Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 02:31 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Exclamation GT3RS Info Update

Date: December 19, 2006
The purpose of this bulletin is to clarify information regarding the GT3 RS.

Early information indicated the luggage compartment would be constructed of carbon fiber. However, final production specifications call for the front lid and doors to be constructed of aluminum as a means of weight reduction.

Old 12-21-2006, 02:34 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks . . . no surprise
Old 12-21-2006, 02:37 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I assume the carbon fiber is a manufacturing headache for Porsche AG and they decided to drop it. They have had trouble keeping up with production for the 996 RS Carbon Fiber Wing since there was so much demand for those parts for the regular GT3.

I wonder what the weight difference is between the the aluminum and carbon fiber hoods?
Old 12-21-2006, 03:06 PM
XSpeedFreakX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So does the U.S. RS have any weight saving components over that of a standard GT3 besides sunroof delete?
Old 12-21-2006, 03:15 PM
Max Power
Racer

LWFW
Old 12-21-2006, 03:22 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

The wing itself should be less mass but I expect the engine deck lid is about the same mass (fiberglass for both models?).
Old 12-21-2006, 03:33 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dudes,

again there is no printed info that states the NA car will come WITHOUT a sunroof. And there is NO info anywhere which states the GT3RS will be lighter. This stupid email that was spread to the dealer reps calling for 44lbs reduction and carbon fibre hood was basically made up by someone who didn't know what the eff he was talking about.

Be prepared for the NA RS to be be heavier than the NA GT3, b/c of the wider ***.
There is no way the RS can be lighter than the GT3.

Mjones, care to chime in?

I am willing to bet that the RS will be heavier than the GT3.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:37 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

My savings estimate ~50lbs ( sunroof -40lbs, LWFW -20lbs, CFwing -3lbs, body +10lbs, rear wheel +3lbs).
Old 12-21-2006, 03:39 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,522 Likes on 2,286 Posts

Originally Posted by enthusiast
I assume the carbon fiber is a manufacturing headache for Porsche AG and they decided to drop it. They have had trouble keeping up with production for the 996 RS Carbon Fiber Wing since there was so much demand for those parts for the regular GT3.

I wonder what the weight difference is between the the aluminum and carbon fiber hoods?

well made real carbon fiber pces are very hard to manufacture. not only that, they are very very difficult to paint well.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:45 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by XSpeedFreakX
So does the U.S. RS have any weight saving components over that of a standard GT3 besides sunroof delete?
The GT3 RS includes a single-mass flywheel compared to the dual-mass flywheel in the GT3.

A sunroof is not available.

The rear window is made of a thin glass.

The door panels include storage bins.

Old 12-21-2006, 03:45 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Guys, I just figured out why they made the sunroof mandatory on the GT3 - to make the RS lighter.
If they offerred a NO-sunroof GT3, it would be so much closer to the RS's weight. It's easier to add weight (by putting a mandatory sunroof on the car) and then take it off later than it is to make a light car and then TRY to make it lighter.

Does the regular GT3 not also have aluminum doors and bonnet?
Mjones, where does it say that a sunroof is not avaiblable on an RS?
The US pdf spec for the RS only states the doors are made of aluminum, it doesn't say what teh bonnet or engine cover are made of.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:57 PM
XSpeedFreakX
Instructor

The normal GT3 has a rear window made from thin glass as well.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:02 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

To me I don't care about the sunroof, but if the RS comes with one, there is no way it can be lighter. Remember Porsche has been very vague with their printed material, no where does it say that the NA RS will come WITHOUT a sunroof. Apparently this carbon hood info was in the same email sent to dealer reps which stated that there would be no sunroof and therefore a weight savings. If the carbon hood isn;t happening then why should the 'no-sunroof' happen?

Right now if the NA RS comes with a sunroof and with no weight savings there is nothing any of us can do b/c PCNA will always refer to the printed info they offered and all of the official printed info my dealer showed me about the NA RS staes nothing about weight, sunroofs and/or carbon hood. Basically we'd be stuck.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:12 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Originally Posted by RR
To me I don't care about the sunroof, but if the RS comes with one, there is no way it can be lighter. Remember Porsche has been very vague with their printed material, no where does it say that the NA RS will come WITHOUT a sunroof. Apparently this carbon hood info was in the same email sent to dealer reps which stated that there would be no sunroof and therefore a weight savings. If the carbon hood isn;t happening then why should the 'no-sunroof' happen?

Right now if the NA RS comes with a sunroof and with no weight savings there is nothing any of us can do b/c PCNA will always refer to the printed info they offered and all of the official printed info my dealer showed me about the NA RS staes nothing about weight, sunroofs and/or carbon hood. Basically we'd be stuck.

Slow down and catch your breath a minute. THERE IS NO SUNROOF ON THE RS. No printed material... what about those who are actually ordering their RSs now.

I have seen it printed several times... most recently by Excellence Magazine where they quote Andreas Preuninger who developed the darn car as saying, "The RS won't come with a sunroof... a sunroof isn't even an option for the GT3RS."

You can debate the weight issues all you want but no need to worry about whether a sunroof will be a factor or not on the RS!
Old 12-21-2006, 04:15 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RR
Does the regular GT3 not also have aluminum doors and bonnet?
Mjones, where does it say that a sunroof is not avaiblable on an RS?
The US pdf spec for the RS only states the doors are made of aluminum, it doesn't say what teh bonnet or engine cover are made of.
Regular GT3 Has Aluminum doors and hood, states this in "The new 911GT3RS and the 911GT3" brochure. Turbo has Aluminum doors and hood as well

Sunroof not available for the RS, stated in the clairification bulletin (12/19/07)

Quick Reply: GT3RS Info Update