Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What makes a GT2 and GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 05:45 PM
stuka
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LUISJR993
I use Farmers for the 05 GT3 ($1300) our 03 Land Rover Disco ($750) and home.
Your GT2 is worth considerably more, is harder to replace and is more of a liablilty hp wise than my car too.
My lawyer wife, after reviewing the Farmers exclusion clause, told me flat out that the GT2 will never see the track until we get another insurance company. She does not think that the Farmers will cover DE due to the way the exclusion clause is worded.

AmEx was great, and she was fine with us tracking the Turbo back then since DE is covered:

Body injury or property damage resulting from the ownership, maintenance or use of a vehicle when used in prepartion for any prearranged of organized racing, speed, demolition or stunting contest or activity, or for the event itself.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:22 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by stuka
My lawyer wife, after reviewing the Farmers exclusion clause, told me flat out that the GT2 will never see the track until we get another insurance company. She does not think that the Farmers will cover DE due to the way the exclusion clause is worded.

AmEx was great, and she was fine with us tracking the Turbo back then since DE is covered:

Body injury or property damage resulting from the ownership, maintenance or use of a vehicle when used in prepartion for any prearranged of organized racing, speed, demolition or stunting contest or activity, or for the event itself.
That is good to know. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:00 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 614 Posts

I am 29, and looking for a job ;-(

I bought my first Porsche (GT3) for Cash at 27.

My insurance is thru USAA and its CHEAP!! I pay for $2400 for 1 year for 3 cars for me and wife (26).
I also have low ($250) deductable and umbrella policy.

I have no idea how much the ins. is going to be on the RUF RGT, but I am excited and getting ready to send in my non-refundable 30%, as soon as they get an ordering guide.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:25 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

why is your deductible so low?
Old 10-12-2006, 02:45 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 614 Posts

I asked to lower it because I got tired of paying for cracked windsheild at the track @ $750 a pop.

Its not that bad, I only pay $110 more a year for the $500 less deductable, so I hedged myself that even if I dont replace a windsheild in 4 years I am cool. The 5th year I start losing.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:51 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

makes sense or cents in this case...
Old 10-12-2006, 06:24 PM
ryce
Instructor

mine is about $1100/year in oregon and state farm policy with no exclusion for de. 53 yr old lawyer. my 3 is the only car i've ever owned that i've wanted to keep forever and, if i do so, it will be a cheap car in the long run.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:30 AM
atan888
Three Wheelin'

good driver $2600/year for both 2 and 3 with multi car discount. 21st century insurance for me... 35 yrs old simple guy with simple taste, only the best.

Last edited by atan888; 11-12-2007 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:41 PM
dmc90025
Instructor

AZ cheaper than LA, land of wackos (yeah, I'll admit I am sometimes a contributor to misbehaving. I am improving myself after reading stuff here).

eSurance $1200, clean record, credit report (yes they look at that crap too).
Old 11-17-2006, 11:39 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by stuka

Body injury or property damage resulting from the ownership, maintenance or use of a vehicle when used in prepartion for any prearranged or organized racing, speed, demolition or stunting contest or activity, or for the event itself.
Can't say that I agree with your wife...if a DE isn't an "organized speed activity", I don't know what is.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:55 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,274 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by atan888
good driver $2600/year for both 2 and 3 with multi car discount. 21st century insurance for me... 35 yrs old simple guy with simple taste, only the best.

Hey Atan888,

Is that a cup wing on the Gt3? I like the way it looks. Is it painted or did you leave it with the CF look? Can't tell from this distance. Would love to see more close ups of the stable.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:11 AM
dmc90025
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Can't say that I agree with your wife...if a DE isn't an "organized speed activity", I don't know what is.
Good catch because that's exactly what will happen once the claims folks investigate. Better have a trailor and haul it off to some place for one of those mysterious single car events along the side of some canyon.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:26 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dmc90025
Good catch because that's exactly what will happen once the claims folks investigate. Better have a trailor and haul it off to some place for one of those mysterious single car events along the side of some canyon.
I agree. Given the wording in most of the exclusion clauses I've seen here (including mine which seems to be a little looser than this one), I'm guessing any claim made for damage at a track would be quickly rejected regardless of the type of event. Now it's up to you. Do you press this through the legal system vs. deep pockets Insurance Co. who do this all the time?? I bet the insurance company would be willing to take the risk that you'd blink and decide it wasn't worth the potential expense. And in court after the Insurance Co lawyer got done showing some pictures from a "DE" event of modified P-cars, Evo's, S2000's, etc. you'd better hope the judge is a sympathetic track-junkie.

That's just a non-lawyer's opinion though. I wonder if anyone on the forum has, or knows of someone who has actually made a claim for vehicle damage at a track event and collected. Maybe I underestimate the fairness and goodwill of the insurance industry
Old 02-20-2007, 04:38 AM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
It depends on the group. The group that I run with has had no problems with claims.

For instance, it is doubtful that if something happens to you at say, oh, Speed Venture, that you will be covered. But then, they are hardly what I would call DE, which is Drivers Education.

General track days are probably not covered, as there are no instruction going on.

With insurance, if it's not excluded, it is covered.

And yes, I also used to work in the slimy insurance business.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:40 AM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by mjb
That's just a non-lawyer's opinion though. I wonder if anyone on the forum has, or knows of someone who has actually made a claim for vehicle damage at a track event and collected. Maybe I underestimate the fairness and goodwill of the insurance industry
The group that I run with is pretty safe, but throughout the years, there have been about 10 incidents out of about 40 track days.

All were covered, because the insurance had nothing to argue against. This is no simple track time, nor carnage on wheel, er, NASA.

But you don't get as much track time.

Can't have everything.

Quick Reply: What makes a GT2 and GT3?