997 GT3 - US version

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 09:05 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
LOL, why do you think my instrument panel looks like xmas tree.
PSM light on.
air bag light on.
TPMS light on.
the red exclamation light on.
only recently did i succeed in killing off the air bag light...
We've had our disagreements - but if your dash is like a christmas tree, you can't be all bad
Old 04-05-2006, 09:08 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 930man
the car will be a hardcore car. No offense to anyone but i seriously doubt that many of the people ordering one will ever drive the the car to its potential...simular to the 996 GT3 owners. they may drive them hard as to their abilities but not to the cars abilities.
I don't know what you're talking about - there are plenty of guys who drive their GT3s to their limits. It's an awesome car, but it's not brain surgery.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:19 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
I don't know what you're talking about - there are plenty of guys who drive their GT3s to their limits. It's an awesome car, but it's not brain surgery.
I bet he is more right than you are. Sure, there are a few guys out there who drive their GT3s to the limit. However, I bet you from a statistical standpoint, those guys represent an extraordinarily small percentage of GT3 owners, even if you include the guys who track their GT3s all the time.

Just because you have a fast time on the track doesn't necessarily mean that you are anywhere near the GT3's limits. In other words, GT3s can make good drivers look great, even if they are driving at their limit rather than the car's limit.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:45 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
I want a car that most people will say, "that guy is just f#@^&! nuts driving that on public roads, its just too harsh, too loud, and has no creature comforts!"
Add "hard to get in and out of" to your list and it seems that you want a Lotus Exige!
Old 04-05-2006, 10:02 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TD in DC
I bet he is more right than you are. Sure, there are a few guys out there who drive their GT3s to the limit. However, I bet you from a statistical standpoint, those guys represent an extraordinarily small percentage of GT3 owners, even if you include the guys who track their GT3s all the time.

Just because you have a fast time on the track doesn't necessarily mean that you are anywhere near the GT3's limits. In other words, GT3s can make good drivers look great, even if they are driving at their limit rather than the car's limit.
I agree, most new cars (including the GT3) can post fast lap times with an average driver. I roll my eyes every time I see a TT or Viper or Gallardo posting the same laps I do in my 993. But...

1) I know a few people with GT3s who are excellent drivers
2) Just because someone can't push the GT3 to its limits, doesn't mean they can't enjoy the feeling of a no compromises sportscar.

The issue here isn't a few 10ths of a second per lap, that's not what we're whining about - if that were the case, we'd all be driving Radical SR8's. It's about enjoying our cars. And I think it's great if someone likes the old school feeling, regardless of his driving abilities.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:17 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Hey, don't get me wrong, track cars can be very enjoyable to drive at the limit of the driver's capabilities even if those limits are substantially lower than the limits of the car. I just think that Boss was right about how most of us will never get to the limits of our cars. Of course there are a few who do.

And I don't think it has anything to do with new school vs. old school feel you crafty bastard trying to work that same theme into every post of yours (there, did you see that smiley? )

And I also think I am not talking about tenths of seconds but full seconds. I am relatively new to this sport, but I keep shaving seconds off my times each time I visit the track. The last time I was at VIR in my 996 on street tires, my times averaged about 2:24. This past weekend at VIR in my n/a 944 on RA1s, I was averaging times around 2:27-2:30. A few people told me that I was driving the wheels off my car, but then I go and look up the times of some really good 44 cup racers and see that they have done it in 2:18. Nine seconds is an eternity. And I bet that a pro driver could shave even more seconds off of that! My point is that a really great driver can squeeze blood from a stone, and most of us aren't anywhere near getting out every last drop, which is a good thing because the sport might become pointless if there were nowhere else to go
Old 04-06-2006, 12:11 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Todd, just go get a GT3!
Old 04-06-2006, 12:21 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Todd, just go get a GT3!
Get thee behind me . . .

We both know how badly I want one. Nonetheless, I think I have much to learn rolling around in the low HP gutter for the moment.

