Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Satellite radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 09:29 PM
navigator
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Satellite radio

Wondering what the best way to get satellite radio in my new GT3 is. I have PCM. Anyone done this yet?
Old 01-12-2007, 08:40 AM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two options: buy OEM Cayenne sat radio hardware and integrate with your PCM set up. Approx cost $2K installed...full functionality (displays, etc) through OEM radio. Second option (which I chose) is an FM modulated set up as pictured below (pic borrowed from another rennlister). Display snugly mounts without any hardware. Antenna mounts at base of A pillar inside vehicle. Sound quality is a tick or two below factory radio (I've got the Bose) but it's easily an 80% solution. Cost $300 (includes unit and installation).
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2007, 09:27 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frino
option (which I chose) is an FM modulated set up . Sound quality is a tick or two below factory radio (I've got the Bose) but it's easily an 80% solution. Cost $300 (includes unit and installation).
Doesn't that rather defeat one of the KPIs about Sat Radio - Sound Quality? Or am I misinformed?

Radio in Europe is surprisingly good, I receive acceptable stereo, the tuner automatically changes frequencies as the station broadcasting the highest quality signal changes and the broadcast traffic alerts work with the navigation system in addition to the alerts delivered by SMS, and the broadcaster can choose to send rolling data to my display.

R+C
Old 01-12-2007, 09:58 AM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Nordschleife]Doesn't that rather defeat one of the KPIs about Sat Radio - Sound Quality? Or am I misinformed?

Yes, digital signal will deliver better sound quality. Here in the states the problem is an over abundance of commercials on conventional radio. While I am sure there is a high def (digital) radio product out there that will work with our P-Cars, I would still take analog sat radio all day long just to get access to commercial free programming.

We wouldn't be having this discussion if Porsche hadn't lagged the market by two years in terms of offering satellite radio across its product line.

Last edited by Frino; 01-12-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:11 AM
BG
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XM Radio

Didn't Porsche recently make a deal with XM for all models. Hopefully it will be a plug and play module for all 997 models for allot less than $2000.

Quick Reply: Satellite radio