Ferrari---->GT3

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 01:06 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
And 19 year old nubile hotties are willing to hike up their skirts just to have the opportunity to sit in Ferrari
Will you be selling opportunities to sniff your right seat?

Can't do alpine. It seems like everyone is ordering it in that (including myself)
Old 11-05-2006, 02:09 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
say what?
mooty's giving up on the cayman?
boxster series fall thru?
what's prompting the change of mind?
no, who said i giving up on cayman. i had it at laguna seca today. having a blast. i MAY "add" to cayman. i am pretty certain i will always have a cayman s.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:44 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
no, who said i giving up on cayman. i had it at laguna seca today. having a blast. i MAY "add" to cayman. i am pretty certain i will always have a cayman s.
good to hear
Old 11-05-2006, 09:43 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
Will you be selling opportunities to sniff your right seat?)
Only to fetish-driven surgeons.

Originally Posted by eclou
Can't do alpine. It seems like everyone is ordering it in that (including myself?)
White is the new black mang.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:35 PM
tdf360
Pro

Thinking of selling the Ferrari. Great car, but no GT3. It's sexy as hell, makes great sounds, leather smells awesome, and is pretty fast. Love the gated shifter too. But. . . . .

Coming from both a 996 GT3 and a 997S, I can tell you with certainty that Porsche offers a chassis setup that is superior. In the Porsche, as you reach the limits things get loose in a very predictable, tractable manner. Both cars can carry a lot of slip angle and as the car moves it is easy to reel back in and the car tells you what is happening with amazing clarity.

The Ferrari is visceral and feelsome, but it lacks the tractability and predictability of the 911s IMHO. In some ways, it reminds me of my S2000. Fun at 80%, but as you approach the limit, it's a handful. Words like 'snap spin', 'tail-happy', 'twitchy' come to mind.

In short, despite the obvious ownership pluses of a Ferrari, I still like the driving dynamics of the the porsches. . . and miss them.

Thinking of going with the new GT3, sunroof be damned.

Thoughts? Anyone else 'come back to' Porsche?
Having driven both at the track, I disagree. I found the 360 more challenging for sure than the GT3, but it was always honest and MUCH more responsive, almost formula-car like. The only problem I had with the 360 was some sensitivity at high-speed turn-in, but I did drive the car extensively and never came close to spinning. My lap times were in the ballpark with bone-stock GT3's, maybe a second or so slower.

Now the 430 is an entirely different matter. The high-speed turn-in issue is completely gone, the chassis utterly predictable, maybe actually not as much fun as the 360 in that sense, but much faster. The 430 chassis dynamics are unparalleled in my experience among street machines.

Gary
Old 11-05-2006, 05:51 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

how did you get the chance to drive a formula car gary/tdf360?
Old 11-05-2006, 07:03 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by tdf360
Having driven both at the track, I disagree. I found the 360 more challenging for sure than the GT3, but it was always honest and MUCH more responsive, almost formula-car like. The only problem I had with the 360 was some sensitivity at high-speed turn-in, but I did drive the car extensively and never came close to spinning. My lap times were in the ballpark with bone-stock GT3's, maybe a second or so slower.

Now the 430 is an entirely different matter. The high-speed turn-in issue is completely gone, the chassis utterly predictable, maybe actually not as much fun as the 360 in that sense, but much faster. The 430 chassis dynamics are unparalleled in my experience among street machines.

Gary
Several things that I have noticed with the Ferrari that are contrary to your experience.

First, the rear end. One second it's sticking like glue, next split second you hit a mid corner undulation and you are into opposite lock trying to stay ahead of the car. Same corner in the GT3 or 997S? It just moves in a very tractable manner and is easily gathered up with no drama.

As for steering, the 360 suffers from bumpsteer worse than the GT3, which is not the poster child for steering linearity. As you turn in, it takes a set and the corner tightens and you need to stay on top of it with small corrections to keep your intended path. In direct contrast, the 997 is incredibly accurate.

And, the rear end doesn't communicate nearly as well as the 911s. The rear wheels are more 'disconnected' to the driver than in the 911.

Hey, I got no axe to grind. Just stating what I feel after 2500 miles on my car.