Sorry to hear about the seal issues. I am sure they will take care of you. Having a good dealer is 99% of the way towards the solution. I am glad to hear you enjoyed VIR. Hope to see you soon.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:50 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
Add "hard to get in and out of" to your list and it seems that you want a Lotus Exige!
Yep except the Exige/Elise look so whacky!!(no offence) And the engine is too far forward!!
Old 04-06-2006, 02:12 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Hey, don't get me wrong, track cars can be very enjoyable to drive at the limit of the driver's capabilities even if those limits are substantially lower than the limits of the car. I just think that Boss was right about how most of us will never get to the limits of our cars. Of course there are a few who do.

And I don't think it has anything to do with new school vs. old school feel you crafty bastard trying to work that same theme into every post of yours (there, did you see that smiley? )
lol
Old 04-06-2006, 08:34 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a sunroof is about 50 lbs because of all the reinforcement,rails,motors,wires....
Old 04-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Guys,

I don't see how people not being able to do 10/10 with an GT3 is an issue.

For me, it's all about pimpin'. Sunroof, sat nav (the damn screen is hidious!), cupholders etc. are all just pimpin and not needed in a sportscar. Porsche currently offeers like 7 000 different models (way they define them, C2, C2S, C4 etc.) and they all are very mich pimped, so why can't there be one, listen, ONE model that's not pimped with sunroof etc.?!

If pimp wants to have fast car, get a turbo cabriolet or something, issue is not whether someone can go 10/10 with GT3, issue is to have ONE model that's not been pimped to death!

At the moment, GT3 is the less pimped out Porsche model (even though it also desperately needs that Gernman Engineer to "un-pimp my auto") soat least for me, like I said, even if I'd be only going to the church with my 80+ years old grandma with a Porsche, that would be the model from the new car line-up I would get.

And don't even start with marketing bull**** etc. for Porsche, having one "track oriented" model is good for marketing and commercials because they can still go with the "Porsche, meant for track, racing" etc.
And for me too! This way I can still be proud of Porsche when they have at least one model that's not pimped!
Old 04-06-2006, 10:54 AM
billatlanta
Racer

Originally Posted by Rolo
I agree, if I make the move it will be in the secondary market.

btw, you doing the DE in June? Silver, Hassi and I are doing it along with a few other guys
Yes, I am planning on being there. I think we need to get the applications within the next few days. Thanks for the reminder. Looks foward to seeing you.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:49 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Guys,

I don't see how people not being able to do 10/10 with an GT3 is an issue.

For me, it's all about pimpin'. Sunroof, sat nav (the damn screen is hidious!), cupholders etc. are all just pimpin and not needed in a sportscar. Porsche currently offeers like 7 000 different models (way they define them, C2, C2S, C4 etc.) and they all are very mich pimped, so why can't there be one, listen, ONE model that's not pimped with sunroof etc.?!

If pimp wants to have fast car, get a turbo cabriolet or something, issue is not whether someone can go 10/10 with GT3, issue is to have ONE model that's not been pimped to death!

At the moment, GT3 is the less pimped out Porsche model (even though it also desperately needs that Gernman Engineer to "un-pimp my auto") soat least for me, like I said, even if I'd be only going to the church with my 80+ years old grandma with a Porsche, that would be the model from the new car line-up I would get.

And don't even start with marketing bull**** etc. for Porsche, having one "track oriented" model is good for marketing and commercials because they can still go with the "Porsche, meant for track, racing" etc.
And for me too! This way I can still be proud of Porsche when they have at least one model that's not pimped!
By my count, there are only about 10 of us who feel this way on Rennlist. I don't understand it!!
Old 04-06-2006, 12:58 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't care if the 997GT3 comes sunny roofed, pasm, tc, cruise controlled, comfort seats, navi, pumpin stereo, etc, That car doesn't call my attention. It should not be called GT3, it should be called Carrera RS.

If Porsche is fitting a sunny roof on the GT3 after 7 years, is because people requested it. They did their numbers and people will buy their cars. I've seen comments from people looking at my car saying "no sunroof?", so it doesn't surprise me.

I don't care as long as they bring a hardcore 911, a 997 GT3 RS will do.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 - US version