Need help configuring my GT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 11:15 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rzundel
450 PCCB 8,840
Gotta make sure you get those pretty rotors!
Old 12-30-2006, 11:42 AM
Duane in Miami
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it looks geat, I would lose the adaptive sport seats as you will most likely end up putting the cgt seats in eventually. That is very close to how my car is except I have a lot more carbon.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:59 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

On my car my only options I'm choosing are

guards red/black +alcantara interior
pccb
black wheels
xenons (and washer jets painted)
fire extinguisher
red belts, red gauges
euro delivery
- probably switch into the c/f cgt seats- no need for adaptives.
- i'd rather do full leather than full carbon fiber- i've seen the way it tends to pull off the surfaces after a few years and think leather would be better in the long haul.
-I'm looking forward to the alcantara, very cool

that's how i'll spend my money, but everyone's different.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:52 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
On my car my only options I'm choosing are

guards red/black +alcantara interior
pccb
black wheels
xenons (and washer jets painted)
fire extinguisher
red belts, red gauges
euro delivery
- probably switch into the c/f cgt seats- no need for adaptives.
- i'd rather do full leather than full carbon fiber- i've seen the way it tends to pull off the surfaces after a few years and think leather would be better in the long haul.
-I'm looking forward to the alcantara, very cool

that's how i'll spend my money, but everyone's different.
The CF stuff is a better quality -- it's not all stick-on stuff, but it could still deteriorate, I guess. CF and leather are complementary, not mutually exclusive. CF door sills look a lot better than the plastic. A lot. Painted cabin trim might be okay, but in a black car, what's the point?

The seats are "like" the CGT, but they're the GT3 seat. And look like being US$6K-ish per pair as an after-market accessory. In terms of ordering the car from factory menu options, the stock sport seats are very good. Having driven with the adaptive seats in a Carrera, I'd not pay for them.

I'd budget on an alignment. Comments about "tracking" (aka tram-lining) relate mostly to alignment, especially toe-out or excessive camber for the street. Based on 996 experience, there's no real chance the 997 GT3 will arrive with correct (much less "good") alignment settings.

As for upgrades, consider going straight to threaded rear toe arms and at least take a look at the RS split wheel carrier. I imagine people tracking the GT3 will be trying to get the RS geometry in the rear. Shouldn't be impossible.

If you're buying aftermarket wheels, keep in mind the factory wheel specs reflect a 5mm or 10mm spacer, which you could do without.

Having seen red gauges on a 997 (and pics of the "very red" 997 GT3) I'd not get coloured gauges.

Fire-ex is cheap, cool and easily switched over to the passenger side.

Painted nipples might sound 'Vegas, but it's the only solution, especially for a black car. On white, they're not so bad.

Full leather doesn't remove any of the Alcantara.

I think PCM looks better than the "sea of plastic switches" if the car has only the conventional head unit. Next time, I think I'll either go with PCM or figure out how to do a console delete in the 997 GT3.

I have some pics of the cabin of my car, I'll email if you like (too tedious to reduce the file sizes ... Rennlist needs to be reconfigured to take big files or partner with a file-sharing site.)

The upgraded audio system is still pretty ordinary. If you're enjoying music (and at least you'll hear it in the 997 ... I know Moot would rather have a megaphone through the firewall ...) you'll be thinking about taking the audio from the factory head and piping it through new amps and speakers. At least you'll have the extra couple of factory locations set up in the car if you go with the upgraded audio and it's relatively inexpensive. Just don't expect anything from Porsche when it comes to audio or nav technology.

The aluminum foot rest is probably worthwhile. I see the RS has nice pedals, but I haven't seen a close-up.

This thread has tempted me back to the configurator. Maybe the one on the UK site has more stuff to consider.

I suggest someone starts a group-buy thread on a pair of 997 GT3 seats. Let'sl start with $4000 for a pair, tax and freight paid. Maybe if we can get a dozen orders to Viper Bob ... ?
Old 12-30-2006, 12:55 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJones
I've Adaptive seats in my "S"
For my GT3 I opted for regular as I never really fiddled with the bladders, and at PDE the manual Sport seats were just fine.
I agree.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:10 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Here's video of black with black wheels and polished rims.
All the accessories on this car look good. Especially the seat cover.

Click here to see Video
Old 12-30-2006, 02:21 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I have some pics of the cabin of my car, I'll email if you like (too tedious to reduce the file sizes ... Rennlist needs to be reconfigured to take big files or partner with a file-sharing site.)
Neither is likely. E-mail me the photos and I'll resize them, host them, and post them here. nkhalidi-at-yahoo.com.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:26 PM
rzundel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Full leather doesn't remove any of the Alcantara.

?
What does this mean?? Are you saying that I pay for full leather and still get Alcantara in the seats?? Are you kidding??

Please send your photo's to my email at r.zundel@verizon.net

Thanks.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:01 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

What does this mean?? Are you saying that I pay for full leather and still get Alcantara in the seats?? Are you kidding??
That's correct. You actually get more Alcantara in the door panels as well.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:27 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
That's correct. You actually get more Alcantara in the door panels as well.
I was wondering about that. I thought I just didn't pay attention to the doors on the first car I saw (without the leather option.)
Old 12-30-2006, 05:40 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Please send your photo's to my email at r.zundel@verizon.net

Thanks.

I'll email the pics in a sec. I think I can publish them using Picassa. Worth doing -- I'm forever leaving out pics and videos because I can't post them to Rennlist.

I'm not kidding about the Alcantara. $3K in leather goes to the dash and trim, but doesn't replace the Alcantara steering wheel, etc.

I know you can option more leather and less Alcantara (can we just start calling it suede? : ) but I didn't want to lose any of the "GT3-ness" just remove some of the "Boxster-ness" ...
Old 12-30-2006, 10:34 PM
rzundel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll email the pics in a sec. I think I can publish them using Picassa. Worth doing -- I'm forever leaving out pics and videos because I can't post them to Rennlist.

I'm not kidding about the Alcantara. $3K in leather goes to the dash and trim, but doesn't replace the Alcantara steering wheel, etc.

I know you can option more leather and less Alcantara (can we just start calling it suede? : ) but I didn't want to lose any of the "GT3-ness" just remove some of the "Boxster-ness" ...

Still looking for your email! Just so I understand correctly, when I order the full leather option, where do I get Alcantara in the car? Thanks.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:32 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Still looking for your email! Just so I understand correctly, when I order the full leather option, where do I get Alcantara in the car? Thanks.
Whoops. Distracted. Sending now. Couple of minutes. I hope you have space in your email. Sent two emails, the 2nd is 7.7MB

Cheers,
Old 12-30-2006, 11:45 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Steering wheel rim, shift lever, handbrake lever grip, door
handles, door center panel, door storage bin and lid of center
console in alcantara black.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:53 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Photos posted for Carrera GT:

Quick Reply: Need help configuring my GT3