof, now EVERYONE in US is now stuck with it.

You say want the rear seats, other guy wants a Targa GT3, before you know it, all GT3s come with sunroof, rear seats, Targa etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

What do we have left then? A ****ed up GT3.
Old 01-16-2007 | 12:48 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJSpeed

None of that pimp bull**** so readily found in cars and sadly in sportscars today. If you want a targa, cab or sunroof'd car that's fine, it shouldn't come at the expense of the enthusiast.

Funny enough it's the enthusiasts "image" (for lack of a better word) that most pimps seek. It's the association with a badass, no excuses, no apologies car that they seek. "Oh the GT3 is a badass, now can I get that with rear seats, sat nav, sunroof and now targa?" The answer IMHO should be NO.

A few months ago while at my dealer a gentleman stopped in and asked me what I thought. He never tracks his cars, only worries about going fast in a straight line and uses the car on a daily basis, so he needs all of the comfort features. He asked me what I would recommend. I said a Turbo. His answer, "that's what I thought, but it's just that the GT3 is such a badass...", he turned to my sales guy and said "could I soften the suspension of a GT3 and could I add sound deadening to make it ride smoother and more quiet?? And can I add Bluetooth to it?" Before my sales guy said anything, I said " yes, it's called a 997S X51 with PCM, PSE, Short Shift Kit and an aerokit!"

Go call Ferrari ask them to make a cab 360CS or a targa 430CS or an Enzo with automatic parallel park assist... :rolleyes"
Bigass +1
Old 01-16-2007 | 03:41 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Flying Finn

I want a GT3 WITHOUT the friggin' sunroof but guess what? So many pimps cried for a GT3 with the sunroof, now EVERYONE in US is now stuck with it...
My point exactly!
Old 01-16-2007 | 03:54 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn

I want a GT3 WITHOUT the friggin' sunroof but guess what? So many pimps cried for a GT3 with the sunroof, now EVERYONE in US is now stuck with it.

You say want the rear seats, other guy wants a Targa GT3, before you know it, all GT3s come with sunroof, rear seats, Targa etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

What do we have left then? A ****ed up GT3.
given the number of variations you wouldn't think it would be a problem to build sunroof-less GT3s.

you should be able to plug and play whatever damn components you want in this price range.
Old 01-16-2007 | 04:08 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJSpeed

+2

Don't mess with the GT3. To those that want to change it, just order up the 997 of your choice with an Aerokit. Slap some GT3 wheels and a GT3 badge on the back of your lux spec 997 and be on your way. You'll fool 90% of the people on the road. I suspect that's what you're really interested in any way.

Quick Reply: Risky Topic: Targa GT3?