HT with PCCB Brakes, HOW!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by crispenigl
Exactly! How have you overcome this? Can I ask the dealer to adjust the pedal settings somehow?
In early cars (pre 996) adjustment is very simple, I can't believe there are no way to adjust it?
Old 01-10-2007, 08:13 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyC
+1^ Roll the upper right half of the right foot to blip the gas pedal. HT is the only way I drive now on the street...and have been doing so for 2 years on PCCBs. No issues. If you screw on an after market pedal such as Ruf on top of the gas pedal it'll help reduce the height diff between brake and gas for street use.
"Rolling" in true threshold braking situations for most will not cut it....too much pressure would be lost in the translation resulting in a loss of brake zone real estate (really fast)...gotta develope that heel rotation to afford maximum brake pressure and rev matching ability, else the wheel speed differential will result in all sorts of ugliness in the brake zones. For recreational street applications, I find that "rolling" works just fine for rev matching
Old 01-10-2007, 09:01 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by leif997
"Rolling" in true threshold braking situations for most will not cut it....too much pressure would be lost in the translation resulting in a loss of brake zone real estate (really fast)...gotta develope that heel rotation to afford maximum brake pressure and rev matching ability, else the wheel speed differential will result in all sorts of ugliness in the brake zones. For recreational street applications, I find that "rolling" works just fine for rev matching
Agreed. "Rolling" is for 5/10ths or 8/10ths or whatever you want to call it. We're not on one of the racing forums, so I assume we're talking about amateurs (like me) and track days or fun country road driving. What I have noticed watching races on TV, the braking zone is getting later and shorter where the down shifts used to be paced at say one second intervals over the space of five seconds, now they're banged together in the last two seconds as the driver gets the right gear to accelerate past the apex and minimises any unsettling effects during trail-braking. I don't think there's any need for me to elaborate, but the days of "brrrmmm .... brrrrrmmmm ... brrrmmmmm" are gone and now we have "brp, brp brp" following closely by "bwaaaaahh" as the driver, more like a motorcycle rider, compresses the tasks into so much less time and extends only the deceleration part of the work deeper and deeper, literally still adjusting the car (or bike) _at_ the apex as power snaps on. Watching T4 at Laguna during MotoGP is a perfect learning exercise in late, late trail-braking with power through the apex. And you know they were steering with the throttle because the front wheel is off the ground and the rear wheel is smoking.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:39 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Watching T4 at Laguna during MotoGP is a perfect learning exercise in late, late trail-braking with power through the apex. And you know they were steering with the throttle because the front wheel is off the ground and the rear wheel is smoking.

Isn't that some insane stuff to watch? so much talent......I love it
Old 01-10-2007, 09:55 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by leif997
I hear what you're saying and Lord knows how hard I've tried to learn blipping the gas pedal with my heel, but for the life of me I just can't . It's like contorting the foot in an unnatural position and just can't seem to get any consistency. Would certainly appreciate any helpful techniques. Cheers!
Old 01-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by crispenigl
How do you heel toe with PCCB Brakes? I am probably just too used to the steel brakes, but I can not heel toe at all with PCCB because they engage so much faster.

Help.

At 613 miles and can not wait to go past 6k rpms.

Here is my rim after driving on sunset in Beverly hills the other night

Greg

ps. I am going to renew my RL membership tomorrow. I didnt know it elapsed.
Please post before/after on the repair; the cost etc. I imagine we'll all end up damaging these 19's sooner or later. I watched a 360 Challenge Stradale blow the rim off a wheel at Laguna on Sunday just by running too tight and dropping off the berm to the inside where there's a big "turtle back" to discourage SM drivers from "shortening" the course. The driver did a brilliant job of catching the resulting tank-slapper.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:14 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adam,

You know that driver is a "pro" with quite the pedigree, so lesser mortals should never tread there!
Old 01-10-2007, 10:20 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check this video out

http://www.coochas.com/porsche/Resources/BMIchap6.wmv

In my M3, I can heel toe like the dude in the NSX. In the 997S it's more like the deliberate heel toe action in the 350Z and the 911's, but with the added sensitivity of the pccbs, even tougher.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:24 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BobbyC
I hear what you're saying and Lord knows how hard I've tried to learn blipping the gas pedal with my heel, but for the life of me I just can't . It's like contorting the foot in an unnatural position and just can't seem to get any consistency. Would certainly appreciate any helpful techniques. Cheers!
the pedal positions in a stock 996 or 997 are nice and close for the rolling technique described before. as for the heel application on the gas pedal; I would start by putting on your driving shoes ( if any) and begin by just sitting in your car (ignition off) and get used to the concept of pressing on the right aspect of the brake with the ball of your foot and your foot angled appropriately...let your leg/foot get used to the proprioception it is recieving and adjust your seat back/forward as indicated. once this feels rediculously unnatural, you are ready for the gas pedal depression. practice.

then, as long as the neighbors are not home, turn the car on and practice again and get used to bringing the rpms up while depressing the brake...its just going to take practice. Then find a nice stretch of track or back road and practice more. good luck
Old 01-11-2007, 03:49 AM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Please post before/after on the repair; the cost etc. I imagine we'll all end up damaging these 19's sooner or later. I watched a 360 Challenge Stradale blow the rim off a wheel at Laguna on Sunday just by running too tight and dropping off the berm to the inside where there's a big "turtle back" to discourage SM drivers from "shortening" the course. The driver did a brilliant job of catching the resulting tank-slapper.

I am going to hopefully only pay $250 as that is my deductible and get the insurance company to take care of the rest for the 2 rims.

They should do it right?

Going to call it an accident, all though I was no where near the curb. Really Beverly Hills the city should pay, year right. I could not believe sunset has this issue..

Next question is when do the rims arrive?

Quick Reply: HT with PCCB Brakes, HOW!?