Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The "wart" and GT-3 Sport Chrono option(s)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 03:46 PM
Mark FM
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Default The "wart" and GT-3 Sport Chrono option(s)

I have read all of the posts concerning the "Sport Chrono" (Plus) option(s) and am still confussed. I really dislike the look of the dash mounted "wart" associated with the Sport Chrono options, but I do not want to give up any performance features. I know that the GT-3 comes standard with the Sport Button, but do you have anymore performance flexibility with the Sport Chrono option(s)?

I do not care about window,light, door lock and temperature setting options, but I do care about throttle response mapping and the ability to have a somewhat less intrusive traction/skid control. My question is does the Sport Chrono package offer a different traction/skid control matrix of settings over and above what the standard Sport Button has to offer?

Thanks for any clarification you can give me since I must spec out my car this next week.

Mark
Old 09-15-2006, 08:03 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

When “Sport” mode is selected, as much as 18.44 lb.-ft. of additional torque is available in the medium rev range, i.e., below the point of maximum torque,
as well the TC threshold raised higher still by pressing the Sport button on the center console.

Sport Crono is just the timer and the "Wart"

Old 09-16-2006, 08:57 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,691 Likes on 2,339 Posts

mjones.
does that mean if i dont opt for the sport chrono, i will still have the "sport" button.
or does the "sport" button ONLY comes with sport chrono?
i really really really hate the wart. more so than having the sunroof.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:34 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the GT3, the sport button comes regardless you chose Sport Chrono or not.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:29 PM
Mark FM
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Thank you everyone. I spec'ed my car today with no "wart". I appreciate your input!

Mark
Old 09-26-2006, 11:18 AM
frayed
Race Car

The wart's a silly option on the GT3, and I hated the increased thottle mapping of the sport mode on my 997S. Made the car a PITA to drive and the gas pedal non-linear. I wish manufacturers would stop with the agressive throttle tip-in in an attempt to fool the driver that the car is faster than it really is.

mooty, you getting one? I'm still trying to figure out how to have a ferrari and a porsche and a bmw and keep my marriage intact.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:11 PM
E4VLL
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are none of you worried about giving up the lap timing element of the Sport Chrono pack? If you're leaving PCM off (which I assume many will do despite the horrible vanilla dash it leaves you with), I can see SC being totally useless but for those that don't care about the extra 500g that PCM adds, Sport Chrono seems a fair option for lap timing, etc
Old 09-26-2006, 04:16 PM
ChrisGB
Track Day

I REALLy dislike the too-busy PCM dash and am relieved the GT3 comes without it! Each to his own of course. Are you thinking of getting a GT3 nomis ?
I didn't spec SC on my GT3, because a good old-fashioned stopwatch will do the trick well enough, and is aesthetically the better choice.
Reading this, it's still not clear to me if the standard GT3 sport button remaps the throttle ? I assume not.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:21 PM
E4VLL
Instructor

The SC on the GT3 and GT3 RS does NOT remap the throttle - as others have said on this topic, 'Sport' is always on - so unless you have PCM and SC you get nothing more than the 'wart' (as it's being called on this thread). If you have PCM and CS on the GT3/RS, you gain the lap timer function and sport display.

The sad things is while people are happy to talk it down - with good reason - the only two cars that it really makes sense on (3/RS) are the ones it's being left off.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:42 PM
E4VLL
Instructor

You come across as so arrogant in your posting style and I'm not sure why?

Firstly, tell me what SC does, if I've confused the issue?

As for your other points, we'll get to them once you've answered point one.

Oh and ps - not everyone lives in NA

(but I can tell you do with your half page signature...)
Old 09-26-2006, 06:55 PM
frayed
Race Car

It's good that the wart doesn't change throttle mapping as on other 997's.

Anyway, nomis, if you are serious about lap times, just get proper lap timer. Same money and far more accurate than pushing the windshield wiper button twice at the start finish line. It's a gimmick IMO.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:20 PM
E4VLL
Instructor

Originally Posted by frayed
Anyway, nomis, if you are serious about lap times, just get proper lap timer. Same money and far more accurate than pushing the windshield wiper button twice at the start finish line. It's a gimmick IMO.
Jeff, I'd have to say I agree with you but someone I trust in Porsche Retail Group suggested it would be a negative to not have it.

Really am torn because I agree it's a silly option for just timing.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:23 PM
frayed
Race Car

So they said it's important for resale? I have a hard time believing that, considering it's appearance and true lack of functionality. Perhaps they are wishing it so, and by saying it over and over, they hope it to come true. LOL.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:14 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

639 Sport Chrono Pkg W/Out PCM
Includes analog timer system on the dashboard and digital
timer in instrument dials.

640 Sport Chrono Package
Package includes analog and digital chronometer, display in the PCM, also adds ability
to adjust lighting, wipers, AC and door locking to suit personal preference.

In theory the SC is a great idea with PCM having the graphic color coded display in the PCM showing at a glance if you are faster, slower or the same time.
However the implementation to make it work SUCKS...and when you are 110% focused on driving it is a pain to execute.

Believe me I've tried to successfully make it work on my S ...I gave up.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:53 AM
E4VLL
Instructor

Okay - here is the exact wording from the Porsche Product Information Manual (for internal staff - NOT the brochure): -

8.7 Chrono Package (option)

The 'new' Chrono Package option which is being introduced for the 911 GT3 is based on the "Sport Chrono Package" option for the current Boxster and "Sport Chrono Package Plus" option for the 911 Carrera generation. The sports functions such as sporty engine and chassis set-up which are normally activated in the 911 Carrera and Boxster models via Sports button on the centre console come as standard on the new 911 GT3. For the new 911 GT3, the scope of features is thus limited to the analogue stopwatch on the dashboard and the digital stopwatch on the instrument cluster.

Chrono Package Plus (option)

The new "Chrono Package Plus" option for the 911 GT3 is also based on the Chrono Package option. This option additional (sic) incorporates the "Plus" features from the Sport Chrono Package Plus option for the current 911 Carrera generation. This option includes the following additional features:
- Performance display in the PCM
- Individual memory
Note: The Chrono Package Plus option can only be ordered for the new 911 GT3 in conjunction with the PCM option including navigation module.

[END of quote]

I trust that is what I said in a Readers Digest version earlier in this thread?

Icon, I'll drop you a PM to answer your other questions

Quick Reply: The "wart" and GT-3 Sport Chrono option(s)