Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

I got that call again!! 997GT3 Available!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 03:05 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
the popularity of de's is going to drop big time if the insurance cos. start pulling out of coverage.

I don't think so since most drivers don't think about insurance until it's too late! The other consideration is that with the growing popularity of DE, some insurance company will step up to the plate with DE insurance and make it profitable.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:10 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by mooty
this issue is really freaking me out of late.

and as the sport gets popular, some drivers get overzealous and drive certain cars that are fast and almost drive themselves (Evo and STi comes to mind). thus when they go off, they go off BIG time. they may shoot back on track and take US out. they may leak oil and unless your Ghetto Racer himself, you got no chance but kiss the wall....

i sure as hell can't afford to wad up a GT3.
We will be swtiching to AAA soon on cchan's tip (the guy finally got the quote to me, and it aint even correct), my lawyer wife will be reviewing the exclusion clause.

But for 100% certainty Farmers does not cover DE, which is why I have been banned from track event by her until this is resolved.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:18 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stuka
We will be swtiching to AAA soon on cchan's tip (the guy finally got the quote to me, and it aint even correct), my lawyer wife will be reviewing the exclusion clause.

But for 100% certainty Farmers does not cover DE, which is why I have been banned from track event by her until this is resolved.
you mean you actually listen to your wife?
Old 11-15-2006, 04:18 PM
stuka
Pro

kind of a catch 22 though since de's have grown in popularity because they are covered under normal car insurance as driver education.
i doubt they will make a seperate class of insurance for de's.
but hopefully other insurance cos. won't drop coverage.
Just read your exclusion clause. If it's not exlcuded, it is covered. Writting to your agent won't work, asking the insurance company won't work.

Reviewing the clause (or have a lawyer review it), and change policy if not covered, is the way to do it.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:19 PM
stuka
Pro

you mean you actually listen to your wife?
Would you like to write a check for a balled up GT2 for me?
Old 11-15-2006, 04:21 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
I don't think so since most drivers don't think about insurance until it's too late! The other consideration is that with the growing popularity of DE, some insurance company will step up to the plate with DE insurance and make it profitable.
you are right mitch. i had a sobering experience several years back on track.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:22 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

stuka is spot on. your policy is only in effect for what is or isn't written in your contract. And agent can tell you ANYTHING they want. But when push comes to shove it all comes down to what was agreed upon by both parties and that is what is written in your policy. Have it looked over (either by yourself or an attorney) to verify what you have or don't have covered. simple as that. There is no such thing as post hoc exclusions.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:09 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

mj,
guess your buddy must have sold the car?
no call received.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:05 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
are you stalking me?
Nah. Too much work.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:16 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stuka
Just read your exclusion clause. If it's not exlcuded, it is covered. Writting to your agent won't work, asking the insurance company won't work.

Reviewing the clause (or have a lawyer review it), and change policy if not covered, is the way to do it.
Interesting topic. I received my updated insurance policy a couple of months ago and scoured it for a DE/HSDS, etc. related exclusion. Here's what is says:
"-Loss to any vehicle while it is being operated in, or in practice for, any driving contest or challenge."

Now, I'm no lawyer but I'm thinking that's vague enough that I would wind up in court over a wreck occurring on a DE/TT weekend with the Porsche Club, even if I wasn't doing the TT. Perhaps a straight up "DE" track day (wo TT) would escape this exclusion since there is no "contest or challenge" involved. But then again if you were timing your laps would that constitute "a challenge"??
Hmmm, I must say the language in that exclusion worries me a bit but not sure how it compares to other policies out there.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:36 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by mjb
"-Loss to any vehicle while it is being operated in, or in practice for, any driving contest or challenge."

Now, I'm no lawyer but I'm thinking that's vague enough that I would wind up in court over a wreck occurring on a DE/TT weekend with the Porsche Club, even if I wasn't doing the TT. Perhaps a straight up "DE" track day (wo TT) would escape this exclusion since there is no "contest or challenge" involved. But then again if you were timing your laps would that constitute "a challenge"??
Hmmm, I must say the language in that exclusion worries me a bit but not sure how it compares to other policies out there.
I'm no lawyer either. I agree that you might have to fight if there are timed laps at the event, but the wording does not exclude actual DE events. Wording of my policy is similar, and I'm sure others' as well...the BMWCCA here in So Cal is adamant about nobody timing anything at DE events for this reason.

I had a policy from Costco/AMEX that clearly stated no coverage on racetracks. No chance of misinterpretation there.

Unless organizers become sloppy and accidents increase per track mile, I don't think DE events will be excluded from policies across the board. If you consider how many total track miles per typical DE weekend vs how much damage occurs, in my experience the risk is still minimal. And if there is a claim, it's a repair or title payoff, not (typically) an expensive liability lawsuit.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:53 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

mj,
guess your buddy must have sold the car?
no call received.
Car was sold..hence the reason for no call.

Quick Reply: I got that call again!! 997GT3 Available!!