Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

need help on ordering specs!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 01:53 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
Default need help on ordering specs!

picked all my options today however I wanted your opinions on couple of them.

first some background info. purpose of this car is partial daily driver and track toy. expecting to track as often as I can afford it both timewise and $$$ for fees/tires/gas/oil. Probably translates to ~12-16 track days in a year. I have 5 years experience with track schools, run in advanced group, and I will try my best to take it "easy" considering this is the most expensive car i ever owned.

1. PCCB's - Been beaten to death I know. I specced them. I just feel that I will regret not getting them. I figure if I really don't like them I could sell them for the standard brakes or swap to motorsport steel rotors. I would really like to run 18" track wheels but not sure any 18's will fit over these monsters.

2. Phone Module for PCM - this is for the 90% of the time this car is a street car and I plan on driving it to work often. I'm thinking of dropping this feature though. seems like i either have to figure out how to copy and use a duplicate SIM or pay for an extra phone line just for the car. would rather keep to one number and not mess with forwarding calls.

Okay, have at it! All comments appreciated and also thanks to so many of the people on this board for all the help so far!

other options i have and sure about
xenons - just can't go back to halogens
pcm - i'm horrible at directions, nav is a must
wart - i actually like it....

-jim
Old 01-11-2007, 06:54 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 876 Likes on 538 Posts

Jim,

from what I understand, you can simply take your SIM card out of your mobile phone and put it into the car phone module. Your existing phone number and stored phone book (if saved on the SIM card and not the phone itself) would transfer to the car so threre is no need to pay for an extra phone line for the car. I thought the price for this option is a bit excessive so I'll rather use my handsfree kit.

I think a car with this price tag should have the Xenons. Same with the PCM. I like the wart as well.

You might want to check out the colored belts to match your brake caliper color to break up the interior a bit. I have now seen the colored instrument dials in person and would advise against them as they are tough to see in daylight. You might also consider the full leather, which gives you the stiching around the instrument panel and more alcantara. Note that the stiching is in grey, so it is already "deviated".

Good luck!
Old 01-11-2007, 07:57 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim

Duplicate SIM cards is a no brainer - don't sweat it, Joest Do It (as Reinhold says) - believe it or not, the separate handset is worth having, there ARE times when you do not wish to be overheard.

I am in and out of a lot of different cars, I prefer cars with bluetooth capability. In the S8 I can see everything that is on my SIM card without taking it out of my pocket.

By all means order the PCCBs. However, it will be more cost effective to also buy a set of alternative brakes - rotors, callipers, steel lines and Castrol brake fluid. Top of the line brakes based upon iron rotor technology will give you the best bang per buck, particularly if you are using the brakes fairly seriously on your track days.

Probably 6 piston monobloc callipers in front will be most effective if you drive high speed courses, low speed tracks are not as hard on the brakes, compare the size and cost of the pads, against other alternatives, also select rotors which have plenty of meat in them and consider fitting the Cup air scoops when at the track.

Under the right 18 inch rims you can fit 380mm rotors and 6 piston callipers.

You can offset the weight of iron rotors, to a degree, by using Ti wheel bolts.

R+C
Old 01-11-2007, 09:43 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

^+1. Enjoy your ride!! BTW are you getting an RS or GT3? Oh and what colour will it be?
Old 01-11-2007, 01:14 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Jim,

from what I understand, you can simply take your SIM card out of your mobile phone and put it into the car phone module. Your existing phone number and stored phone book (if saved on the SIM card and not the phone itself) would transfer to the car so threre is no need to pay for an extra phone line for the car. I thought the price for this option is a bit excessive so I'll rather use my handsfree kit.

I think a car with this price tag should have the Xenons. Same with the PCM. I like the wart as well.

You might want to check out the colored belts to match your brake caliper color to break up the interior a bit. I have now seen the colored instrument dials in person and would advise against them as they are tough to see in daylight. You might also consider the full leather, which gives you the stiching around the instrument panel and more alcantara. Note that the stiching is in grey, so it is already "deviated".

Good luck!
don't like having to take apart a phone to get to the sim card. I think I am just going with handsfree and save the $900.

full leather was the other option i was considering but ultimately decided the car looks good enough w/o it.

pccb's i'm still on the fence though. 8800 could get you some nice track wheels which would have the same effect on reduced unsprung weight. probably enough left over for the roll bar.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:16 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
^+1. Enjoy your ride!! BTW are you getting an RS or GT3? Oh and what colour will it be?
plain 'ol GT3 for me. ubiquitous white. just love the look. my first porsche and first white car. on a side note Rusnak in Thousand Oaks had 2 allocations for RS and both were sold at MSRP along with all the other cars they sell. kudos to them!
Old 01-11-2007, 02:11 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Cool my first P-car was a white 996 GT3...you'll love it!
Old 01-11-2007, 02:20 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up specing pccbs, and I've probably been one of the most vocal ones on here about their pros and cons (my intent was to get the facts out in the open on their benefits and limitations).

I justified them in my own odd way, but saying, well the RS cost 20k more in orange paint, so in settling for the 3, I'll roll the dice on ceramics. LOL.

Quick Reply: need help on ordering specs!