Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What roll bar is this ?? is this what the row gets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 05:27 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool chop Leif!
Old 12-06-2006, 09:47 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by doc2s
will the row roll bar and front cage section fit a 997 gt3 w/ sunroof?
Not enough room...custom build time...

Leif997,

Nice chopper man...and the fact that you built it is even cooler!!
Old 12-09-2006, 03:46 PM
mobile
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some more infos regarding the roll cage.

- fit with a sunroof? Could be! I know many drivers with sunroof and with cage. Unfortunately not with this one. But you don't have to mount the front diagonal element. So maybe ...?

- How to get one: Your local dealer has to make an order at Porsche Motorsport.

- Street legal: No, because of the reduced view into the outside rear. But no (!) constraints regarding head protection from a legal point of view. Of course I didn’t have the cage mounted if driving on the street ;-)

- Side protection: The cage is definitely FIA approved. Unfortunately I didn’t really understand why – but at Porsche they told me that there IS enough side protection. They told me that I even didn’t really need the additional upholstery instead of the air bag. My guess: The door has a special side protection. (Some integrated steel element). A race car normally didn’t have this. That’s why a race car has an additional side protection.

- The front cage is only available in black!!! You have to color the front cage if you have a RS.

- Be aware: Front cage + coloring + mounting aren’t cheap! (1.550 + 270 + 400 all plus Tax).

But:

- It looks fantastic!

- It increases safety a lot!

- It stiffs the chassis and it helps the chassis to reduce decreasing / growing old

mobile
Old 12-10-2006, 05:13 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by mobile
Some more infos regarding the roll cage.

- How to get one: Your local dealer has to make an order at Porsche Motorsport.

- Side protection: The cage is definitely FIA approved. Unfortunately I didn’t really understand why – but at Porsche they told me that there IS enough side protection. They told me that I even didn’t really need the additional upholstery instead of the air bag. My guess: The door has a special side protection. (Some integrated steel element). A race car normally didn’t have this. That’s why a race car has an additional side protection.

- Be aware: Front cage + coloring + mounting aren’t cheap! (1.550 + 270 + 400 all plus Tax).
I really cannot accept what you are saying here. You may be on the receiving end of misinformation from your dealer, supplier, raingod, whoever.

Firstly, that roll cage does NOT meet FIA requirements for racing in classes that the FIA mandate covers. If it is FIA approved, it is suitable for racing, this is NOT suitable for racing. So whoever you have been talking to is just ladleing it out. In the old days it was called hogwash. The doors do have side protection, the race car doors tend not to have side prtection. Pick up a 997 GT3 Cup door and you will realise why. You have been sold a load of cowpucky. What you have is better than nothing, quite a lot better and it may even stiffen the chassis, but you don't have a racing rollcage.

A roll cage painted and installed for 2,220 isnt expensive, its CHEAP. Where safety is concerned, cheap is not good enough, its like chest hair, when the going gets tough a hairpiece doesnt cut it.

R+C
Old 12-10-2006, 06:13 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

hey robin?
i invited the guy to come post at rennlist.
he makes one post and gets your reply!?
would you feel welcome after getting that reply?
Old 12-10-2006, 07:40 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by icon
hey robin?
i invited the guy to come post at rennlist.
he makes one post and gets your reply!?
would you feel welcome after getting that reply?
Jeff

as I said he 'may be the receiving end of misinformation...'

I have said it may very well be effective. I have also pointed out it isn't a racing rollcage in FIA terms.

Your beef is with the FIA rather than me.

R+C
Old 12-10-2006, 07:59 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife

Your beef is with the FIA rather than me.

R+C
Frankly, the beef is with your post. Even though it might be factual, it is simply rude.

From one Bavarian to another.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:12 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Frankly, the beef is with your post. Even though it might be factual, it is simply rude.

From one Bavarian to another.
Not rude, but ironic and humourous. I have made jokes about hogwash, cowpucky and chest hair.

R+C
PS I only live in Bayern
Old 12-10-2006, 12:34 PM
mobile
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
I really cannot accept what you are saying here. You may be on the receiving end of misinformation from your dealer, supplier, raingod, whoever.

Firstly, that roll cage does NOT meet FIA requirements for racing in classes that the FIA mandate covers. If it is FIA approved, it is suitable for racing, this is NOT suitable for racing. So whoever you have been talking to is just ladleing it out. In the old days it was called hogwash. The doors do have side protection, the race car doors tend not to have side prtection. Pick up a 997 GT3 Cup door and you will realise why. You have been sold a load of cowpucky. What you have is better than nothing, quite a lot better and it may even stiffen the chassis, but you don't have a racing rollcage.

A roll cage painted and installed for 2,220 isnt expensive, its CHEAP. Where safety is concerned, cheap is not good enough, its like chest hair, when the going gets tough a hairpiece doesnt cut it.

R+C
1) Regarding the FIA Topic: You can read it on the porsche side.

"The key feature, a bolt-in roll cage, installs directly behind the front seats. A front roll-cage element, which is required for FIA-approved events, is available separately from Porsche Motorsport."

Nothing more, nothing less!

I know what you mean. And I also know that there are much more differences compared to a typical installed racing cage. But that was not the topic. And not what I have said. Someone ask me to give some information regarding this specific cage. And I did it.

2) Regarding your speculation - I can help: I was told from Mr. Preuninger directly.

3) Of course I have picked up a Cup door. But I haven't written that they have a side protection. Don't understand your comment?

4) I didn't say that safety isn't worth the money. And I also didn't say that that the whole cage cost 2.200 Euro. I said that the front cage cost 2.200 Euro! And make a call at Cardiff and you get a cheaper one.

Strange forum ...

mobile
Old 12-10-2006, 09:23 PM
FL Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Rollcage front and rear sections

Does anyone have the part numbers and who this should actually be ordered from ... i.e. my dealer thru PCNA or my dealer thru Porsche Motorsports or myself direct to Motorsports?
I currently have the 997 GT3; arrived yesterday (white with ceramics) and have a Feb production GT3RS (orange with ceramics). I plan on putting the cage and new style Porsche shell seats in the GT3RS... so I have a little time.
Thank you.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:25 PM
FL Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Rollcage

... or does someone have a contact in Europe or the UK that can confirm availability (read, can delivery from stock or soon); I can order direct and have the items shipped via FEDEX to the US?!
Old 12-10-2006, 09:46 PM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

check http://www.carnewal-europe.com/main.htm they have a cage arriving in1 -2 weeks not sure if it is spoken for.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:07 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Don't know **** about this particular roll cage except two things:

1) It looks bad ***!!
2) Better than nothing

And I want one!!

Beautiful Mobile...simply beautiful!!

Mobile,

Welcome and I hope you enjoy this forum!!
Old 12-11-2006, 09:46 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes a little Dale Carnegie on this forum would go along way..

("How to win friends and influence people")
Old 12-11-2006, 11:27 AM
Woodster
Drifting

Ole Nordy is like Viken (who is greatly missed on this forum), he may rough you up but
he will still be your friend

Quick Reply: What roll bar is this ?? is this what the row gets?