Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 RS Allocation on eBay

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 06:29 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts
Default GT3 RS Allocation on eBay

Knew this day would come -- check out item 170061617705 on eBay. [No affiliation, but just happened to notice the listing.] I wonder if the dealer, The Collection, is aware of, and has consented to, the listing? Appears so, because the listing says that payment (other than eBay "premium") is to be paid directly to dealer. Wow.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:35 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What exactly is this additional charge?????

Dealer Handling and Preparation Fee of $487.00

Is that fee common in FL???

No such fee in CA.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Spark84
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be pissed if I were the dealer. Curious what his "reserve" is. . .
Old 01-09-2007, 07:05 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Interloper from the 993 forum here...this caught my attention. Not sure he can do this as the dealer sales contract is with him...not a third party. Ultimately he is responsible for it...but as a bidder, since I have no contract with the dealer what is to stop him from jacking up the price to get delivery and the contract assigned to me. I think the only way this works is that the contract owner has to take delivery and then re-sale to a third party.

I can't believe the dealer is in on it.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:23 PM
grussell
Pro

With the profits they think they can make we are going to see where all of our 229 really went. I really hope Porsche makes more so all of the speculators get stuck with cars they really didn't want or could afford.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:38 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

As to the sales tax ques, see the Q&A in the listing at the bottom (someone had asked the same question of the seller/lister) -- it appears that delivery is to be taken directly from the dealer, and if eBay high bidder lives in a different state, no Florida sales tax (presumably a use tax is due in the home state of buyer?). This is unbelievable -- I just can't believe the dealer is in on this.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:42 PM
grussell
Pro

Stealer is in on it. I talked to a broker that claims to have 4 - 5 cars that can be spec'd through the dealer if you give him 30k.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:58 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

So, it appears, is Rennlist, the market gouging I mean.

The McKenna cars are listed in our "classified" section and these are for sale for over MSRP! Are they not?

Should they be banned for trying to Gouge the membership? It doesn't appear that they are here for mutual benefit (given the sentiments).

Should Rennlist encourage such behavior by providing a forum to McKenna?
Old 01-09-2007, 08:15 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

If the dealers are really involved (e.g., with the eBay listing and/or Rennlist classifieds), what I find surprising is that PCNA permits this type of activity. I would suspect that the agreements between PCNA and the dealers would prohibit this type of activity, at least with respect to new cars. Or, if so, is the trick here that the cars are sold as "used" so as to get around any such prohibition? Seems to me that any reputable dealer would not engage in any such activity or permit any speculator to do the same.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:24 PM
grussell
Pro

Several of the dealers I have spoken to have informed me that they dumped their waiting list and returned deposits. The owners decided that they will spec the cars and sell them at market value. I have this in writing from several dealers along with a $5,000.00 check (my returned deposit).

I have a feeling there will be quite a few cars available when they start to hit our shores. I am begining to wonder how many people really want one for 160k especially when it is not spec'd to their liking and when they can have a GT3 for 115k. Only time will tell. I have decided not to buy one over MSRP and to wait and see what happens. For now I will enjoy my GT3!
Old 01-09-2007, 08:50 PM
BK
Advanced

Originally Posted by grussell
Several of the dealers I have spoken to have informed me that they dumped their waiting list and returned deposits. The owners decided that they will spec the cars and sell them at market value. I have this in writing from several dealers along with a $5,000.00 check (my returned deposit).

I have a feeling there will be quite a few cars available when they start to hit our shores. I am begining to wonder how many people really want one for 160k especially when it is not spec'd to their liking and when they can have a GT3 for 115k. Only time will tell. I have decided not to buy one over MSRP and to wait and see what happens. For now I will enjoy my GT3!
Wow, that is truly an awful thing for the dealer to do. It might almost be worth arguing that the deposit represented part of a binding contract to provide you with a GT3RS to spec as you chose and at MSRP (if that was the original intent). There would be no way in heck I would ever spend a dime in a dealership that did that. Man I'd be pissed about that...

As for whether or not PCNA can do anything about dealers who, in general, decide to charge a premium...I'm not sure that they can without being accused of price fixing?

But to take a deposit with the promise of providing a slot at MSRP, and then send it back, especially this late in the game (i.e. just before the cars start hitting the states) and you no longer having a chance to get a spot elsewhere...

BLK
Old 01-09-2007, 10:26 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's what I don't get. Say a dealer bumps off real customers who had a deposit so that he can markup the RS and make a few bucks. Further say the dealer had 4 allocations (and I'm being generous here) and marked up each by $25k...so he makes an extra $100k in total.

But now he's pissed off a few good customers, who in turn not only will refuse to shop again at this dealer but also spread the word about said dealer's modus operandi. Once such infamy begins to spread...especially on forums like this...the dealer's business with the enthusiast community is then essentially toast. All for greed of a mere $100K?

Forget, for the moment, the ethical components of this argument...it's just not good business. Or maybe it's just me who doesn't get it!
Old 01-09-2007, 10:43 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Talking How about....

Originally Posted by BobbyC
Forget, for the moment, the ethical components of this argument...it's just not good business. Or maybe it's just me who doesn't get it!
Bobby,
What if the dealer would split the markup $ with the one who is on the waiting list?
Old 01-09-2007, 10:51 PM
krC2S
Racer

doesn't have to be a scam that dealer participates..we have heard of worse!

btw when allocations came out a local dealer told me that the #1 guy on his list (includes others) would sell his allocation and the car (only one for dealer) would be sold at MSRP
Old 01-09-2007, 10:57 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by krC2S
doesn't have to be a scam that dealer participates..we have heard of worse!

btw when allocations came out a local dealer told me that the #1 guy on his list (includes others) would sell his allocation and the car (only one for dealer) would be sold at MSRP
didnt say it HAD to be a scam, just that wondered if it may be a scam!?
and only posted that because of information i have heard about this dealer.

Quick Reply: GT3 RS Allocation on eBay