Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

A (not so) crazy idea for incoming GT3s

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 12:32 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A (not so) crazy idea for incoming GT3s

I was thinking about planned mods, and am a stickler for install qulaity and attention to detail. Not crazy about the sunroof, I'll probably have it removed. I'll also install a roll bar.

So, I talked to RUF about their integrated roll cage and about a sunroof-ectomy. The cage has to be done at Germany, so you'd have to take delivery of your 3 in Germany and get it to RUF, or some variation on that theme.

Pricing is 12.5k euros for the integrated cage (looks factory and beautifully done with all the custom panels for integration) and 2.5k euros for the sunroofectomy, utilizing the factory non-sunroof panel.

Well, I didn't expect it to be cheap, but wouldn't it be sweet?
Old 01-12-2007, 12:46 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The results are highly desirable, but obviously the cost / benefit ratio is not advantageous.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:17 PM
jimhuber
Racer

Originally Posted by lawjdc
The results are highly desirable, but obviously the cost / benefit ratio is not advantageous.
IMHO, you would get much more and spend less if you drive your 3 for a year or less and flip it for a RS. I think you want a RS and you know that the value of the mod is value to you and not the resale. I did the math and it is close.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:33 PM
frayed
Race Car

Yeah, cost/benefit is not advantageous. Just sort of thinking out loud.

Jim, comparing apples to apples, the RS doesn't have an integrated cage so your comparison is completely flawed. A sunroofectomy in the US by a good body shop will be on the order of 2k, which doesn't get close to the price of the RS. If I didn't know better, it seems that you have a one track mind: boistering about your incoming RS and its value for some unknown reason.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:49 PM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Have you looked around for a used RGT? Han's at Ruf in Dallas, or Alois might be able to track one down for you. I picked up one in March 06 at Ruf in Dallas and the integrated rollbar and the way it is put together is pretty special. It certainly drives and looks different than my GT3. My Ruf RGT 285 conservative HP, Ruf vin car.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:15 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 876 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Pricing is 12.5k euros for the integrated cage (looks factory and beautifully done with all the custom panels for integration) and 2.5k euros for the sunroofectomy, utilizing the factory non-sunroof panel.
Don't forget to add the $4k Porsche charge for the Euro delivery and the insurance costs while the aircraft is being worked on ($$). Good news is that you'd actually get the VAT back anyway, so that could reduce the cage and sunroofectomy costs. I like your cage idea and given the RUF pedigree, you'd get a lot of value out of it but not the $12.5k so you'd have to be a true enthusiast.

Not sure you'd get any value for plugging the hole - period.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:45 PM
jimhuber
Racer

Yeah, cost/benefit is not advantageous. Just sort of thinking out loud.

Jim, comparing apples to apples, the RS doesn't have an integrated cage so your comparison is completely flawed. A sunroofectomy in the US by a good body shop will be on the order of 2k, which doesn't get close to the price of the RS. If I didn't know better, it seems that you have a one track mind: boistering about your incoming RS and its value for some unknown reason.
You know I think about what you have to say and I offer my thoughts on the cage and the sunroof. I was not thinking about my car or the $. You need to get over this thing and move on. I am not shooting the arrows you are. So you will have a very trick GT 3 with those mods. I am also a freek about quailty install. In my line of work the install is all of the $$$. I know you are thinking out loud I do the same thing. Like, the blower, I was thinking out loud, and yes it was a bad thought.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:51 PM
frayed
Race Car

I'll just settle for a sunroofectomy with factory parts. But man look how badazz the integration is.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:03 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Just buy a Ruf - 'Porsche the way Porsche would like to build them'
Old 01-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Just buy a Ruf - 'Porsche the way Porsche would like to build them'
+1
Old 01-12-2007, 04:51 PM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

Jeff

Maybe you should let Nordschleife find you an RGT. I'll bet he knows a more than a few that could be brought into the good ol US of A. Just think the autobahn, the nice out of the way places to play, lunch with Alois, more autobahn, looking at four or five RUF's to find which one you like, more atuobahn, a great German keg or two, and of course more autobahn.

Schedule some international law eduction classes while you are there and the trip is a business expense.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:13 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by pranqster
Jeff

Maybe you should let Nordschleife find you an RGT. I'll bet he knows a more than a few that could be brought into the good ol US of A. Just think the autobahn, the nice out of the way places to play, lunch with Alois, more autobahn, looking at four or five RUF's to find which one you like, more atuobahn, a great German keg or two, and of course more autobahn.

Schedule some international law eduction classes while you are there and the trip is a business expense.
That sounds awesome. I'm seriously thinking about that. RUFly, what will an RGT cost? Any knowledge on problems with getting it registered here in the US? Maybe wait till the 997 based RGTs come out. . . hmmm
Old 01-12-2007, 05:19 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Jeff
The Ruf version of the GT3 is available today. I am calling Alois on Monday about a car for my girlfriend, there are a lot of possibilities.

R+C
PS send me a message and we can email each other
Old 01-12-2007, 07:47 PM
pranqster
Rennlist Member

A used one with less than 10,000 miles, PPI'd properly will already have some depreciation absorbed, and the search of course is half the fun. Maybe find Jeff (Icon) one also.

Then I would have some RUF naturally aspirated friends to play with.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I was thinking about planned mods, and am a stickler for install qulaity and attention to detail.

So, I talked to RUF about their integrated roll cage and about a sunroof-ectomy. The cage has to be done at Germany, so you'd have to take delivery of your 3 in Germany and get it to RUF, or some variation on that theme.

Well, I didn't expect it to be cheap, but wouldn't it be sweet?
You NEED it.

Quick Reply: A (not so) crazy idea for incoming GT3s