?singlemass flywheel in GT3RS for American market

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 10:31 AM
privates8
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?singlemass flywheel in GT3RS for American market

Just got the Feb 2007 Excellence and it seems to suggest in an interview with Porsche's project manager for the GT3RS that the single mass flywheel would be an option only orderable as a spare part for installation after delivery(like the seats, roll cage and plastic rear window) in N.A. rather than standard equipment.

Everything that I had read previously made it seem like one of the most important points differentiating the GT3 from the RS . Seems a bit odd.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-23-2006, 10:36 AM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by privates8
Just got the Feb 2007 Excellence and it seems to suggest in an interview with Porsche's project manager for the GT3RS that the single mass flywheel would be an option only orderable as a spare part for installation after delivery(like the seats, roll cage and plastic rear window) in N.A. rather than standard equipment.

Everything that I had read previously made it seem like one of the most important points differentiating the GT3 from the RS . Seems a bit odd.

Any thoughts?
The LWFW is standard for U.S. spec GT3RS! No Ifs, Ands or Buts about it. If not...there WILL be a revolution.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:43 AM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any thoughts?
Agree with BobbyC above, North America RS gets standard LWFW. There would be a lynch mob of torch-wielding villagers (dentists) assembled outside PCNA offices in Atlanta if RS models for North America did not include LWFW.

(project mgr) Preuninger was talking about the roll cage, plastic rear window, + lightweight seats as orderable after delivery for North American RS models through Porsche parts dept. His other comment that "you can even get the single-mass flywheel for the U.S.!" was separate topic.
I would bank on first item listed here>> https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...0&postcount=32
Old 12-23-2006, 02:12 PM
privates8
Addict
Rennlist Member

My reading of the article gives me the impression that the LWFW discussion is connected to the seat/ roll cage discussion. It is part of the same paragragh discussing what the US cars won't have on delivery.His statement that you "can" get the LWFW seems to me to indicate that you don't necessarily get it and the next paragraph goes on to describe what you do get for the $17,200 difference from the GT3.

This immediately follows the discussion of the flywheel. "Many of the U.S. RS customers are wondering what they WILL get for another $17,200 over the price of a regular 997 GT3 when the cars show up in early 2007. In one way though, it's actually more about what the RS won't have: a sunroof. Says Preuninger: "(The RS) won't come with a sunroof. This was a rumor that is totally false. A sunroof isn't even an option for the GT3RS. After that , US RSs get wider rear flares, unique paint options, RS graphics, and an eye-catching rear wing along with the GT3 RS's subtler tweaks beneath the skin."

Believe me, I am not trying to incite a riot. I hope that you are right and that the RS has the LWFW here without having to pay extra or have it installed after delivery. I just can't say that for sure based on reading this article.

I was glad to read what looks like an official statement declaring that the LWFW will be standard in your link.

Last edited by privates8; 12-23-2006 at 02:21 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-23-2006, 02:16 PM
GlennMc
Racer

This LWFW is a revelation....

The throttle response is soo much better with it, and the car spools up quicker too

G.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:39 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 284 Posts

My reading of the article gives me the impression that the LWFW discussion is connected to the seat/ roll cage discussion. It is part of the same paragragh discussing what the US cars won't have on delivery.His statement that you "can" get the LWFW seems to me to indicate that you don't necessarily get it and the next paragraph goes on to describe what you do get for the $17,200 difference from the GT3.

This immediately follows the discussion of the flywheel. "Many of the U.S. RS customers are wondering what they WILL get for another $17,200 over the price of a regular 997 GT3 when the cars show up in early 2007. In one way though, it's actually more about what the RS won't have: a sunroof. Says Preuninger: "(The RS) won't come with a sunroof. This was a rumor that is totally false. A sunroof isn't even an option for the GT3RS. After that , US RSs get wider rear flares, unique paint options, RS graphics, and an eye-catching rear wing along with the GT3 RS's subtler tweaks beneath the skin."

Believe me, I am not trying to incite a riot. I hope that you are right and that the RS has the LWFW here without having to pay extra or have it installed after delivery. I just can't say that for sure based on reading this article.

I was glad to read what looks like an official statement declaring that the LWFW will be standard in your link.
From a vehicle distribution bulletin from Porsche, dated December 19,2006
The GT3 RS includes a single-mass flywheel compared to the dual-mass flywheel of the GT3.
SPORT button is standard.
Boot lid and doors are aluminum.
White is "Paint to sample" and does not include stripes.
Sunroof is not available.
The rear window is made of thin glass.
The door panels include storage bins.
Options are limited in availability.
The Club Sport package will not be available in the US or Canada for goverment compliance reasons.

That's the jist of it. If I had a scanner I would scan it for you.
Mine, Viper Green, will be here in February.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:43 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Single Mass Lightweight Flywheel in RS confirmed for NA...
Old 12-23-2006, 05:51 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 284 Posts

Camera shot scanner, from a fax.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:01 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 491 Likes on 328 Posts

Excellence is wrong.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:16 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JUSTIN.
Excellence is wrong.

Blasphemy!..Justin, are you asking us to believe that motorsports journalists don't do proper research and editing?...c'mon dude, what's in your pipe?
Old 12-23-2006, 07:47 PM
fayence
Instructor

Yeah, that article got me worried so I contacted my dealer -- all is well again -- single mass flywheel.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:24 PM
privates8
Addict
Rennlist Member

Glad to hear that it was a false alarm.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:03 AM
PoorBobbie
Intermediate

The nerve of excellence scaring everyone like that. I must admit I was scared too. All is good on the homefront, confirmed with my dealer as well.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:37 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,494 Likes on 2,274 Posts

first batch of RS are on the ship now.
perhaps the first RS owners can post and fix all these rumors.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:02 AM
khaug
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find it hard to believe that a 20 Kg reduction in rotating mass won't do good things. It appears the torsional rattle issue will be the ONLY penalty.

RS folks, please post and tell us how much aggravtation you have with your LWFLW!

-Karl,

Just waiting for the RMS seal to occur, hence the single-mass flywheel
freebie labor, if it's deemed worth it ! P.S.: I love my '07 GT3 as-is.!

Quick Reply: ?singlemass flywheel in GT3RS for American market