Bi xenons Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 11:41 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,631 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by leif997
already e-mailed him re this...said its not in the plans but I don't see how it would be that difficult; he already makes plugs for every other hole on the car.
probably b/c it would be a hardsell and only those who are as insane as we are would give a sh*t about the nipple.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:15 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
probably b/c it would be a hardsell and only those who are as insane as we are would give a sh*t about the nipple.
I'm betting the key-hole plug can be modified to obturate the void left by a removed nipple...not sure on the diameter discrepancy
Old 12-29-2006, 09:00 AM
JFT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT

And the chrome nipples are pretty bad on most paint choices, but could be removed and maybe that's another business opportunity for Eric the "got plugs" guy. On a white car, they're not too odd. On a black car, they look very much like an after-thought.

Cheers,
I think the chrome nipples might look ok on a GT3 with Silver rims, but it looks odd on an RS. There is a simple factory solution - exclusive option "CGA" - that paints the nipples in exterior color at around $150. It did it on mine.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:49 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,631 Likes on 2,314 Posts

I'm betting the key-hole plug can be modified to obturate the void left by a removed nipple...not sure on the diameter discrepancy
needs to be bigger.
i have the key hole plug and ust tried it on my gayman's nipple (sheet that sure doesnt' sound right :-), the dia of the key hole plug needs to be bigger and the backing of the plug has to be much much bigger for it to work on the nipple holes.

ugh.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:03 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mooty
needs to be bigger.
i have the key hole plug and ust tried it on my gayman's nipple (sheet that sure doesnt' sound right :-), the dia of the key hole plug needs to be bigger and the backing of the plug has to be much much bigger for it to work on the nipple holes.

ugh.
"key holes...gayman's nipples....hole plugs....nipple holes......" YIKES! where is this thread headed?
Old 12-29-2006, 04:15 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

If they don't have self leveling then there wouldn't be a need for the nipples...

Nipples are required for Xenon/HID's because the US Gov't is afraid and theorizes that if the lense of a car equiped with Xenons/HID's, were to have a "dirty" area on it, it would cause the self leveling system to either "push" the light up which would be dangerous for on-coming traffic or down which would negate lighting in that corner of the car. Hence the nipple to wash the lense.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:53 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
If they don't have self leveling then there wouldn't be a need for the nipples...

Nipples are required for Xenon/HID's because the US Gov't is afraid and theorizes that if the lense of a car equiped with Xenons/HID's, were to have a "dirty" area on it, it would cause the self leveling system to either "push" the light up which would be dangerous for on-coming traffic or down which would negate lighting in that corner of the car. Hence the nipple to wash the lense.
WTF ??

Thats the nuttest explaniton I've ener heard
Old 12-29-2006, 06:42 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

That's the same thing I thought when the person from PCNA gave it to me... WTF???
Old 12-30-2006, 06:21 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

"key holes...gayman's nipples....hole plugs....nipple holes......" YIKES! where is this thread headed?
Question - do a greater number of Porsche perverts drive GT3s than you would expect? Perhaps we could clamp down some variables, and get a (whip)hand on this topic?

R+C
Old 12-30-2006, 08:50 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
Porsche perverts, clamp(s) and (whip)s
I knew some of you Euro guys would have to take a hard hand on this subject!
Old 12-30-2006, 12:57 PM
RK1
Instructor

Originally Posted by MJSpeed

That is crazy, how many times you had a SUV behind you, blinding you because his head lights are so much higher than a passenger car. Or worse when they are on the opposite side coming towards you.

K1
Old 12-30-2006, 05:15 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Why not order the car w/ the standard lights, and then retro fit RS factory Zenons, and ditch the washers etc.?
Saves the cost of painting the nips, and the clean line of the bumper....
Old 12-30-2006, 05:39 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GTEE3
Why not order the car w/ the standard lights, and then retro fit RS factory Zenons, and ditch the washers etc.?
Saves the cost of painting the nips, and the clean line of the bumper....
This idea was kicked around.
There's some hurdles.
Additional wiring, maybe some ECU tweaks, suspension position sensor and whatever else happens along the way as far as unforeseen obstacles.

If the Xenons use the positions sensors in PASM, that would significantly reduce the retrofit effort.
If the ballasts and wiring is simple pig-tails to existing wiring, great, if the factory wiring is somehow different (in placement, routing) it might require some fiddling that would be easy on the production line, but could require hours of painstaking disassembly and dismantling.

I'm optimistic that when I get into the PET and start looking at my own car, it will be no more than some pig tails and maybe an additional suspension sensor as with the 996.

It would be great if they used PASM, but that would also be a can of worms once the springs are changed or the dampers completely removed.

If I were to go with a Black car, I'd first want to take some time to see if the Xenon retrofit would be possible.

In ten years, I can't remember wanting to hit the headlight washers. And the first time I did it on the 993 I was greatly confused about the source of the spray and assumed my windshield washers had failed ... at least, for a second or two, I was thinking "oh great ... the washers don't even work ..." : )

Anyway, for sure, if I can hold $1000 out of the price of the car and put it towards a retrofit kit form one of the after-market parts providers, that's better than two nipples of any colour poking through the front bumper cover. We'll see.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:27 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

In my cayenne and my A8L, the headlamp washers come on automatically if you use the windsheild washers. Is this what happens on the GT3/RS?
Old 12-31-2006, 01:03 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

I believe Porsche had a Xenon retrofit kit for the ealier 996 that did not include the washer system.

I wonder if Porsche will do the same for the 997 thus making nipple free Xenons a possibility, not to mention saving the weight of the washer system. One would have to install after purchase however.

Quick Reply: Bi xenons Question