My white one arrived today.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 12:25 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
full leather and carbon stuff... what are you, poseur, LOL.
The decision to sprinkle leather and carbon fibre trim was made with some reluctance. In the final analysis, I chose the rationalisation of deciding the "real" MSRP of the 996 GT3 and the 997 GT3 had to include Xenon lights and leather cabin. I find it easier to reconcile spending $100K+ on a Porsche if it at least has the quality of "touch" materials to reflect the quality of the mechanicals. Especially since both cars were bought with the intention of them being track-oriented daily drivers.

To go one step further, I think the real MSRP of the GT3 (with or without the RS wide body) should reflect shell seats, roll bar, harnesses, safety gear and a first visit to a trusted alignment shop to get the ride height, corner balance and alignment settings dialed in.

Somewhat ironically, while I believe the DAS bar out of the 996 GT3 (without sunroof) will fit the 997 GT3 (with sunroof,) there's so much more head room in the 997, I'd want to get a new bar enlarged to offer the extra space.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:06 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very sweet Looks like 997 GT3&RS will be clogging the roads around here soon

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
In the final analysis, I chose the rationalisation of deciding the "real" MSRP of the 996 GT3 and the 997 GT3 had to include Xenon lights and leather cabin. I find it easier to reconcile spending $100K+ on a Porsche if it at least has the quality of "touch" materials to reflect the quality of the mechanicals. Especially since both cars were bought with the intention of them being track-oriented daily drivers.
I agree with you there. Seems to me that a $100K+ car that isn't dedicated to the track should have leather at a min. Plastics in 997 may be upgraded vs. 996 but I still likes the leather.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:16 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
HAHAHAH, i guess you were there when the tran am/nascar thing got stuffed into the wall BEFORE it existed the hot pit? or the spin on the out lap after right after T2? both at sears.

spin in the hot pit, wow, that's real MadSkillZ.
True. Well, I might be overstating the case a little there, but they're better than most about safety.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:00 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks very very cool, congrats!
Old 12-23-2006, 10:07 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Congrats! What a car indeed!!
Love to see more images!!
Old 12-23-2006, 10:36 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Outstanding. Love white. Happy Bday!
Old 12-24-2006, 12:56 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Congrats!! Enjoy her in good health.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:02 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Finally got behind the wheel. I think I'm the last to drive this thing!

Great first drive. I think the first 997 GT3 I drove (for only an hour) didn't have the crisp throttle response I feel in this car. Quite noticeable. Especially when I got back in the 996 GT3 to drive home (about 30 miles) and really noticed how the 997 pours on the torque and makes the car feel lighter.

Pity I didn't get Nav -- I got lost in the hills around my own house -- ended up running down to fumes in the tank at 250 miles and totalled 300 miles before I got out. And as soon as I got out, I wanted straight back in. Given Nav is 300 grams, I'll get it in the next one.

Everything feels low and tight. The engine note is very close to making you think there's a Cup car close behind you waiting to pass.

Point to point on familiar winding country roads, the 997 GT3 is lightening quick and communicates to the driver without the jostling of the factory 996 GT3 suspension.

Overall, I think the 7 shows excellent results from the years of development invested in the 911 since the 6. I have to wonder if Porsche always intended the 6 to be the car to take the brunt of backlash against watercooled engines in production 911's and the 7 comes all the way back to the 993. From the headlights to the window controls, it's pays its respects. If only they'd not gone with the Carrera/Boxster centre console cutting the dash down the middle -- they really should have stayed with the signature straight line across the dash. I hope I can figure out a "console delete" for the 997.

Other bullet points.

* Crappy plastic cabin, door handles, radio switches. Blecch!
* Very quiet with the windows closed
* Ample head room despite the sunroof
* Much improved Sport seats
* Excellent door sound (not as good as the vault sound of the 993 but much better than the Toyota sound of the 996)
* Ripped the crap out of the chin spoiler already -- have to go to the RS bits anyway.
* Not great fit and finish in the cabin plastic trim either -- the speaker covers aren't a perfect fit
* Full leather and some cabin carbon fiber options really makes the cabin feel like a $125K car
* PCCB pedal feel is not as firm as properly set up steel brakes
* Xenons are good but no better than a Prius : |
* The look of the PCCBS filling up the 19's with 380mm ceramic rotors is spellbinding

That said, on first impressions, if I had to choose between the 993 Turbo and the 997 GT3, money aside, I am tending to think I'd keep the 993. Time will tell.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:11 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for a great, informative write-up.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:21 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Great write up and enjoy!!
Old 01-04-2007, 01:33 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Carrera GT -- thanks for the great write-up -- last line caught my eye (I have a 993, and an RS on order) -- curious what you like about the 993 over the GT3, at least based off of an initial first impression of the GT3?
Old 01-04-2007, 02:02 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Pity I didn't get Nav -- I got lost in the hills around my own house . . .
how do you get lost around your own home adam?
new to the area?

That said, on first impressions, if I had to choose between the 993 Turbo and the 997 GT3, money aside, I am tending to think I'd keep the 993. Time will tell.
interesting comment adam.
do you mean as a daily driver,
or dual purpose track and street,
or for the track?
Old 01-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Beautiful car! Congrats Adam!
Old 01-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Olav A.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks.

http://www.trackmasters-racing.com/

Very good track day operation -- focus on track time at good track (Laguna, Sears, etc.) and no tolerance for risky drivers or unsafe track junkers.

(no affiliation, just a customer, yadda y y )
What time do you get to the track? I couldn't see it on their web page.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:31 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats! Beautiful car. Plan on putting on any graphics?

Quick Reply: My white one arrived today.