Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston
View Poll Results: Do you support option 652?
I'm ordering a 911 but I wish I could order 652 Delete Sunroof"
37.60%
I'm ordering a 911 and I want to have a sunroof.
13.60%
I'm not ordering a 911 because of the "mandatory" sunroof option.
48.80%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

997 GT3 "Option 652 Delete Sunroof" Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 04:03 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche has zero reason to offer the delete the hole. If all of you that have orders a car withdraw there will be 2 people to take your place.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:12 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you're probably right and that makes Porsche definitely wrong. : )
Jack
Old 08-03-2006, 06:58 PM
Andrew_K
Intermediate

my understanding is that the RS will not come with a sunroof option
Andrew
Old 08-06-2006, 05:50 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

It's mildly shocking to me that I'm about the only person who's pointed out that any CAYENNE model can be purchased without a sunroof ALL DAY LONG, while a Carrera cannot.

This is not a crash test issue; this is a 'what-the-buyers-demand' issue. My impression is that PCNA justified the cost of crashing a sunroofless Cayenne because there was an audience of people who wanted the cheapest Porsche (and Cayenne) possible, which is a sunroofless Cayenne V6. Correspondingly, there needs to be an audience of people who want sunroofless Carreras in order for PCNA to respond. This audience is you, the Rennlist member group. I think the mass letter-writing campaign is a good idea. Trying to collect $200k to crash a 997 is not.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:58 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Amen brother. But don't forget the very interesting possibility that the caymen may still be the performance porsche of the future with the 911 continuing its morph into the gt class.
Bring on the cayman club port (sans sunroof)!!

Jack
Old 08-06-2006, 07:52 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Let's not forget that it would be almost impossible to fit a 997-sized sunroof in a Cayman chassis, and as sunroofs go, the 997's is fairly small. I think that if Porsche could've fit a sunroof in the Cayman, they would've: profit maximization, right?

I'm not opposed to they Cayman taking over the Porsche line as the 'it' performance model, but there will always be a contingent of rear-engine diehards who will take their 911s no other way. And of those guys, some will always hate sunroofs
Old 08-06-2006, 11:06 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think you can get a Cayenne without a sunroof and I've tried to get it with the manual transmission option to no avail.
Why PCNA chooses to put up a false explanation for their impositions escapes me.
This topic has arisen in so many threads on so many forums, it's futile to keep all of them up to date, so check any of the forums or Web sites for the latest speculation whatever the hull is going on with the GT3.
I'm thinking a 996 GT3 or a 993 with sunroof delete just for fun.
I'm sure the 997 GT3 will be an awesome car and pulling out the sunroof to shed 50lbs up there will be fine for me, but it's so long delayed now anyway, it's all getting a bit too ludicrous and my order my not be fulfilled until well into next year. Patience.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:57 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I don't think you can get a Cayenne without a sunroof and I've tried to get it with the manual transmission option to no avail.
In the U.S., a sunroof is a stand-alone option on every Cayenne model (Cayenne V6, Cayenne S, Cayenne Turbo, and Cayenne Turbo S). This is a fact. Check with your dealer or a PDF order guide. It's possible to order a fully-loaded CTTS WITHOUT a sunroof. Most wouldn't recommend such a beast based on resale reasons - a sunroof car often sells easier than a sunroofless car - but of course it's your option.

Also in the U.S., a manual trans is available only in conjunction with the V6 motor, and from what I'm told they're quite few and far between. Of course you can order always whatever you want.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:33 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

if they delete the suroof they won't lose sales, by making it mandatory they lose sales, so doesnt it make sense to delete it for everyone. millions of dollars for crash testing? then petition the govt for a variance, didnt bil gates use a computer sim to certify a 959? can you imagina a F430 w/a sunroof? ..... neither can I, the sunfrof is worhtless the posers can always buy a cabrio.... has the world gone crazy? a sunroof in a GT3 aaahhhhhhhhhhhhhrrrrrggghhhhhhh
Old 08-08-2006, 11:08 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

dark knight: Porsche's experience with the 996 GT3 goes against your premise. Many GT3s where turned shortly after bought due to the car being too rough for the sensative buyers. Then they had some that took a long time to sell because the word was out that the car was scary. It is all bullsh*t but the fact is that the "track rat" of which I am one, is a small minority and becomes smaller every year in the Porsche demographic.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:15 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
dark knight: Porsche's experience with the 996 GT3 goes against your premise. Many GT3s where turned shortly after bought due to the car being too rough for the sensative buyers. Then they had some that took a long time to sell because the word was out that the car was scary. It is all bullsh*t but the fact is that the "track rat" of which I am one, is a small minority and becomes smaller every year in the Porsche demographic.

that is exactly the problem too many people buying the car and not knowing what it really is, sensitive buyers should buy a tip turbo not a GT,I just try to be optimistic and hope PCNA hears our cries and does something,
Old 08-24-2006, 02:33 AM
Realek4
Cruisin'

Im Going to wait an hope they offer the sunroof delete option. And if it doesnt come then i wll settle for a used gt3 in the far future.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:25 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roberga - how did you get GENII PCCB's onto your '04 GT3? and if i may ask, at why cost?
Old 08-24-2006, 03:03 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,205 Likes on 657 Posts

I know of someone who had them changed to Gen II. The dealer did it FREE of charge.

The guy bitched enough that the dealer changed the whole Gen I to Gen II. Did I mention it was for FREE!!!
Old 08-24-2006, 05:40 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

cos... that was me. The dealer was great at helping the effort. I really can not go into details but it was not handled as a warrenty issue.

By the way they are better in every way. The fronts wear like the rears.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 "Option 652 Delete Sunroof" Group Buy