The 430, well, the best I can tell (never driven one) is that it rights the wrongs of the 360 chassis, just as the 997 chassis has addressed shortcomings in the 996 car. I was really close to going for a 430, but at 2x the cost of a GT3, I decided that I have to be a bit more fiscally responsible. I don't have the jack to put into a car like that unless I know 120% it is perfect and a long term keeper.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:12 PM
tdf360
Pro

Originally Posted by icon
how did you get the chance to drive a formula car gary/tdf360?
Formula Ford for 6 seasons in NorCal SCCA.

Gary
Old 11-05-2006, 09:14 PM
tdf360
Pro

Several things that I have noticed with the Ferrari that are contrary to your experience.

First, the rear end. One second it's sticking like glue, next split second you hit a mid corner undulation and you are into opposite lock trying to stay ahead of the car. Same corner in the GT3 or 997S? It just moves in a very tractable manner and is easily gathered up with no drama.

As for steering, the 360 suffers from bumpsteer worse than the GT3, which is not the poster child for steering linearity. As you turn in, it takes a set and the corner tightens and you need to stay on top of it with small corrections to keep your intended path. In direct contrast, the 997 is incredibly accurate.

And, the rear end doesn't communicate nearly as well as the 911s. The rear wheels are more 'disconnected' to the driver than in the 911.
Interesting that our impressions are so different. I felt no bump steer in my 360 at all, unlike in the GT3. Both great cars, but I felt the 360 was sharper in its responses with fewer vices.

Gary
Old 11-06-2006, 12:21 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, was happened to all the experts who wanted character, hard core NO SUNROOF racers, no traction /stabilty control help, so called die hard enthusiasts who know it all when it comes to performance and were looking for that elusive raw feel begging Porsche to go back to the stone age so they could get this feel ? Being a little twitchy at the limit scares you guys now, was happened, maybe Porsche was right to provide a idiot proof parachute for all you "Racers".

But I knew this all along, witnessing those same forum keyboard warriors show their "skills" at Willow Springs , never had a better laugh.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:02 AM
frayed
Race Car

pp, not sure WTF you are talking about or who you are addressing. The GT3 I owned felt good on the track, although it was a PITA as a daily driver. As far as 'idiot proof parachutes' are concerned, the GT3 had none and the Ferrari has both traction control and adjustable suspension. So I don't get your point.

------------

Gary, based on your comments, I'm going to have the car checked out this week. Haven't had the alignment checked. What tires did you run on the track?
Old 11-06-2006, 03:15 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You digging that 993? Miss the E46? Gonna start calling around see how soon I can get one.
love it. miss it. still barnyarding for the bigger house. Hopefully after that I'll get a GT3. I still think your nutz for letting that one go for a 997S.

Going to track day Friday. Haven't seen tracktime since number 2 was born.

Best of luck. If you're in Houston PM me.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:45 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pole position
LOL, was happened to all the experts who wanted character, hard core NO SUNROOF racers, no traction /stabilty control help, so called die hard enthusiasts who know it all when it comes to performance and were looking for that elusive raw feel begging Porsche to go back to the stone age so they could get this feel ? Being a little twitchy at the limit scares you guys now, was happened, maybe Porsche was right to provide a idiot proof parachute for all you "Racers".
But I knew this all along, witnessing those same forum keyboard warriors show their "skills" at Willow Springs , never had a better laugh.
guy's like you are great for the sport!
always thinking of others and trying to help.
i just want to say it's greatly appreciated!
Old 11-06-2006, 10:38 AM
tdf360
Pro

Gary, based on your comments, I'm going to have the car checked out this week. Haven't had the alignment checked. What tires did you run on the track?
Like Porsche, many (most?) Ferraris are in need of a track alignment. I don't know if settings change during break-in or what, but they are usually a bit out of spec, and it doesn't take much rear toe discrepancy to cause some undue excitement.

I ran the first couple of track days with the OE Bridgestones, and later with RA-1's.

Gary
Old 11-06-2006, 10:40 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heh, dood if there's one person on the board who is more fickle than me. . . .
I sometimes think about putting mooty on ignore because he makes it easy for me to validate and justify my own base desires . . .

Quick Reply: Ferrari---->GT3