Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Interesting Calculus when writing a check for the RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 12:32 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Interesting Calculus when writing a check for the RS

A friend of mine is numero uno at a dealer for an RS and has gotten the call to spec the car.

After lookiing over the order guide, he decides on 4 options Green Paint, Xenon lights, PCCB and full leather. The car is to be sold at list price and with options comes to just north of $150,000 with taxes, license, etc.

He considers the value of his current GT3 which is a nice low mileage car with PCCB, some GT3 RS bits and a SMF flywheel installation and finds the dealer will sell it on consignment at a net of $80K or so to him, or he can sell it himself and net maybe another 5 to 10K for the car.

He paid north of $120K for the 2004 GT3 when new, so has taken a $40K+ loss on the car.

He is currently wondering if the RS is worth another $60-70K on top of this, plus what may be dramatic depreciation on the RS, especially when his wife points out that would buy her a nice new car........and his current GT3 ain't too shabby.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:36 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 505 Posts

I am very disappointed about the US RS spec and the price. It's probably the only country in the world where the base price is more than the TT - and that's without most of the "RS goodies" . My guess is that some people find comfort in the fact that only 200+ units might be made and that it will become a collectors item - pure speculation in my mind because Porsche (as you can see from the pricing of white paint on the RS) will sell whatever makes the most money.

The biggest issue for me is that Euro delivery is not available on the RS and for me the thrill alone of picking the car up with my son in Stuttgart for a short vacation is simply priceless. Guess you can see that I'm leaning towards a May build GT3 (with some goodies rear like cage, carbon seats and RS wing).

BTW - every car purchase usually requires an additional budget for a gift to my wife anyway so my cars are usually more expensive than for other people.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:47 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what people expect, I mean if you continually trade cars you will LOSE, Big Time!
After all profit is impossible if you are buying retail and selling wholesale.
It's all part of the Porsche habit, it takes lots of dough to keep satisfied, for some folks anyway.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:13 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I am very disappointed about the US RS spec and the price. It's probably the only country in the world where the base price is more than the TT - and that's without most of the "RS goodies" .
kind of a silly way to look at it when compared to what rowers pay for their goody included car.
it's already been pointed out we could bring it up to better than row spec and still have the car at a price under what rowers pay.

despite these kind of complaints you sure don't see anyone giving up their allocation.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:29 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by icon
kind of a silly way to look at it when compared to what rowers pay for their goody included car.
it's already been pointed out we could bring it up to better than row spec and still have the car at a price under what rowers pay.

despite these kind of complaints you sure don't see anyone giving up their allocation.
Interesting point on what one can do with their 997 RS once they get it.

In the same way, my friend considered what could be done to his 996 GT3 for the money he would spend for the 997 RS.

He figured completeing the conversion he has already started on his GT3 to Euro 996 GT3 RS spec. can be done for so much less than it would cost to buy the 997 RS.... he gave up his allocation.

To each his own....
Old 12-02-2006, 06:48 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
I disagree because my post was related to the alternatives, i.e. the TT and the standard GT3. I have no complaints about US Porsche prices or our comparatively low sales tax.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:52 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It's fair to compare the new price of a 996 GT3 with options against the 997 GT3 RS. My low option 996 (Full Leather, Seal Grey, xenons, gas guzzler) came at $110k plus taxes, registration, etc. An Orange GT3 RS with xenons, full leather would set me back $130k plus taxes, registration, etc. The $20k difference is not bad.

However, in my case, I've to compare my PCCB and RS/Cup/RSR equipped 996 GT3 (worth $70k) against a 997 GT3 RS with ROW stuff, PCCB, taxes and registration: $160k. That's a $90k difference.

I would pay those $90k for a different car, call it '06 Gallardo, '05 Ford GT, 997 GT2, 997 RGT. Or probably get another car (C6 Z06, GT3 Cup, Exige Cup) and keep my nice 996 GT3.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:19 PM
jonmyer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS debate

As always, I find these discussions most helpful. I sit with an 07' C4S, and have the #3 spot for an RS (I don't have the highest hopes- but I hope none the less) The dealer said my odds to get a GT3 are much higher- in fact, probable. I have bought into the fact that the RS is going to be a really desirable car in terms of long-term value, but as I read this string I am wondering if that will hold up. He also has a TT Feb. build I could have, but I really think I want to go in the direction of a car I could club race in my future. I am no expert, but I am wondering if the difference between the GT3 and RS is anything to get excited about for the additional $$.
Comments?
Thanks
Old 12-02-2006, 11:34 PM
KA
Advanced

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I am very disappointed about the US RS spec and the price. It's probably the only country in the world where the base price is more than the TT - and that's without most of the "RS goodies" . My guess is that some people find comfort in the fact that only 200+ units might be made and that it will become a collectors item - pure speculation in my mind because Porsche (as you can see from the pricing of white paint on the RS) will sell whatever makes the most money.

The biggest issue for me is that Euro delivery is not available on the RS and for me the thrill alone of picking the car up with my son in Stuttgart for a short vacation is simply priceless. Guess you can see that I'm leaning towards a May build GT3 (with some goodies rear like cage, carbon seats and RS wing).

BTW - every car purchase usually requires an additional budget for a gift to my wife anyway so my cars are usually more expensive than for other people.
Is Euro delivery not available on the RS? I thought I saw it in the order guide?
Old 12-02-2006, 11:46 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes it's option TD5 on page 9 of 9 of the order guide.

Also, other than the lexan window, the GT3 RS is exactly like the ROW car (with the addition of a carbon fibre hood), when you add (easily aftermarket) the seats (disabling side airbags) and rollbar. As to the lexan widow, I'd rather have glass any day and I'll find the 6 lb delta somewhere else

So it is the real deal, and one hell of a lot cheaper than any RS in the ROW.

You've got to love America!
Old 12-03-2006, 02:32 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

^You beat me to it...the NA 997RS is the real deal...it has all the RS goodies except Lexan, CF Seats and rollcage. Also according to some (PCNA) it will have a CF Hood. The items it doesn't bring are not permissible due to NHSTA/DOT Regulations and could easily be retrofited into the car...

Enough of this bull**** that RS in NA is not the real deal...find some other point to argue with!
Old 12-03-2006, 02:39 AM
krC2S
Racer

definetely beats the days where the RS america was 200 lbs heavier than the euro RS
Old 12-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

The fact it is an homologation edition for an "RSR" makes it an "RS".

Past RS cars have been available in "Touring" "Basic" and "Competition versions" and varied in the type of seats, luxury equipment, roll bar or no roll bar, etc. but they were all considered an RS.

In my view we are getting a "Touring" RS while the ROW is getting a "Competition" RS.

It would really be something if the USA got the CF hood and the ROW did not, it is hard for me to imagine that scenario.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:37 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well according to the latest communication from PCNA to its Dealer network, it does have the CF hood.

Until that detail is refuted then we have to go with it.

Can't say anything about the ROW, mabe they got screwed again. After all, they think they get the wrong end of the deal because their cars cost so much more.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:49 AM
gt3cup98
Racer

The order guide does not mention CF hood and does mention aluminum doors. My guess if they mention doors they would definiatly mention CF hood if it had one.
Boyd

Quick Reply: Interesting Calculus when writing a check for the RS